Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Call Me Stephanie's Sanctuary [WIP: 7/5/08] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:28 am
User Image

My name is Stephanie (aka Call Me Stephanie). I don't like introductions, but let me make it quick. I'm a 20 year old student who attends a local community college for Early Education. I want to be a daycare owner some day. I have a wonderful boyfriend Brandon who is my best friend. I'm VERY open minded and you can usually see that in my art. I was abused enough in the Art Post and was SO glad when Errol came in to help. I instantly went to the guild in his signature (this guild) and was so happy to be accepted.

I can't wait to start learning and bettering my art.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:30 am
User Image
Expectations
I mainly came here because I was tired of people in the Art Post coming into my threads and purely bashing my art without offering any information except my art was made of "fail". Now, I understand that there are many mistakes in my work, I am not that serious nor have I been working on it that long. All I ask for is pretty much what the guild expects... I'd like people to tell me what they like about my work so I know what to continue doing. I'd also like for them to tell me what they don't like and how to fix it. Please don't just tell me it's wrong and leave it at that... Help me to fix it please! If you can not, maybe point me to a tutorial that can. I'd appreciate it so much you don't even know!

Samples
(Click on a picture to see the full image)
Old samples can be found on my DA link here.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageUser Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Coloring (Note, these line arts were done by s t i c k y k i t t e h and colored by me)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Call Me Stephanie

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:31 am
User Image

So I had this awesome idea for a profile image. Because I so often change my avatars clothes I thought it would be a cute idea to have a picture of my avatar trying on outfits in front of a mirror. But man was it hard!!! Some help would be greatly appreciated and loved and adored and etc. Haha

User Image

Note: The dress is in red because some of it needs erased but I wanted to keep it until I made sure it was alright. I did have a green "blocking" but I forgot to re-show the layer before I took the screen shot.

What will I focus on?
Making a wicked image for my profile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:33 am
User Image

User Image Gaian Art Mentors (for accepting me to this wonderful guild!)
User Image Errol McGillivray (for helping me in the Art Post and for helping me find this guild!)
User Image Ishrie (for great advice!)
User Image godess121 (for advice)
User Image Freaksrus (for advice)

Thank you so much everyone!

Call Me Stephanie

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:34 am
Just in Case  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 am
Just finished!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

(I can't edit my WiP post 'cause my avatar is shifted over top of the buttons! gonk )  

Call Me Stephanie

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:53 am
Well, I was about to do some critiques for you, but the 'pay yo bill' nazis just shut my phone/internet off. Because of some issues with my paychecks, I won't have money until next Friday to pay them. Give me some time and I'll write one up for you.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:05 pm

I thank you. You don't have to write one for that Asian girl picture though... I got enough in the picture post.

Just gotta wait out the people who don't know how to critique until you get one who does.

Hurts the ego some but it's the best Ive got for now it seems.

Call Me Stephanie

Ishrie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:28 pm
First off, I really like your style. It's unique and works with your drawings quite well. You also seem to have a decent grasp on proportions and facial expressions-- I love the bitchplz look on your newest one.

One thing that I notice that you could improve on is your knowledge of color theory. Right now, it seems like you're shading by using different shades of the same color... your rendering would 'pop' much more if you mixed similar (but unrelated) colors to make up your base, highlights, and shadows. Buy a color wheel, and experiment using primaries, secondaries, and tertiaries in your composition, paying close attention to which areas draw your eye, which seem closer, and why.
For instance, if you take a look at this, you'll notice that the base color Tobiee uses is a bit of an unsaturated peach, the highlights are pinks and almost whites, and the shadows are blues and purples. But your eye still registers all these very different colors as a 'skin' tone-- even though there's no such thing as a human with blue or purple skin.

Another thing that I notice is that your poses tend to be a little stiff. This is something that is fixed through practice. Try doing tons of doodles of proportionate stick men in tons of different positions doing tons of different activities. Make sure that they are not made up of straight lines, but that they curve in the natural way bones would (if not exaggerated moreso just a teensy bit). Once you feel comfortable, try incorporating this into your initial guideline stage-- this helps loosen your characters up.

I also think that the way you render hair would look better if you didn't draw it line by line, but instead paid more attention to the direction / intensity of light and the texture of the hair... This tutorial describes it much better than I can. It's kind of like how, when painting a tree, drawing all the individual leaves one by one looks unnatural, but drawing them in clumps looks good...  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:19 am

Homigawsh, thank you so much!

I'm going to try both of these on my next picture. ^_^

Call Me Stephanie

3_twisted_roses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:14 pm
Hey. You have a great ary style going for you, but I suggest working on the anatomy a lil bit. Also try cleaning up the lines wink  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:41 pm
Thank you. ^_^

BTW, Updated!

Call Me Stephanie

Ishrie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:27 pm
It is good that you are trying out guidelines of individual volumes for your pre-drawings.

Your proportions are pretty good in your WIP, but there are a few areas that are just a little bit off. Some things I see in particular are that the shoulders are a little thin, the hands are too small, and the hips are too low.

To fix this, remember that each shoulder is as wide as the head; the hands (from the bottom of the palm to the tip of the middle finger) are at least the length of the face from chin to eyebrows; and on females, the hips start to fan out at or slightly above the navel. It is different between males and females because, in addition to having wider hips, females' hips are more bowl-shaped than males', so that they can support the weight of the uterus during the heavy months of pregnancy.

If the human body is 7 head lengths tall:

-There is one head length between the chin and nipples.
-There is one head length between the nipples and navel / elbows.
-There is one head length between the navel / elbows and the crotch / wrists.
-There is one head length from the crotch / wrists to the middle of the thigh.
-There is one head length from the middle of the thigh to the middle of the calf.
-There is one head length from the middle of the calf to the soles of the feet.

The 7-head measurement is good for drawing stylized people of average height (particularly females). However, many people also use an 8-head measurement, which I've found to be better suited for tall, medium-build males. Really skinny males look kinda stretched out at eight heads. sweatdrop

Once you get comfortable with proportions, feel free to experiment using them to accentuate character. Les triplettes de Belleville did this particularly well. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:42 am
Your facial lines seem off a bit. That's all can add. lol  

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:56 pm
Thank you! I updated it. ^_^

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]