surprising
  can be handled by the user themselves
  ummm errr GOLD
View Results

Bunai

Angelic Blob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:47 pm
what are your thoughts on it?

currently i am witnessing it happen in someones journal. and i am disgusted.

a Gaian is leaving because of what others have said about them. and of course to the bully's it looks like their comments should not cause such an action to take place.

people just dont get how much power their words can be for some, and to other it can be brushed off and laughable.

there is the "ignore" button. but if the bully is so persistent as to have mule after mule after the person. that could be enough to drive someone into depression.

it sucks when someone basically screws with your hobby to a point were you dont even want to do it anymore.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:08 am

net bullying sucks. things get confused online so if someone misunderstands your typing you can be digging your own grave. Bullying on gaia? thats bad. Ive heard of IM bullying and on myspace and stuff but here? come on gaians. We are a community!

Rob the Crowing

Profitable Sex Symbol

9,275 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200

Bunai

Angelic Blob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:06 pm
i knew people can be flamers. but not bullies. so i am surprised also.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:56 pm
Well, putting them on "ignore" is probably my first choice of how to deal with them. I never engage in a conversation with someone who is trying to test me. They love that attention. They want other people to see that. I just ignore it completely.

Now harassment, on the other hand, is going way too far just to make someone else feel uncomfortable. If someone is making mules just to bother you, I would probably tell a mod or admin. They could possibly have their IP banned or something. Chances are harassment is against their policy here.

Internet bullying? Retarded. Most of the time, the people who think they're too cool for school in the forums that put other people down wouldn't have half the sense to say any of that s**t to your face. They're probably just squirrely people at home so they think they can make up this big tough persona on the internet? Not worth my time.  

Oulixeus
Crew

Bunai

Angelic Blob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:39 am
Nice post Oulixeus

i dislike being an observer, because if you do try to help, you only have half the story. and the person being harassed tries to handle it themselves and doesnt want to type about it  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:19 am
I dont think it is serious  

LovexKaoruxHikaruxLove

Bunai

Angelic Blob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:30 am
maybe that is why people dont really look into it.

bullying pretty much evolved over the years.
it goes from school yard to computer.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:38 pm
I really wouldn't care that much because the person obviously has no life. If they are that lame to keep making mules then just ignore them they are doing it for the attention.  

Blacula

JeeszyCreezy
Captain

O.G. Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:41 pm
I can see it mattering since gaian's can be really mean and we can reject or make fun of someone for not having certain items. I have a feeling that a person leaving over bullying was probably also a personal problem with the other since there are acts you can take to stop it but...there are bullies on gaia yes.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:21 pm
^___^ Nice post Ouli.

I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while, but haven't found the time... so I'll make a quick choppy post.

Anyway... I've witnessed the bullying of someone who is pretty well known in one of the forums on Gaia. What is this person known for? ...For people hating them.

Annd~ it's all simple. The people are bothering her because s/he reacts to them. S/he overreacts and gets all angry and she's just fueling them. The bullies keep seeing how far they can push that person... so it has gotten to the point of harrassment. :/

But it's the simple playground rule... The bullies are picking on others to make themselves feel better. And where other than to do it on the internet where they can reap all the benefits without the reprocussions of actually having to get into a fight? You can attack them mentally. Especially if.. as Ouli said it nicely, they're just squirrely little kids.
Oh yeah, but back to the rule... If you just don't give the bullies the satisfaction of thinking that they've hurt you... they'll go away and pick on someone else. In most cases. ....Unless they've really got some personal vendetta against you. >< But I think that's moving out of the bully category.

Oh, but back to the example of that person... I think they secretly like the attention they get or else they'd do something more about it. This person loves starting up conflicts themself. And they always run off to complain about what the bullies have just done... Especially if they didn't win the argument that was just brought up in a thread, so they run off and make their own thread. "Come here! Look at what they did to me or said to me now! Come give me attention!" They even proclaim in their sig that they're one of the most hated people on Gaia. :/ So... I think that person is a nut case. xD;;
I've seen that person around the forum for at least a year... So... even though I'm not in it at all.. I think I have a pretty good grasp of that side of it at least. :B

Alright... I've found the time to ramble on anyway. Yes, I think net bullying exists and it can be a major issue. Some people can't handle it. They take what others say to heart, even if they've never met or seen them before.. ever.

Annnd~ I hear all the time about the cases where bullying at school turns into someone being followed and bullied on their myspace too...

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

bananarevo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:29 pm
To tell you the truth.....I could care less about what other people (bullies) think.
If they have to have a mule post insults then thats pathetic.Who ever would waste there time with that has no life. xp (yes bananas O.O)  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games