Reply The Music Artists Guild
Vocal Help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spectrum_Rhapsody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:17 am
I have sang most of my life, but I have been so shy about it, that I never really sang around people. I got the guts to join choir this year, and after our vocal test, I was told I was a tenor-alto, which I know is typically a guy's voice, but there are girlls that have it too. I can sing rather well on low notes and mid ones, but it's those damn high sounds that I can't do...It sounds so awful, and I don't know what I can do to make it better...Are there any advice or techniques you guys know of? I can hit the note, but it's just the way my voice makes it sound that's awful about it, I can't support it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:07 am
You could ask for help. I'm good at helping people.
You could "train" yourself.
You could just give it up. Some people just aren't made for singing those higher notes.
Another technique that I use. (I'm an alto, so it might be different.) Go up an octave, and that always. helps for me. I can't really get the low notes.
So, I hope that helped.

Linked In

wondering_felcon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:39 pm
Just practic and strech out your voice, there's notes that I'm horribal at when I'm not practicing and doing vocal warm ups but with practic...  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:49 pm
I don't believe in the 'exclusively alto' or 'soprano' type of deal. You're naturally better with a certain register - low/middle/high/very high depending on your speaking voice - since that's the part of the voice you ALWAYS use. The only way to develop your range and strengthen your middle AND high notes is to sing everyday - and you will be able to sing higher and your notes will be stronger. You can do this by buying a singing tape/CD/DVD - instructional, sometimes books come with CDs - go to the bookstore...then use this CD/DVD everyday, or every second day....and you'll see that you'll no longer be labelled as a 'alto-tenor'...

Something I could recommend is Ultimate Voice Coach, Learn to Sing like a Star (paula abdul & Randy jackson - try looking that up on amazon.com or chapters.ca I have it - its a DVD and a CD that is full of vocal exercises...you really have to be dedicated to it and try to set up a schedule so you're not practicing just once a week - cuz nothing will happen then. It's like running once a week if you're competing in Olympics.

Good luck, and message me if you have anymore questions biggrin

Landrina

peacexbass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:35 pm
I am a soprano, but can also go way down to tenor notes, and the thing i do to hit super low notes is sing in a chest voice and for the extra high notes i make sure i'm warmed up and have good breath support from my diaphragm, other than that it's all about letting it loose.

if you're too tense when you're singing out of shyness or whatever then you could be tensing up your tongue muscles or your jaw muscles and you need to relax those more.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:18 pm
i think that what you really need to do is go as high as you possibly can and then maybe since your voice will be stretched, try working in that range that you need and it will obviously seem a lot lower so maybe that will help...
it will probably help you to go high and then come back down but make sure not to do it for too long if it's overly uncomfortable because you don't want to hurt your voice  

baby_beanie13

Spectrum_Rhapsody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:16 pm
Thanks for the help guys! I'll work on it!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:19 pm
One interesting fact: everyone speaks with a deeper voice than the one that is your true frequency. If you want to begin to reach higher notes, you have to relax the voice entirely. Speak a little higher (not ridiculously), drink less carbonated beverages, warm up with "sirens" to stretch your range, and and just continually work up and up.

Actually, no female voice should be used in a tenor range. Teachers like to take advantage of Alto 2s when they have less guys singing, but it is not healthy in the long run for a singer. Just be careful!  

Aryana_99

The Music Artists Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff