Welcome to Gaia! ::

Panic! At The Disco Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for Panic! At The Disco fans to gather and discuss. 

Tags: Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, Music 

Reply PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild
Build God, Then We'll Talk [song meaning]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

People counter:
  +1
View Results

x_puppeteer_x_doll_x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:30 pm
I know there is already a forum on this song, but I felt that one was more centered around the music video's opening date, nothing really deep into the song meaning or whatever. So I decided to go and make this forum so I could talk about what I think the song means and maybe others could as well. I surfed this website that had people randomly posting in the comment box what they thought they song is about. I scrolled through some pages and build up -what I believe- might be the meaning of the song's lyrics.

Lyrics

Let's start with the title, shall we? "Build God, Then We'll Talk" has to have something to do with the title, right? After reading an incredible long, boring story written by perhaps a broken hearted high schooler, I was rewarded with, "By saying 'Build God, Then We'll Talk' it's basically saying do something impossible to make it up to me, then I can finally talk to you". I thought this was a fairly stable conclusion. But, without scratching the surface, the song is about a lot of things, but it the "things" it revolves around are about people's worse qualities. That in mind, and the song's title in mind, I'm left with the question: what does that have to do with the song?

Moving on to the song itself: I'm a lazy person, so I'll be copying and pasting what I think are possibilities of the meaning. But let me say one thing in advance; I believe the song has a meaning, and a story. I'll cover both of these, mkay?

Meaning

"About all the arguments about what it is about I think you should pay most attention to 'caricature of intimacy' and 'just a dash of formaldehyde, and the habit of decomposing right before your very [(la, la, la)] eyes' the whole song is referring to society and how things aren't what you think (or want) them to be."

"This song is conveying the idea of fake love. ...I'll just say this since it applies to basically every song by theirs: it's probably also somehow connected to a book by Chuck Palahniuk. Also, the "there are no raindrops on roses..." part is obviously a play on "a few of my favorite things", and it's stating how life isn't full of sunshine and happiness, and that there are really, really tough people and times."

"I think they're using the song to mainly describe how low even respectable people can be and how filthy we all really are no matter what our jobs are or how we present ourselves to other people in public."

Story

"It's about a prostitute who is getting a new job as a lawyer, but to get extra money, she currently has this job as a hooker. Coincidentally, she ends up having her new boss as a client. After he leaves and after she's had a few more 'clients', she happens to get caught by the cops (at the line) 'There was a terrible crash (there was a terrible crash); Between her and the badge'. 'She spilled her purse and her bag, and held a purse of a different kind.' is referring to the fact that the cop found her little black book, which help her clients' appointments."

"Purse of a different kind = Black book. black book: a little note pad often used to write down names of clients, or important dates and times."

"I'm not sure if the girl is a hooker by profession because she's trying to get a job at the firm...she has sex with the lawyer for that position and a bit of cash. Then it focuses on that girl and after she sleeps with a few people she gets busted by the cops ('There was a terrible crash between her and the BADGE')."

"The girls in white dresses part mostly means girls who are virgins, and that is the opposite of the part with the roaches, the hooker part."

"I think that the description of the seedy motel in the beginning of the song really only sets up the story and gives a symbol of the people in it. It makes mention of 'the people inside'. I think that this not only makes apparent that there are actually people in the motel, but that those people are just like the motel itself.

"i would not say that this girl was a hooker,
she is only prostituting her self for a job, or the love of money.
a cop knows this is a skanky motel, and figures he will crash a hooker, but what he doesnt realize, is that this girl isnt a regular, but he sees the money (purse) and thats all the evidence he needs,

it is quite ironic, that the other hookers in this hotel are not caught, only her.

but the cop suggests that she sleep with him and be free of charge."

The 'rosary tucked inside her lingerie' refers back to the earlier sentiment that 'Any practiced Catholic would cross themselves upon entering'. She must have been a practicing catholic and before the attorney "entered" her she literally crossed herself with the rosary."

"Tonight tenants range from a lawyer and a virgin
Accessorating with a rosary tucked inside her lingerie
"

-Stating that the girl is a virgin and is a Catholic and it sorta ties in with the beginning ("Any practiced Catholic would cross themselves upon entering") She sorta is crossing herself by putting the rosary in her lingerie, and trying to still have protection over her because she knows she's doing a bad thing."

"There are no
Raindrops on roses and girls in white dresses
It's sleeping with roaches and taking bad chances
At the shade of the sheets before all the stains
And a few more of your least favorite things

-And I think this is obviously like the Sound of Music, and how the roses are a symbol of love and the rain is of sadness, like someone else said. And how 'there are no girls in white dresses' basically saying, the virgin lost her innocence, and how low and dirty she feels, and how maybe she is pregnant and now the lawyer wants nothing to do with her, and she doesn't have a job either and she looks back on it, and wishes she could go back and stuck closer to God maybe? Hence the, 'Build God, Then We'll Talk'."

"1.) "Virgin" is not a virgin, thats her role.(some guys think thats kinky) She is a HO. Which means she is already Decietful and thats why this is a caricature of intimacy. HO's are like the cheap pretend love.

2.)The Wife Realizes the Lawyer is cheating even though he says it was "Strictly Business" But she needs his Income as an Attorney.

3.) The Purse of a Different Crash has to be a Black Book.Containing names of Clients Because it couldn't be whore money. because her payment from the lawyer was the office Job. Now Shes Trying to live the role of the "Virgin". Denying Reality that she is a HO.

(The only other possibility is that she's a Crack Ho and that the constable black mailed her into sex because the purse was Coke or Something, But if you think that your kinda closed minded. it seems deeper than that, she wouldn't have it for no reason.)

4.) After My Version of Point #3, She is Doing her makeup. Runs into a Cop. Falls on her a**. Between her and the Badge Lays. All her things. and shes holding that black book. Enough information to send quite a few people to jail on medium sentences.

5.) theres only 2 possibilities left. The Cop Blackmails her for Sex, Against the Black Book as Evidence. Or He wants to Get the Attorney in trouble. Which would turn this into an elaborate Crime Story."

Music Video

[The music video has some of the same elements as the song does, but some things about it are slightly different. When I come to a conclusion on this one, I'll post it.]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:15 pm
Bravo. 4laugh -clapclap-

you put a lot of work into this, haven't you.
this makes the song a lot clearer now.

thank you for posting this. biggrin

upsidexdown

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:17 pm
The title "Build God, Then We'll Talk" is a quote from Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. 3nodding

[I'll post the lyrics here for easy access for this thread]

It's these substandard motels on the (lalalalala) corner of 4th and Fremont Street.
Appealing only because they are just that un-appealing
Any practiced catholic would cross themselves upon entering.
The rooms have a hint of asbestos and maybe just a dash of formaldehyde,
And the habit of decomposing right before your very (lalalala) eyes.
Along with the people inside
What a wonderful caricature of intimacy
Inside, what a wonderful caricature of intimacy
Tonight tenants range from: a lawyer and a virgin
Accessorizing with a rosary tucked inside her lingerie
She's getting a job at the firm come Monday.
The Mrs. will stay with the cheating attorney
moonlighting aside, she really needs his money.
Oh, wonderful caricature of intimacy.
Yeah (Yeah)
And not to mention, the constable, and his proposition, for that "virgin"
Yes, the one the lawyer met with on "strictly business"
as he said to the Mrs. Well, only hours before,
after he had left, she was fixing her face in a compact.
There was a terrible crash (There was a terrible crash)
Between her and the badge
She spilled her purse and her bag,
and held a "purse" of a different kind.
Along with the people inside
What a wonderful caricature of intimacy
(There are no) Raindrops on roses and girls in white dresses
And sleeping with roaches and taking best guesses
shade of the sheets and before all the stains
And a few more of your least favorite things.
Raindrops on roses and the girls in white dresses
And then sleeping with the roaches and then taking best guesses

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:23 pm
Ryan often says that some of the songs in A Fever You Can't Sweat Out are completely written around books, but some are just stories he made up. I think "Build God.." is one of the stories. I'm sure he might have gotten ideas from books and movies, but I think most of it is just a story he came up with using his imagination.

I also don't think the music video has much to do with the actual lyrics. You know? The band often talks about how they think it's boring when a music video follows the song perfectly.

PrimeRibby
Captain

tanyjames

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:08 am
I think it's amazingly clever for them to write songs about books. And it really makes sense now that u defined the meaning.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:11 pm
If you don't mind, I would like to say something.

The fact that the girl ended up having sex with the constable?

Made obvious by the lyrics that are not sung.

They ended up...well, making love isn't exactly what I'm looking for.
But.
You.
Get.
The.
Picture.

Leowna

Friendly Conversationalist

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200

xo__FRAGiLE OBSESSiON

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:42 pm
Thank you for the meaning! Now it actually makes sense to me! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:03 pm
upsidexdown
Bravo. 4laugh -clapclap-

bigsisate

miss-mechanical

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:28 am
now i get what the song means razz lol  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:36 pm
upsidexdown
Bravo. 4laugh -clapclap-

xBleedingVenom

PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas