Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Pokemon Unleashed
Wi-Fi; What is it and how do I use it? (Guide to Wi-Fi)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IAMAPENIS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:33 pm
Wi-Fi; What is it?

Wikipedia.org
Wi-Fi is a wireless technology brand owned by the Wi-Fi Alliance intended to improve the interoperability of wireless local area network products based on the IEEE 802.11 standards.

Common applications for Wi-Fi include Internet and VoIP phone access, gaming, and network connectivity for consumer electronics such as televisions, DVD players, and digital cameras.

(Basically, Wi-Fi lets you access the internet wirelessly)

Wi-Fi information.

To use Wi-Fi, you have to be within range of a Wireless Network Router.
Many schools use corded routers to connect all their computers to their LAN (Local Area Network). A wireless router is more or less the same, excluding the inclusion an antenna. (Unless we're talking about the Apple Airport.)

Wi-Fi does NOT work with Dial-up. Dial-up is made of Slow and Fail. I know T1 - T3 connections will work (I dunno what they mean/are, but I know they work.). DSL/Cable might work. Contact your internet service provider and ask if your connection is compatible with Wi-Fi. You may need to buy a router direct from your ISP.

Don't have Wi-Fi?

If you don't have a Wireless Router, run around your neighborhood searching for signal. If you're lucky, like me, your neighbor will have an unpassworded network. If you're not as lucky, McDonalds provides Wi-Fi service (you have to purchase it to use it on a laptop, but that limitation doesn't apply to the DS.) Other stores/restaurants may have Wi-Fi as well. Many Starbucks do. Not sure about other places. You could also hang out at a Cyber Cafe. Many provide Wi-Fi for those who want to bring in their laptop instead of using some Keylogger Infested Public Computer.

If you want to purchase your own Wireless Router, go down to your local Best Buy or Best Buy analog and ask the tech guy. He'll show you his wares. wink

I suggest a Linksys Wireless Router for you PC users or an Apple Airport for you Mac users. (I have a Mac laptop and connect to my neighbor's Linksys network. My friend's Airport also works. Not so sure about PCs if you're looking to replace your current mode of internet connection.)

Conclusion.

So, to sum it all up (for all of you who said "tl;dr") Wi-Fi is basically wireless internet.

I'm not sure, but I think you can connect to your wired internet with the cord you buy for your DS. The cord connects via USB port, so be sure to have an open one. (Someone PM me telling me if there is such a cord in existence..)

[This thread is locked. If you need to add your two cents, send me a PM and I'll deem it garbage or gold (disregard it or add it in. Don't worry, I'll give you credit.). For those of you already with Wi-Fi, go post your Friend Code in the proper thread.]

Note to Other Mods:
GTFO, THIS IS LOCKED.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:41 pm
I don't know how to set up the routers.
I don't actually own my own.
Ask where you bought it / read any papers that came with it.  

IAMAPENIS

rose_angel46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:01 pm
I have a linksys wireless internet at home, and my internet works fine on the computers, but when I try to connect it to my d.s, it fails. sad DO you have any idea how to make it work?  
Pokemon Unleashed

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games