Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:22 pm
ok, an intro to my custom chapter first:
Chapter Name- Storm Gryphons
Custom Chapter Weapon- Kinetica Pistol/Kinetica Rifle (a boltpistol that fires plasma infused bullets, if a shot hits and wounds, it cant be save under ANY circumstances) pistol fires 1 shot, army has 3, rifle fires 2, army has 1 in a devastator squad

so thats the army info, but instead of bikes, i used wolf riders, a full conversion:
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7917/img2434nv8.jpg
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2154/img2433jf1.jpg
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/2466/img2437sd3.jpg
they will become a pair of 5-man squads, all painted in the gold/black power armour of my army. i will add another kinetica pistol to one of them (i have 11 wolves, so in battles where the kinetica's arn't allowed, i would swop them over)

PS. sorry about the blurred photos, the camera isnt amazing without flash (and flash washed them out, so i couldnt use it)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:24 pm
also, sorry for the page streching, it is the 1st time i have uploaded a photo direct from the camera online  

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

King Phar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:32 pm
wait wait wait the pistol if you even want it fluff wis not even counting legal it would just be a past shot at the most a plasma shot that ignors armour not invulntible or i forget the rules for 'feal no pain'. and the wolf riders while a nice enough idea i think i like marines cold ones better just because the wolves are to small but i would love to see if you can pull it off -please post more *cough* and better *cough* pics i would be interested to see if you can find some way to but it in your army and name i don't like the name but it is all your chouce have fun though with the army.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:21 pm
Take a step back from the model, that should take care of the blur. It looks like a good idea, but I can't realy tell from the pic. Also to prevent the streaching, try posting a link insted.  

Ruric Torrune

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:56 pm
Mod edit, "links" posted. My PC monitor isn't 90 inches yet, so sorry for the inconvenience.

Yeah. That pistol is great if you don't plan to use it in real games, otherwise you're stuck. Good luck though...

Back up the camera a bit, then crop your images. Use a macro function if your camera has one. I'd prefer it if you used the pre-existing picture modelling thread thing for this, seeing as it's nothing special.

yeah cheers.

-Mykal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:26 am
You get points for trying to make an original army and converting models. Ill have to agree though with someone else that wolves (im assuming fenrisian wolf models) are too small. Cold Ones from fantasy are large neough to be a mount for a marine though.

Are you going to do anything with the black and gold? It gives them a regal look, but at the same time is pretty basic. Also the sort of regal look, and your fanfiction weapons seem very high end, but they use wolves. Perhaps do some converting to make cybernetic wolves, enhanced horses like the deathkorps or soemthing else that would fit the tech feel you seem to have going here.

King Kento

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:32 am
wolves are basically a replacement for bike in my army, also, to fit the name storm gryphons i am converting a brett pegasus with a dragon and some other stuffs to make a gryphons for an HQ choice to ride (will post photos when i can)

also, kinetica's work really well in games, i have finished a 5-man sqaud of wolves and the wolf armed with kinetica has good movement, and instant wound if i roll succesfully. i have been playing various games at a tournament today and the only loss i had was against a deamonhunter player who used exterminatus and blew up the planet because i swamped him with men and wolves

the wolves are from the goblin wolf riders (fantasy) and are large enough when you see the models properly, by not adding shoulderpads to the marines, they appear more likely to be able to ride them.

and finally, i am also thinking of making a scout squad on wolves or small gryphons (baby gryphons perhaps?)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:35 am
wait about the gryphons i would just by a gryphon model and then put the leader then if you realy want give it some cool bionics and say it is a landspeeder and just play a raven wing army.

and about the wolfs where is the thing known as twin linked storm bolter.  

King Phar

Dizy_lizy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:01 pm
I think this could be a really cool idea if you do a few things. Use the creature where appropriate, so in the case of organic mounts then bikes and land speeders are the way to go. If you make them bionic then you could go further and make some cool things like a Dreadnought counts as. Next thing is that if you want to do a Griffin mount for your commander then you should find a SM chapter that has something this could count for, like the Raven Wing (as Phar mentioned) or you could play am normal marine army and do some neet amour conversions, you know make wings on the shoulder pads, possibly switch his helmet with a griffin head and some other cool stuff like that. Anyway those are just some suggestions, this army is definitely a cool idea and if you do it right it will turn out to be one of those awesome armies everyone you play against thinks is super cool.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:47 pm
Sorry, but I personally don't like the idea.
They must be huge wolves, but I still struggle to see how one of them could hold a full armoured Marine.

It's just something that would, and does, nibble at me.  

Marcus McFlufferson

Dizy_lizy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:15 pm
Thus the idea that they are bionic. Maybe they are enhanced in the same way a marine is enhanced as an adaptation of the chapter planets myths and culture. They could believe that wolves hold some special powers and this has passed onto the chapter, so wolves are now biologically enhanced and used throughout the army. I think this is a cool idea because you could do so much fluff wise with the army, and with the new marines codex you can make it a highly deviant army and figure out a bunch of cool traits to match the fluff.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:17 pm
Dizy_lizy
Thus the idea that they are bionic. Maybe they are enhanced in the same way a marine is enhanced as an adaptation of the chapter planets myths and culture. They could believe that wolves hold some special powers and this has passed onto the chapter, so wolves are now biologically enhanced and used throughout the army. I think this is a cool idea because you could do so much fluff wise with the army, and with the new marines codex you can make it a highly deviant army and figure out a bunch of cool traits to match the fluff.

But with marines, the genetic enhancement causes quite the size increase. The wolves would probably have a similar one. So lets see some giant wolves.

In many ways this is similar to Death Masque's problems. The chapter is all over the place. If the name is storm gryphons, lets see some gryphons, not wolves. Lets see a chapter symbol, and more based around speed, and maybe less emphasis on these fanfic weapons. usually a chapter name emphasizes what the marines are like, gryphons dont shoot godmod lasers out of their eyes.

Im not even going to touch on the rules though of "kinetica" weapons, and some other player using an extirmanatus.

King Kento

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:11 am
ok, i wasnt clear before:

i wanted a custom gryphon, i wanted it to be completely unique. so i greenstuffed and used other gear to construct it. it failed, so im now building it almost purely from modelling clay kinda stuff (its not clay though, but it looks like it) around a really cool (almost skeletal looking) wire frame.

the kinetica's dont fire from the eyes, it is a gun (i thought a new chapter should have a cool new weapon)

the wolves arnt bikes, they are a replacement as my army doesnt use bikes, they are pretty much marines that can move 12" (hence that they dont have twinlinked bolters)

i have been working on both a webiste and badge for them, when i publish the site i will post a link so that you can all see it, the site team has been working on comic strips and conversion guides for the site.

i built the wolves without any custom stuff added (no pipes and stuff) to see what they would look like, i have, after reading your criticism, decided to green and glue some metal plates, etc to the wolves, i hav so far added metal to 1 wolf and a bionic eye to another.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:41 am
fire - link
ok, i wasnt clear before:

i wanted a custom gryphon, i wanted it to be completely unique. so i greenstuffed and used other gear to construct it. it failed, so im now building it almost purely from modelling clay kinda stuff (its not clay though, but it looks like it) around a really cool (almost skeletal looking) wire frame.

the kinetica's dont fire from the eyes, it is a gun (i thought a new chapter should have a cool new weapon)

the wolves arnt bikes, they are a replacement as my army doesnt use bikes, they are pretty much marines that can move 12" (hence that they dont have twinlinked bolters)

i have been working on both a webiste and badge for them, when i publish the site i will post a link so that you can all see it, the site team has been working on comic strips and conversion guides for the site.

i built the wolves without any custom stuff added (no pipes and stuff) to see what they would look like, i have, after reading your criticism, decided to green and glue some metal plates, etc to the wolves, i hav so far added metal to 1 wolf and a bionic eye to another.

I kind of agree with Kento here. Wolves and gryphons (Lion-eagle things) are rather different. Having wolves featured would require a change of name, and making that gryphon you're working on into some super wolf thing.

Blood Angels are all about the blood and, the rage, and their Primarch, with the angel wings.
Space Wolves come from a wolfy place and travel in the cosmos.
Ultramarines are Marines, they're ultra, and they're ultramarine in colour.
Storm Gryphons ride wolves, and are painted similarly to the primary legion of the enemy...

It's just not working for me. I don't really feel it. Also, having the wolves as Marines that move 12" without the bolters would be more of an assault Marine than a biker.

The kinetika is a bad idea. Who would really want to play against you?
"Yeah mate, if I hit, you die, no saves allowed, and I hit on a 3+."
"Sounds great! When can we start?"

Seeing as you've done the wolves already, it's probably be easier to just change the name and stop the gryphon, or keep the name and stop the wolves. It's all too muddled.

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Ruric Torrune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:22 am
Now that I think about it, isn't there already a Chapter called the Storm Gryphons? Don't they have a red and yellow checkered color scheme?  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff