Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
New graphic novel Gods of Asgard by Erik Evensen

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:32 am
http://www.godsofasgard.com/

"Gods of Asgard is a full-length graphic novel interpretation of the Norse myths, drawing on English translations of the original source material. It is a lifelong dream of artist/author Erik Evensen, who realized that although the mythology figures prominently in the world of comics, a true, straightforward adaptation has a never been published."

what do you think ?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:54 am
I plan to get a copy.

I'll let folks know what I think after I have it.

The draw back I can see a mile away is that many of the early English Translations had the monk's personal ideas and theologies washed over the Eddas and Sagas- so depending on which translation is used (as with any source text) it might be amazing or dreadful.

The art looks nice though.  

TeaDidikai

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:23 am
Yes it may suffer from such translations and Personally I worry about certain stylised images of Gods becoming too embedded in people minds and ending up as astral trash.

Anyone else got comic renditions for thier gods or gods that they deal with which they love or abhor ?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:56 am
ShadowSharrow
Yes it may suffer from such translations and Personally I worry about certain stylised images of Gods becoming too embedded in people minds and ending up as astral trash.

Anyone else got comic renditions for thier gods or gods that they deal with which they love or abhor ?

There's a comic that runs in a newspaper I get called Ink Pen that features Tyr as a character every now and then. He's been in a few good ones involving a search for a job, being stronger then a superhero or not, and becoming a bodyguard.

Daily Comic  

PhantomPhoenix0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:58 am
ShadowSharrow
I tend not to worry about "astral trash", largely due to paradigm.

However- I would also pause to call what is likely someone else's God-Like-Thoughtform trash. Just because they aren't what we worship does not mean they are trash. wink

Quote:
For small favors- no, thank goodness.

I have a hard enough time keeping track of pop-culture's image of my ethnicity, let alone my deities. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:21 pm
TeaDidikai

However- I would also pause to call what is likely someone else's God-Like-Thoughtform trash. Just because they aren't what we worship does not mean they are trash. wink

Oh there are many gods that I do not worship and don't have contact with that
I respect as gods, I certainly didn't mean them.

I meant more along the lines of seeing pokemon constructs up there with the same type of constructs ( which are not gods ) which are based of an idea of a god, ie the morrigan love godess /me twitches all of which are in the subastral layer.

Now I know certain types of magicians use such things but that if a far cry from worshipping them.

TeaDidikai

I have a hard enough time keeping track of pop-culture's image of my ethnicity, let alone my deities. sweatdrop

Ouch.

Well we have had our own cultural learning curve about some of those matters here in Ireland of late, my daughter has a child who was born here who's parents are Roma and they get on thankfully very well, so much so she calls the children who call her friend a "gyspy" or a "traveler" stupidheads.  

ShadowSharrow

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:39 pm
ShadowSharrow

Oh there are many gods that I do not worship and don't have contact with that
I respect as gods, I certainly didn't mean them.

I meant more along the lines of seeing pokemon constructs up there with the same type of constructs ( which are not gods ) which are based of an idea of a god, ie the morrigan love godess /me twitches all of which are in the subastral layer.

Now I know certain types of magicians use such things but that if a far cry from worshipping them.
And others do worship them actually. Even hold some of them as patrons and the like.

TeaDidikai
Ouch.

Well we have had our own cultural learning curve about some of those matters here in Ireland of late, my daughter has a child who was born here who's parents are roma and they get on thankfully very well, so much so she calls the children who call her friend a "gyspy" or a "traveler" stupidheads.
Ick. Interesting. I thought I heard something about Rroma being banned from immigration into Ireland in order to preserve the Irish Traveler culture.

(pst- caps on the R wink )  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:32 pm
TeaDidikai
And others do worship them actually. Even hold some of them as patrons and the like.

How odd, guides and guardians and construct I can understand but to worship confused

TeaDidikai
Ick. Interesting. I thought I heard something about Rroma being banned from immigration into Ireland in order to preserve the Irish Traveler culture.

I have not heard anything of the sort what so ever not in the press, the media or from pavee point.

Infact Pavee Point Travellers centre which home to the Rroma Support group and has been working with the Rroma community in Ireland since 2000. At with where I live having the highest % of migrant population in the capital city there are several Rroma families in my immediate area.

http://www.paveepoint.ie/news/focus-week06-roma.html

TeaDidikai
pst- caps on the R wink )

Sorry about that.  

ShadowSharrow

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:49 pm
ShadowSharrow

How odd, guides and guardians and construct I can understand but to worship confused
Not really any more unreasonable than paying worship to anything else. ~Shrugs~ Really- we can't prove anything about the nature of divinity.

Don't see a reason my "invisiable best friends" are more valid than someone else's. That doesn't make these thoughtforms deities- but if they want to worship them, can't say I am going to give a flying grasshopper's arse.

Quote:

I have not heard anything of the sort what so ever not in the press, the media or from pavee point.

Infact Pavee Point Travellers centre which home to the Rroma Support group and has been working with the Rroma community in Ireland since 2000. At with where I live having the highest % of migrant population in the capital city there are several Rroma families in my immediate area.

http://www.paveepoint.ie/news/focus-week06-roma.html
Very interesting indeed. I don't know much about the Rroma population in Ireland. Most of my work has been with those in the Czech Republic- due to the human rights violations.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:46 pm
He spells 'Erik' with a 'k.' Everything he says concerning Norse deities must therefore be true.

Be prepared to wildly change your beliefs, AsatruaR.

whee  

Kalyani Srijoi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:52 pm
I reserved my copy.

I'm looking forward to seeing if I like this or Brat-halla better. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:48 am
Heilsan Allir,

Can we get a Comic Artist whom doesn't have a pre-teen breast fetish to do a comic once in a while? Also, frankly, the first few pages that are available as a preview, are sending out alarm bells... but then, I wish I could draw to the level where I could do something myself. Oh well, I'll just have to write stuff and let others build images in their own minds LOL

Ver thu heil  

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:56 am
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Can we get a Comic Artist whom doesn't have a pre-teen breast fetish to do a comic once in a while?

Those are rare, whether professionally or privately. I find it interesting that his Hel is half dead, half alive vertically instead of the horizontally that is mentioned in Lore.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:50 pm
What warning bells Ulfrikr inn Hrafn? (And what can I shorten your name to? sweatdrop )  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:52 pm
TeaDidikai
What warning bells Ulfrikr inn Hrafn? (And what can I shorten your name to? sweatdrop )

He's always accepted Ulfrikr from me. 3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff