Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
"Blessed Be?" Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:33 pm
What's so wrong with the salutation "Blessed Be"? Is it supposed to be strictly a Wiccan phrase, and other religions within paganism can't use it? I've seen some people immediately rankle at it when it is used. What's so awful about it?

I myself find it no more offensive than "God Bless you." I don't get angry and think people are trying to push their religion on me when they say that. Generally, when someone blesses me, I either shrug it off or thank them.

Do people hate it because some fluffies use it to mean "end of discussion"?

What's the deal?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:14 pm
I think a lot of it has to do with the "fluffy" issue. Like you said, they sometimes use it as an 'end of discussion' phrase. I've seen it used pretty ironically at the end of posts after a fluffer finishes ranting against someone or some group of people. Example: "Like, omg! I jst h8 it how those nasty xtians keep pursecuting us!!1!!
-Blessed be!
[misspellings intentional]

Part of it may stem from the fact that some people use it as an "Oh, look! I'm different!" kind of thing, making what would normally be a nice religious sentiment appear rather tacky. This is what I've gathered, at least. I have no problem with the phrase, myself.  

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:38 am
Well, the first thing that comes to mind as Mute said (love the way that looks in print!) is the "I'm different" thing.

I'm pretty sure it's worth five points on the Fluffy Score chart.

The other more rational thing that goes through my mind is "Who is blessing me? Why are they blessing me? What does said blessing entail?"

This is important. I don't want "random" blessings.

The third thing that makes me cringe is what to bless actually means. I shower every day. I have no desire to be covered in blood.

On the by and by, I don't say "bless you" for that very reason. wink

In a scene that allows that words have power- tossing around something with a spiritual implication off the cuff makes me twitch.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:26 am
I dislike it cause of the Fluffy Factor.

Like in the above where it is used after a rant. On Gaia alone, I have been called so many things, just short of flaming, and the people always end with Blessed Be. My initial reaction is "******** You" but because I would get in trouble, I am sure, I can not say that, so I have to ignore it.

I want to tell these people that they dont have any idea of what it means to be nice and considerate. I hear spiritualists say something like that a lot. And these are the ones who say they never argue with anyone or treat anyone with disrespect, but that is exactly what they are doing.

I would rather someone just tell me to go ******** myself than to have them act like they are wishing me well.  

jaden kendam

Sinmodonly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:30 am
Blessed Be

Has become a phase used in wicca, but i seen other non fluffy pagans use it before at the end of a pray or spell.

Still, it was also a bit pushed due to Charmed a bit. They over used it in almost everything. So maybe a lot of new be wiccans thought it was thr right thing to say trying to break away from their original religions.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:45 pm
Mercyonthesoul
Blessed Be

Has become a phase used in wicca, but i seen other non fluffy pagans use it before at the end of a pray or spell.

Still, it was also a bit pushed due to Charmed a bit. They over used it in almost everything. So maybe a lot of new be wiccans thought it was thr right thing to say trying to break away from their original religions.

You mean people who think they are Wiccans, but really are not. I dont think any of the actual Wiccans I have met, have ever used it torwards me.  

jaden kendam

Starlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:37 am
Meh, I've seen it used in the broader Neopagan community; so I'm not sure one can say its an exlusive Wicca trademark. I've seen it used for ritual closings as a sort of farewell and blessing to the Gods; a paying of respect of sorts. I've only very rarely encountered any disdain for this prhse; I'm curious where you encountered this, JulieDoc.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:48 am
Starlock
Meh, I've seen it used in the broader Neopagan community; so I'm not sure one can say its an exlusive Wicca trademark. I've seen it used for ritual closings as a sort of farewell and blessing to the Gods; a paying of respect of sorts. I've only very rarely encountered any disdain for this prhse; I'm curious where you encountered this, JulieDoc.

I first encountered "Blessed Be" in a book written in the early Eighties that concerned the occult. It was a mishmash of a lot of different things, a chapter on witchcraft, a chapter on psychics, a chapter on LaVeyan satanism, a chapter on "modern vampires". It was 1989, maybe 1990, when I found this book, and I was about 13. The only thing it was described as in this book was "the witches' salutation".

Over the years, I heard it offered as a form of goodbye, generally. I even used it a few times myself, to people I knew also knew the phrase. It usually got me a hug and a "blessed be" in return, so my experiences with it were positive, by and large.

I first encountered negative treatment of that phrase here on Gaia. I also encountered it as the end of long, negataive rants, and a sort of "f*ck off" here on Gaia.  

Hybrid Jewel

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:59 am
JulieDoc

I first encountered negative treatment of that phrase here on Gaia. I also encountered it as the end of long, negataive rants, and a sort of "f*ck off" here on Gaia.
The ******** Off approch is mildly amusing to me.

It usually comes from folks who have been refuted and weren't able to support their position in M&R.

I always find it a bit silly myself.

It's a bit like wearing a pent the size of a hubcap. One more way to point out you aren't like everyone else.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:37 am
JulieDoc

Wow, that's just sad. The phrase shouldn't be used in that way, IMHO. It's hard to definitively infer motives from anyone's postings, though. I can't personally testify to what you've seen as I don't spend much time in the public forums anymore, but man. That's just sad.  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am
Starlock
I can't personally testify to what you've seen as I don't spend much time in the public forums anymore, but man. That's just sad.
I usually see it in M&R posted by IRAB "Wiccans" who argue with the regulars about their entitlement to the term Wiccan.

It's kind of a "Ha! Can't stop me from using the title Wicca or anything else!"  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:18 am
//Shrug.// I usually say "gesundheit" instead of "bless you" when people sneeze. I only use "em hotep" and "senebty" when speaking to Kemetic Orthodox people, since that's where I got it from and that's where it's relevant.

Casual blessings devalue the blessing. If everything is sacred, sacredness ceases to have meaning. If you're looking for a casual phrase to toss off at the end of conversations, "take care" works just fine.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:01 pm
TheDisreputableDog
//Shrug.// I usually say "gesundheit" instead of "bless you" when people sneeze.
I do this as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:50 pm
Gesundheit makes sense.
As it is basically a derivative from the Deutsch for health.

As far as blessings, I am worried about what someone's standing with their divinities might become if they ask for their blessings upon me. whee  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:21 pm
Fiddlers Green
Gesundheit makes sense.
As it is basically a derivative from the Deutsch for health.

As far as blessings, I am worried about what someone's standing with their divinities might become if they ask for their blessings upon me. whee
I keep thinking, I really don't feel like being Blessed by deities who have a strong interest in war.

I mean can you find a way to get out those blood stains?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff