Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sweet's Bit o' Art

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So what do you think?
  Pretty good
  You're on the right track. Just keep practicing.
  ZOMG it secks
  *glomp*
View Results

swtlildee21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:21 am
Hello all! I've been drawing on and off for a quite a while but I haven't really been getting anywhere. My style has changed about 100x but nothing but the way I draw hair improves. Anyway, my sole purpose for posting is to get critique critique critique!!! Be harsh! It's ok! Because if you're not, I'm going to suck forever. : ) Thanks all!

>> Oh! And if you're wondering why it's all gray and dirty looking, it's because I took a pic of it because I don't have a scanner D: . ZOMG! I want a tablet sooo badly!! : D <<

>>> Ladada. Sorry, one last thing. These are a few months old so I might update new ones a little later because my style changes like crazy xD. <<<

Take a look xp :

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

blegh. 4laugh

zomg. This is like the absolute most weird thing I've ever drawn in my life : D . My mom has these really creepy doll faerie baby things (they scare me but she's so danged protective of them: "DON'T EAT THERE! YOU'LL GET MY DOLLS DIRTY!! *growl*" Lols. Anyway, they wear something like this and I was like: "I want to draw this outfit!" So...voila! I was messing around with body positions so this is what came up. And yes, I am aware that my body anatomy secks. But then again, that's what I'm here for!

>>>>EDIT<<<< Here are some more recent drawings. The 2nd one I drew 5 minutes ago o_0''

I was actually trying to draw my version of Chi from Chobits...I FAILED. Ah well.

HELP!!!!
And yes, this is supposed to be my avatar o__0 . Uhh...I'm actually happy with how the head and hair came out : D (though I still have more to work on) but the body is er...hideous. I know it looks bad, but I don't know how to fix my problems. Can anyone help? I need it badly. ~Thanks!!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:18 pm
The whole ideal with the portrait is that the neck is to thick, make it more slender. Oh and your kinda not giving her a forehead by having the eyes so big and the eyebrows going to far up. Thats all I have to say o-o  

Sriean

swtlildee21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:57 am
Sriean
The whole ideal with the portrait is that the neck is to thick, make it more slender. Oh and your kinda not giving her a forehead by having the eyes so big and the eyebrows going to far up. Thats all I have to say o-o

Thank you! That helps a lot : D.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:21 pm
I'm going to opt to give you advice on presentation. Never take a picture of your drawings unless they are mounted at eye level on the wall. I like to get a larger piece of paper and (I use rubber cement or just a bit of rolled tape) attach it to that. Then stick the big piece on the wall with masking tape across the ends diagonally and then one in the middle on the bottom to keep it from curling. You'll get a much better picture without the lean or the blur from leaning.

I'm assuming this is a digital camera because you'd have to scan an analog photo and that makes no sense to take a picture if you have a scanner.

Anyway, if you don't have an image editor, GIMP is free. It's like photoshop. You can adjust your image to take out the yellow light or darken your lines.

Oh and take the picture in good strong white light. Preferably take it outside on a sunny day.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

TRP86

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:24 pm
Agreed with Errol. x__x Took me a while to clean up your sketch for better viewing.

User Image

My comments are in the picture. Generally, take note of your body proportions, how many head lengths a torso equals to, etc etc. Personally I think all you need is a bit more practice (your anime faces are good, but do take a look at realistic faces too to better understand how a face is formed). ^_^ b  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:18 am
Errol McGillivray
I'm going to opt to give you advice on presentation. Never take a picture of your drawings unless they are mounted at eye level on the wall. I like to get a larger piece of paper and (I use rubber cement or just a bit of rolled tape) attach it to that. Then stick the big piece on the wall with masking tape across the ends diagonally and then one in the middle on the bottom to keep it from curling. You'll get a much better picture without the lean or the blur from leaning.

I'm assuming this is a digital camera because you'd have to scan an analog photo and that makes no sense to take a picture if you have a scanner.

Anyway, if you don't have an image editor, GIMP is free. It's like photoshop. You can adjust your image to take out the yellow light or darken your lines.

Oh and take the picture in good strong white light. Preferably take it outside on a sunny day.

Oh wow 0__0. Thank you! You've just solved one of my biggest problems. *bows* I'll try that on the next thing I draw.  

swtlildee21

swtlildee21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:08 am
TRP86
Agreed with Errol. x__x Took me a while to clean up your sketch for better viewing.

User Image

My comments are in the picture. Generally, take note of your body proportions, how many head lengths a torso equals to, etc etc. Personally I think all you need is a bit more practice (your anime faces are good, but do take a look at realistic faces too to better understand how a face is formed). ^_^ b

I see...Thanks : D I'll keep practicing and working on proportions like you said, especially on the boobies.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games