Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Dead (not the band)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:57 am
How does your tradition view the dead?

Do they pass on in some sense, or just nothing? Is there any kind of afterlife? Is there reincarnation? Ghosts or other restless spirits?

More specifically your ancestors, I suppose. Everyone has them, but what is their place in your life?

Can a dead person have a change of heart? (If one of your ancestors was a nasty piece of work, can they be a nice person after death?)

Are your ancestors obligated to help their descendants? If not, are your ancestors likely to help you if you ask?

What kind of respect should your ancestors be accorded?

Anything else you'd like to add...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:34 am
Uhm..5th Generation Spiritualist.

And no, contrary to what some popular mediums might tell you, not every medium believes in reincarnation, angels, or God.  

jaden kendam

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:05 am
Well, spirits are an important part of my tradition. Because of the idea that everything has a spirit. The dead are people just like us but without bodies. Some can be helpful and friendly, others can be little buggers. xd

Do they pass on in some sense, or just nothing? Is there any kind of afterlife? Is there reincarnation? Ghosts or other restless spirits? Yar, they pass on to another place. A spirit realm if you like ^_^ Until they are re-incarnated smile

More specifically your ancestors, I suppose. Everyone has them, but what is their place in your life? They should be honoured.

Can a dead person have a change of heart? (If one of your ancestors was a nasty piece of work, can they be a nice person after death?) I have nooo idea. I assume they can, they can reflect on this life and go 'wow I was an a**, I want to be better'.

Are your ancestors obligated to help their descendants? If not, are your ancestors likely to help you if you ask? I've never tried to ask for their help. But I like to think they would.

What kind of respect should your ancestors be accorded? Blood ancestors and people who once walked this land should be treated with respect smile Then again, as should all beings.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:01 pm
Spirits, reincarnation.

Do they pass on in some sense, or just nothing? Is there any kind of afterlife? Is there reincarnation? Ghosts or other restless spirits?
Earthbound spirits(ghosts), and spirit-like realm as patch described.

More specifically your ancestors, I suppose. Everyone has them, but what is their place in your life?
I don't know exactly.. never really thought about it. But I do believe that spirits of the spirit realm have some sort of connection with our realm and do watch over us.

Can a dead person have a change of heart? (If one of your ancestors was a nasty piece of work, can they be a nice person after death?)
I have no experience of this.. but I suppose they could.

Are your ancestors obligated to help their descendants? If not, are your ancestors likely to help you if you ask?
I wouldn't say they are obligated. But I hope to think they watch over us until they find another vessel to reincarnate into.

I think any entity whether spirit, ghost, demon, or otherwise should be respected. Could be hazardous if you didn't O.o''  

Celtic of the Fae

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:18 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Usually through scrying. lol

Sorry- bad pun.

I view them as not corporeal.

Quote:
Yes.

They return to Puv or they don't. If they don't, they become a problem. If they do- then they can help, or not as they wish or are able.

Some traditions speak of reincarnation- but it is a long time between experiences.

Quote:
Yelling at me when I start to consider doing something I am not to do for the most part.

Quote:
I'll tell you after my mother dies.

Quote:
Not obligated. Mine usually say their peace- like it or not.

Quote:
The same any corporeal person can/will earn.

I'm lucky. My family kicks arse.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:36 pm
How does your tradition view the dead? I view the dead as something to be honoured.

I believe in gohsts. And yes, there is an afterlife. There they will be surrounded by their loved ones in a tomb of eternal bliss.

More specifically your ancestors, I suppose. Everyone has them, but what is their place in your life? I used to think I wanted to find them and honor them, but now I really don't care about them. It's just my bloodline, not where my soul/spirit is from.

Can a dead person have a change of heart? (If one of your ancestors was a nasty piece of work, can they be a nice person after death?)Of course. Everyone can change, living or dead.

Are your ancestors obligated to help their descendants? If not, are your ancestors likely to help you if you ask? They are not obligated to help, but I would assume they would be encouraged, if their descendant decides to honour them.

What kind of respect should your ancestors be accorded? For mine, none. I don't associate myself with them.  

Milendil

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:51 am
TheDisreputableDog

Religious: We don't, they are beyound the realm of the living... usually.
Academic: Entities no longer possessed of a conjoined Soul and Body.

Quote:

Religious: the soul lingers about the body for 4 days after death, and then returns to the soup from which souls arise/are formed. Barring anything tying them down. Ghosts are souls which cannot/have not moved on, they are pittied and assisted when possible, to allow them to finish the journey. There is recycling of souls, but not in a pure form, all the souls melt down into the material from which new souls form, sometimes large chunks stick together, but that is rare.
Academic: As for ghosts, those are the dead who still have business here, for whatever reason, or have somehow been hedged out from the recycling process.

Quote:

Religious: Those poor, tormented beings.
Personal: Why am I the only member of my family in the current generation who cares about the family name... if I didn't care, it would be easy to ignore them, but as is, they are pushy, needy gits who rarely let me forget how much they expect out of me, and their disgust with the current state of affairs. At least there aren't many of them who speak English. But then again, I speak enough Deutsch to understand several of the others... They drink my wine, but mostly because I offer it. 'Twere I dead and stuck here until my descendant accomplished some task I couldn't articulate, I would like wine, and I try to be kind. that, and they bother me less when I placate them.

Quote:

A good question, I've not studied it sufficiently to make a call.

Quote:

Personal: My ancestors will help when I am keeping them happy. They don't seem obligated to... they are just as fickle as the living.

Quote:

Depends on the individual ancestor. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:51 pm

-ADF views the dead as one of the three Kindreds (the Ancestors, the Nature Spirits, and the Deities) we worship and remember. they are considered a source of wisdom and potential help.

there are two different forms of Ancestors. the Mighty Dead (those who have attained Hero status, and may have some divine blood) and the Dead (the others, including the nameless). any who are kin by blood, heart or soul may be honored.

-some are in the Underworld still, watching over the land of the living, or just fiddling about, with a potential for afterlifes. some have reincarnated and still are capable of sharing their knowledge.

while there is no doctrine for it, i personally do believe in ghosts, and the tradition itself does allow for them.

-some Ancestors do take an active role in their descendants life. depending on who you talk to, the descendant might even be one of their own Ancestors.

some Ancestors don't really tend to play a role, which is okay. i am still willing to remember them in my practice.

-i don't really know...i think, like most people, personalities stay the same after death, although there might be a conflict between different life personalities, should they differ. brings to mind the question if one's personality is innate to the soul and remains constant between one lifetime and the next...

-they are not obligated. really, i don't ask an Ancestor for help if i don't think they won't help.

-i agree with Fiddler. depends on the Ancestor. the Mighty Dead, most definitely. the Dead might have a few off beat characters however.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items