Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ty-sama's Art Folder/File ((LOOKING FOR PERSONAL MENTOR))

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I've improved right?
  Yes!
View Results

Tyl0r3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:01 am
_______________________________INTRO______________________

'Ello, I'm back, with more arts than ever!!!! I'm going to be posting arts from

this year, and arts from last year in my posts. And I guess you can see how

I've gotten better ^.^;;;

Serious Critiques and Comments about progress/skill improvements are
greatly needed.

_______________P.S_______________________

I'm looking for a FULL TIME, PERSONAL Art mentor. Someone who I can

show my works in progress to, and they can help me improve them. I

would like someone who's good with photoshop, coloring and drawing.

Someone who has a tablet. And someone who could teach me about shading and clothing folds and such.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:25 am

!!!!!2006!!!!

User Image

User Image

User Image

Heh, my first tablet drawings...

User Image

User Image

User Image

Tyl0r3

Tyl0r3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:30 am
2007! ((EARLY))

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:35 am
2007 ((Close Enough to Current ))

User Image

User Image
I love those boots *look up^^^*

User Image

User Image

User Image

Tyl0r3

TRP86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:37 am
My general comment for all these images you've posted are:

Do something other than a front shot.

I know front-shots (faces directly facing the viewer) are fun to draw (I do them a lot too), but if you seriously want to move on and improve with your art you'll have to step out of that comfort zone and move on to drawing other views/angles.

It's a bit hard to judge if you've improved or not from these images, mostly because they all look the same save for a few changes in outfits and whatnot. Normally studying from real life is recommended, but everyone hates that since it's boring so yeah, I'll give another (not-too-good) alternative.

Study pictures of anime/manga that you find inspiring. Not to copy them, but just to take note of how they're drawn and etc. For example, if you like Fullmetal, go find one of those calendar images they have and look at the picture. Note how the hair is drawn (how thick the "clumps" are, how they taper) note the poses (is the figure seated? standing? standing at ease with the weight on one foot? turned towards the side?) note the facial expressions and the hands. etc. etc. Most pictures don't show a character randomly smiling into space and floating in midair. Study images you like and learn from them.

...yeah. That's all I can say for now. I'd say that "Harry Potter" broomstick image of yours is something that would be a good start to, with posing and whatnot. Keep at things like that. You'll get better in time. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:48 pm
I agree with TRP86 that it can be fun (or maybe hard but keep on trying) to try some other view of your characters. You do your front shoot well for example you draw realy good the 2 eyes in the same horizon what is quite difficult for most of us. smile

So don't be scear to challenge a bit more. You got a good evolution in the movement, before your characters where a little bit to static (like puppets) but your new drawing are differents, they more alive. Also keep going with CG the colouring also became better only try to not use to mutch photoshop filters or tools (like photoshop stars, a neon effect...). Because I know from my photoshop teacher that that isn't professional at all, you can use it but be carefull not to mutch because it can destroy you beautifull artwork. Like the mistress Panic...you did a beautifull character with a realy nice colo but the falshy "mistress panic" will put the eyes of your viewers on the words "mistress panic" and only after to your character. So try to not put something who will put your main drawing in the shadow.

Sorry for my bad english, I hoped I could help you more so in 3 words:

-Try new views (^^don't be afraid to try that will help you if you want make a scene or a comic strip later)

-Good evolution in colouring and movement (keep on)

-Use more less photoshop effects (because that can help but also destroy you main picture)

Good work and have fun  

Sora Mayku

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:08 pm
Mentors do not come to you. Go to the mentor forum and find an available one. (That's active.) And please take the seeking mentor thing out of your thread title.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games