Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Altymai's Sketchebook

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How much work do I need?
  Not much actually (you're joking, right?)
  A little bit
  Some
  A bit
  A lot
  There is no way in heck you'll ever be a decent artists
View Results

XxAltymaixX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:36 pm
About the artist

Altymai Seiryu Lawliet-Jeevas (that's my alias, I don't like using my birthname, even in real life) is my name. I've been drawing anime since third grade, making me drawing for five years exactly in about a month. I do anime only (makes me feel like a poser) but I want to do realism a bit too, my attempts are embarrassing though.

Stuff I have to work with
-opencanvas and photoshop elements
-pencils (mechanical only!)
-colored pencils
-watercolour pencils
-sketchbooks
-bristol
-generic artists markers  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:39 pm
User Image
Yes, I know it's yuri, don't throw a fit please. I tried some different line art styles and coloring techniques with this one.
Materials: Opencanvas 1.1, pencil, tablet
Time: fourty five minutes  

XxAltymaixX

XxAltymaixX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:42 pm
User Image
This is only a doodle, but my friend really likes it, so I'm posting it. Try and ignore the notebook lines please!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:47 pm
User Image
Pretty bold-ish lineart. I want to make this pop art, but I don't know how  

XxAltymaixX

XxAltymaixX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:48 pm
User Image
And I attempt Realism! Sorry if it's hard to see, this was back when my scanner was broken. It's supposed to be Aoi from the Gazette..  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:49 pm
User Image
Fanart, where did his hands go?!  

XxAltymaixX

XxAltymaixX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:50 pm
User Image
Watercolors, wet on dry.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:14 pm
User Image
My CGing...  

XxAltymaixX

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:05 pm
If you want to make your anime more realistic or just plain draw things true to life, you're going to have to at least try. Look at a magazine and draw someone from it. Possibly start with just a face. Let's see what you can do.

Also, it will help to read the articles in the resource/tutorial sticky in the main forum about anatomy and proportion.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:06 am

It seems you really like the anime style. If so, I'd suggest either looking up some anime tutorials online (I'm sure there are some in the guild, I haven't looked yet >_<) on deviant or just through a search engine. You're drawings are cute and full of life (mine always seem so stiff! gonk ). You can make them look even better if you study some anatomy. I wouldn't worry about color too much until you've mastered some anatomy stuff (not saying don't color them, you can if you want, but I wouldn't fret over it).

Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more!

Call Me Stephanie

loontje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:52 am
User Image

Here is a quick paint over, hope it helps wink  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:00 am
Sorry about the long wait! Here's some of my newer pieces!
User Image
User Image
User Image(okay, so it's doodling >.>)
User Image  

XxAltymaixX

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:49 pm

I really like the first one! It's such a cute concept. I can guess it's a Halloween themed picture?

Some things I'd like to point out for next time though, be mindful of anatomy. I'm sure you're tired of hearing that and believe me, nearly every artist is... but it can make or break a perfect picture. I'll focus on the girl because frankly, I'm not very good with males.

I see you're trying to stay more anime-ish. I would suggest taking a look at some of the proportion tutorials on the first page. While on the right track, some things are off. First of all, the girl is much too skinny... let the poor girl have some candy and gain a few pounds! haha Anyway, I think you need to look at the breasts at some different angles. Although you defined them on the outside, there should be some cleavage. I think her arms may be long enough but the hands seem too big. Hands are HARD so don't fret too much. Her hand (on our right) is very odd... I don't even know how it would look at that angle. I suggest either looking in the mirror to see what it would look like or find a picture like it. Also, the middle finger looks too short. Her legs are uneven in thickness and it really throws things off.

All in all, it's a very cute picture and I really like it. I love the feeling of the picture. Reminds me when I was young.... oh weren't those the days! Kudos on the awesome picture and keep practicing. I can't wait to see more from you!

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games