Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Translations by Budge

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:48 pm
I want to ask any Kemetics (or anyone familiar with the Ancient Egyptian religion and history), how valuable is E.A. Wallace Budge's work? I've heard his translations are out dated. I've had his translations of the Book of the Dead and Tales of the Egyptian Gods for a good long while now, and I'm reading them currently. Other than the fact that his own language is somewhat outdated, that he seemed to look down his nose a bit at the very culture he was studying, and that he's a bit dull, his work seems informative.

Should I slog through it and see what I can make of it, or try to find a more modern translation?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:58 pm
I personally do not like his work. However- from a historical point of view, a lot of his work shaped the modern understanding of Egyptian mythos and culture.

My personal opinion (keeping in mind I am not a Kemetic Recon), is that I think his works are good to read in the same way I think Leland is good to read.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:32 am
I hear that his translations are crap. I, however, have yet to read them.

I would say get them from the library if possible if you want to read them, also pick up other translations of his source texts, and peruse them with a saltshaker to hand.

If nothing else, they're good research for historical Egyptology.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games