Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
British Troops pulling out of Iraq

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dwavenhobble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:05 pm
well this topic needs to be made here.

If you supported the war or not do you think its a good move to pull troops out of Iraq now as the American's send more troops in, especially after the recent criticism of our troops by US generalsand the return of the criticism by UK generals about US troops, is this withdrawl just the next stage in this little argument about Army quality between nations ?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:01 am
I'm not entirely sure what to think on this matter. Though I must say I'm relieved that they're pulling out. But what effect it will have, I don't know. I guess I've always kinda' wondered why the Americans needed our help in the first place.  

Rikku de Lioncourt

[Finrod]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:17 pm
Although I am rather active in this sub-forum, and I'm interested in this subject, I am not allowed to reply.

Quite literally. Defence Instruction DIN2007DIN06-003 (Published a couple of weeks ago) specifically orders serving military personnel not to comment on stuff like this on "electronic bulletin boards, blogs, web-sites and similar" without specific authorisation for their comments.

Bloody annoying.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:16 pm
Very true Finrod, very true.

Anything that protects our troops from harm after years in what is quite literally 'bloody Iraq' is a good thing in my book.  

Mr. Bono Vox

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:10 am
Finrod, does it specify whose authorisation?

Is it a central MoD department, or the CO, or - for example - could 2ndLt Invi get a rubber stamp made to approve any reasonable comment-requests that cross his desk?

Not that subalterns usually get desks in Iraq, but you get the drift.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:10 am
Invictus_88
Finrod, does it specify whose authorisation?

Is it a central MoD department, or the CO, or - for example - could 2ndLt Invi get a rubber stamp made to approve any reasonable comment-requests that cross his desk?

Not that subalterns usually get desks in Iraq, but you get the drift.

It's a central thing. I'm not at work, so I can't get details at this moment, but it's not devolved to local commanders (I think it's possibly a reaction to the Iran sailors stories thing).

Otherwise Sqn Ldr Finrod would quite happily authorise any and all comments that would be OK with the Official Secrets Act.

Most servicemen and women would probably get away with flouting the rule on an anonymous system like Gaia. Unfortunately, I signed away a couple of human rights temporarily while I'm in my current role, so I may well have my access occasionally monitored (even from home). Best if I don't take a risk with it.  

[Finrod]

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:24 pm
Sounds like an interesting sort of thing.

Having spent my childhood and school years on a path to joining a Formation Recce regiment, I've started looking at Intelligence.

It looks impressively varied, albeit somewhat limiting so far as liberties are concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:33 pm
Oh, indeed.
smile  

[Finrod]

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:02 pm
Aye, it was in reaction to the Iran soldiers case. It's to prevent any selling of stories in the future. There was a review and that document (Defence Instruction DIN2007DIN06-003) was the result.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:58 pm
Yeah. They could simply have made a rule that you can't sell your stories without authorisation - but they ended up with one that forbids any commentary on defence-related issues without explicit authorisation from MoD.

If I were able to express an opinion on this regulation (I haven't sought authorisation on this post), it could be inferred from other posts and comments that I have made that I may well feel that this infringes freedom of speech way beyond that which is justifiable - bearing in mind that the Official Secrets Act is sufficient to prosecute anyone publishing sensitive information. It may even be compatible with my historical stance to contend that I may well believe that this is a particularly stupid and unnecessary regulation.

I, of course, could neither confirm or deny such hypothetical musings. I would be obliged to point out that, despite my historical stance on such matters, I may well believe precisely the opposite, but I would have to note that the chances of that being the case would probably be several standard deviations below unlikely.

Looking back on the above, it's got to be said - I have been infected with the spirit of Sir Humphrey Appleby!  

[Finrod]

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:26 am
[Finrod]
Looking back on the above, it's got to be said - I have been infected with the spirit of Sir Humphrey Appleby!

I was -just- thinking that. xd  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games