Community for those interested in the darker, alternative side of life 

Tags: Alternative, Community, Rock, Chat, Goth 

Reply *The Hall of Diversity*
Mythology Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your favourite era of mythology?
  Ancient Egypt
  Aztec
  Greek
  Roman
  Norse
  Other
View Results

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:12 pm
I for one am interested in mythology, and I know a few of you may be too. so come here to chat about what parts of legend and mythology interest you.

My favourite mythology is that of the Ancient Egyptians, as you can tell by my avatar sometimes xp
I've always loved Ancient Egypt and I would absolutely love to visit Egypt so I could see the temples and pyramids.
I love their culture, and the many different stories they have, like how the world was created. I love their diverse range of Gods, they have somany and each of them are all different and all have their own symbols and stories.
My favourite god is probably Anubis, and secondly Horus. But my favourite myth of all is probably the story of Osiris and the Underworld, and how the dead person's soul is judged to go to Heaven or Hell.
(I'm glad Gaia made a set of scales in their Gift of the Gods collectible, because that's from the Underworld myth)  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:14 am
I had a feeling you'd be behind this thread wink

Personally I love reading about any and all mythology. It's hard to pick a favourite!

For anyone interested in mythology or anything else related to it check out this link Encyclopedia Mythica

Kalvaya

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:19 am
wink

oo thanks for teh link. Thats a pretty good site!! that'll help me with some of my Tomb Raider fanfiction sweatdrop xp

When I was younger I used to have my bedroom set out like an egyptian tomb...I had a carpet that looked like cracked paving, and I drew pictures of gods to stick on the wall sweatdrop xp I had a big sarcophagus on my door with a mummy xp it's nothing like that now, it's all blue lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:55 am
...Did you sleep in a sarcophagus? razz My room is a real mixture of everything...

Going back to the mythology I also like reading legends and folk tales from around the world.

Kalvaya

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 am
lol no I didn't, it was on my wardrobe xp

got a few to share with us?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:44 am
Nothing specific springs to mind right now sweatdrop It's all good.

Kalvaya

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:01 am
xp

what about the Pendle Witches? wink  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:57 am
They're all fascinating, but I voted for 'other' as like like Celtic Mythology.

BTW I think its interesting how what were real religions in ancient times have been denounced as mythology by the 'modern' religions (not naming any in particular). I wonder if a few 1000 years in to the future if those same modern religions will be demoted in a similar way?

Like so many others, Celtic based its pantheon, its celebrations and rituals on the Earth, in relation to other cosmic bodies, the seasons and to the way Nature provided for them. I guess I like it because it's close to home.

Has anyone read Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian trilogy:
Winter King
Enemy of God
Excalibur?

The story brings Celtic, Saxon, Christian and also Roman mythologies all together, the main characters struggle to balance of all these.  

Incinerella
Crew

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:56 am
It's funny you should say that about religion, because I was thinking the same thing as I made this thread. People think that ancient religions were "silly" because they had many gods that made different things, such as gods who made the sun rise etc...but modern humans think that science has proven this to be untrue, and so we believe that our current religions are true...but who says that they are not just merely mythology, just like the old ones.

I find the old religions much more interesting. It's much more enjoyable to look at all the depitions of the different gods and the stories behind them. They always look very elaborate and they all look different in their own way. Wheras having one god (as in christianity) I find a bit boring...plus no one can draw him or say what he looks like...and an old man is a little boring really sweatdrop Not that I believe in any of it anyway.

I don't know much about Celtic Mythology. But I would like to hear about it. 3nodding I'm a believer in astrology so because it's based on the pantheon I'm interested 3nodding
That's another thing...people today think astrology is a load of rubbish, but yet they think it's legitimate to believe in a god who we can't see or even know exists, yet we know the planets exist. Yet, in alot of ancient religions, astrology took a big role, and the people often read the stars in the same way astrologers do. So why have modern day humans disregarded it as a load of rubbish??  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:16 am
Whether or not I believe in something, I do believe that everyone has the right to their own beliefs. My philosophy is I'll respect your beliefs if you respect mine. Besides, I'd have to be exremely arrogant to assume I know and understand everything.

Kalvaya

Kalvaya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:19 am
On a slightly lighter note this thread gives me a chance to plug one of my favourite online comics Go Fish

PLOT SYNOPSIS

"GO FISH is the story of Roger, the blatant atheist. He lives a boring, uneventful, angry life and is a Sophomore at Rosewood college. He is an ichthyology (bio) major.

The night before an exam, Roger is visited by a mouthless god named Baxter. The god mistakes Roger for a theologist (ichthyologist, theologist, get it?) and beseeches him for help in finding a new religion to belong to.

Roger agrees to help the god only because he promises to get Roger a girlfriend (Roger is also a blatant virgin), but Baxter is not all that he seems. There are reasons he no longer has a mouth and now the Realm of the Divine, the population of all gods and religions, seeks to destroy not only Baxter, but Roger as well."

Just a slight warning some of the pages are NSFW ninja And the current strip is a guest one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:53 am
Kalvaya
Whether or not I believe in something, I do believe that everyone has the right to their own beliefs. My philosophy is I'll respect your beliefs if you respect mine. Besides, I'd have to be exremely arrogant to assume I know and understand everything.

I definately agree. I respect anyone who has religious belief cause I believe that everyone needs some faith in their life to help them, even if it's not a religious faith, but a faith in friends or family or love. I just don't like it when people patronize you when you don't believe in their faith, or they try to shove it down your throat and get you to believe it too.
I respect people's beliefs but I do like to debate it and critisize it as long as the other person is ok with that criticism and debate, cause they can criticise me for not believing in anything.

Anyway, I shall take a look at this comic!  

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:40 am
I like that comic by the way!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:30 am
Mythology as it is intended to be...with lots of blood and violence razz

I definitely agree with your comment about people needing to have some believe in their life. I can't begin to asy how much worse my life would be if I didn't have even some faith.

Kalvaya

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:36 am
biggrin

aaanywa, back to mythology sweatdrop xp  
*The Hall of Diversity*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers