Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Reccommend me some books? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

patch99329

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:12 am
Hi ^_^

Recently I've been wanting to get my hands on some books to do with celtic mythology and norse mythology.
But I don't really know where to start when it comes to buying/getting such things from the library.
What books/authors would you reccommend I look into, and which should I avoid? (I aleready know to avoid dj conway)

Thankies, smile
Emma.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:18 am
If you want Norse Mythology, the first stop would be the Eddas. You can find both of them on Sacred Texts, but I'll link the both of them here.

Poetic Edda
Prose Edda

I'm not sure what other books would be good for Norse Mythology, but I would assume many if not all use the Eddas as a primary source.  

PhantomPhoenix0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:53 am
It appears the Norse mythos have been covered-

The question I would ask would be which Celts?

I mean, the Irish have some different collections from the Scots who have different collections than the Welsh who have different collections from the
French who have different collections from...

You get the idea.

Do you want P-Celt or Q-Celt based mythology?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:47 am
Tea>I'm looking at irish and welsh mythology if that helps ^_^

Thanks for the info phoenix!  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:54 am
patch99329
Tea>I'm looking at irish and welsh mythology if that helps ^_^

Thanks for the info phoenix!

In that case for the Welsh:
The Four Ancient Books of Wales
The Mabinogion

The Irish have many Cycles and Sagas. Beloved Wing gave me a lovely book. I will record the title when I get home and post it tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:50 pm
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/publishd.html  

ShadowSharrow

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:56 pm
ShadowSharrow
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/publishd.html
A wonderful resource.

Do keep in mind that the Irish texts suffered much the way the Eddas did in their translations. So read all with a salt lick. Christian Allegory was jammed into many translations by the monk scribes.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:41 pm
TeaDidikai
The Irish have many Cycles and Sagas. Beloved Wing gave me a lovely book. I will record the title when I get home and post it tomorrow.
ooh, i will wait with baited breath for that *licks lips*.

patch: try Peter Berresford Ellis. great scholarship with loads of Celtic material. also, try the Tain.

Norse; i agree the above suggestions, as well as H.R. Ellis-Davidson. from those i know who follow that tradition, she's been said to be fairly good, as well as easy to find.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:01 am
phoenix shadowwolf
TeaDidikai
Darnit. I forgot. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:25 pm
TeaDidikai
phoenix shadowwolf
TeaDidikai
Darnit. I forgot. crying
s'okay. you just get to make up for it other ways, twisted

heart heart heart  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

godhi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:55 am
PhantomPhoenix0
If you want Norse Mythology, the first stop would be the Eddas. You can find both of them on Sacred Texts, but I'll link the both of them here.

Poetic Edda
Prose Edda

I'm not sure what other books would be good for Norse Mythology, but I would assume many if not all use the Eddas as a primary source.

The Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland is an excellent book for beginning and intermediate students of Norse mythology; I also recommend the following web sites:

Wikipedia--Asatru
The Wikipedia entry on Asatru, with a number of useful links.

Wikipedia--the Poetic Edda
The Wikipedia entry on The Poetic Edda, with links to most of the poems.

Wikipedia--the Prose Edda
The Wikipedia entry on The Prose Edda of Snorri Sturluson.

About.com--Asatru/Odinism
This page includes a number of useful links on the subject of Odinism and Asatru.

Huginn and Muninn--the Asatru Search Engine
One of the best search engines for information on Asatru and all things Heathen.

The Viking Answer Lady
If she doesn't know it, no one does. The Viking Answer Lady is considered by many to be the best online scholar on the subject of Norse mythology, culture, and history.

The Encyclopedia Mythica--Norse Mythology
A good web site on Norse mythology.

Raven Online
A useful collection of links, articles, and information on Asatru.
Highly recommended.

Wicca and Asatru
An excellent article on the basic differences between Wicca and Asatru.
Required reading for beginners.

Good luck on your quest for knowledge!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:01 pm
all of the above suggestions are pretty much "must reads", i always look online for the topic i am interested in, not all books are worth your time, but i have a theory, if i pick out one good thing among 250 pages, i am not walking away empty handed...and i read a lot about a vast collection of mythologies and ideologies....perhaps i waste much time in doing so, but i believe knowledge is key, and books contain much knowledge so to me it is gratifying...pick up anything that interests you....(some things are crap, and there have been previous posts of what is bogus vs what is a good read...just read reviews and go on intuition...it may not always work, but not everything is fool proof)  

Shorti Rock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:57 pm
Shorti, how much of what you read are source texts?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:46 pm
i don't read a lot of source texts really, everything i know i have learned personally and not from a book... i pick topics that interest me and go for it, hoping that i can pull something out of it. i have read the eddas, various books on numbers and their influence (not just numerology), histories of mythologies... im not looking for the same thing that most others look for in books..(or any thing else i suppose)...im looking for knowledge, i dont read spell books because they are a waste of my time, (any book that has love next to the word spell is a bad book in my opinion.) I suppose i look at things on more of a sociological perspective...hence the theory that one should read anything that grabs their attention...perhaps that makes me wrong, but i believe every one has a right to their own way of doing things...  

Shorti Rock

Sivirs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:09 am
Shorti Rock
(any book that has love next to the word spell is a bad book in my opinion.)

Why?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces