Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Dark Hedgehog's Sketchplace (Updated Dec 12 ) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadizilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:37 am
.Hay//Thar.

.Working//On.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

.First//Post.
(Oldest to Newest)
Critique Away.

.Recent//Doodles.
(Oldest to Newest)
Not looking for Critique,
but you may if you wish.
[x] [x] [x] [x] [x]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:38 am
.About//Me.

I'm Sixteen, artist for about five years.
I'm currently working on a few stories,
and experimenting with a few different styles and types of art at the moment.
I'm inspired by music, quotes, and colors;
The way people act, and how they move when they're talking.
I LOVE when people use hand gestures when they talk.
I'm disorganized and impatient.
I procrastinate and fail to finish things. I typically don't have a good enough drive to.
I'm lazy, too.
But I love art. I wouldn't give it up for the world.
I'm planning to head into the art world once I get out of highschool,
and I would love any advice on what I should do to try and get ahead.
And what collages that you would suggest.

I curse a lot, but I'm trying to avoid doing that now.

When I critique, I redline.
I'm not good enough at explaining, so I redline.
I personally thing that it helps a LOT better.
Sorry if you don't like it.

Shadizilla

Shadizilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:39 am
.Sites.
Devart
.Forever//End.

.Tools.
.Traditional.
Mech Pencil
Copic or Sakura Multiliners
Copic or Prismacolor Markers

.Digital.
Intuos Tablet
Photoshop CS2
PaintShopPro 7
Oekaki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:39 am
Post 4

Shadizilla

Shadizilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:40 am
Post 5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:10 pm
I can see you're working on real things, which is good. Understanding lighting will help all your art get a lot better. I think you're on the right track with yoru shading, but you could stand to have a stronger sense of form with your lighting. I think having a definite source/direction of light will help. Choose one and have all your shadows and light areas use it. You'll find that your forms will become more defined.

I'd like to see more of your life drawings though. I think they're much better than mine where a year ago when I started life drawing.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:57 am

I'm honestly having a hard time critiquing you because it's just so pretty and nice. I see a few things here and there, but I think it's because of your style and not because of ignorance. I really like the way you draw your males. I can't draw males like at all.

I find your first two overly dark, but that may have been done on purpose. If you didn't, perhaps use some lighter colors for backgrounds?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:40 pm
Errol - Mmm, yes. Thank you. Lighting I do need to use more often. I think I understand it more than I use it, though. I'll try and get a better example of some light sources.
Umm, Life drawing, thaankyou, hon. I don't do them that often, but I do need to. I'll try and find some things around school that I can get down.

Queen - The second one is suppose to be dark, but I don't really see the first one being so much?
It might be that my lighting on my laptop, the brightness is at 100%, so it might look a bit darker elsewhere? It wasn't meant to be as much, though.
Lets see.
Here's an older example, but light colors.

<3
Does that help?

Shadizilla

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:46 pm

Well the darkness isn't a problem if it was intended... and the first isn't dark like I can't see it, I find that the foreground doesn't pop as it would if the background was lighter.

That's just me though. And what do I know?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:42 am
They look pretty nice. Especially the first one with the helm! Other then what the others have mentioned about light source, contrasting the background to the foreground, etc. anatomy-wise I'll point some mistakes. It's a little tough since the first two are torso up, and cut off a lot of the body parts (ie. kitty boy's elbows, blonde man's arm and face), which I feel is a little weird, particularly in the 2nd one.

The second one appears like someone was taking a photo too closely. It feels incomplete since his extended arm is cut off and his eyes are hidden with that sneaky grin. Whether it was done to convey mystery of the character or not, it looks awkward.
What I'm trying to illustrate based on these observations is work on the layout of your art. It really helps to have a tidy composition, because that tells the viewer where to focus. Figure position, background or foreground focus (ie. how you light the or color them in comparison to each other to make the character pop...or something perhaps in the background to stand out), and just how things are organized throughout the image.

Another reason I pointed out the unfocused, cut off limbs led me to the third image, which overall has good anatomy, but has weakness in his limbs. It seems that may be a weak point in your art, because in the third image all is generally fine, other than his arms and how his face seems almost too large for his head. His arms seem skinny for even his lean build, and his forearm is too short (just picture him with no sleeves). Also, his hands are tiny.

Sorry, I'm very nit-picky, but I think you have some spiffy stuff here that can grow to greater heights. ^_^  

Irot

Shadizilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:44 am
Well, I sat down a few days ago and doodled out a bunch of things that I feel that I *can't* draw well. This will probably help everyone here a bit.
I've gotten my friend to help me a bit with the profile bit, but every bit of help....well, helps.

.Recent//stuff/

I've been working on a character for http://www.entervoid.com .

First up is the full ref. I didn't exactly want a lot of wrinkles and such, since other people will be using it as a reference -- I just wanted it simple enough.
However, I do know that the chest area looks...off. And he looks rather stiff. This one is a little bit older.

The lose image for Void.
There's something off about the head and the arm under it. I can't put my finger on it, though.

Finally, the win image. I don't know if there's much you can do about this one here.

And, something I doodled up yesterday morning, and slapped a craphappy background on it.

Thanks lovelies.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:52 pm
I like that you're going for dynamic shots with some of these. The one on the bar and in the hospital (I'm assuming) in particular.

I would try and use stronger one point perspective for both of those. You can choose a vanishing point that is lower so you are more on the table looking up a bit. That may be more dramatic and give a sense of his being low.

For the other, I would just make the vp past the ceiling. The door and wall should share the perspective as the rest of the scene. Do you need info on perspective, or are you already familiar with it?  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Shadizilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:23 pm
Errol McGillivray
I like that you're going for dynamic shots with some of these. The one on the bar and in the hospital (I'm assuming) in particular.

I would try and use stronger one point perspective for both of those. You can choose a vanishing point that is lower so you are more on the table looking up a bit. That may be more dramatic and give a sense of his being low.

For the other, I would just make the vp past the ceiling. The door and wall should share the perspective as the rest of the scene. Do you need info on perspective, or are you already familiar with it?

The last one is actually outside. The viewpoint would be from the person on the ground there, and then there's the redhead leaning over him a tad. To the left would be an ambulance, and the right is..a..building, I guess. XD;;

But I see what you're getting at with the bar. I'll try and figure a way to either re-do it, or fix how it is now~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Here, I was going more for features than anything else. I wanted to get slightly away from the Anime young'uns and try some older men.
(Wow, now if that doesn't sound awkward out of context...)
This is actually a character from a game, so he wasn't exactly overly wrinkly.

Shadizilla

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:22 pm
I can help you stage that bar one if you like. 3nodding  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items