Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Justastaringproblem

3,950 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:02 pm
My friend keeps telling me the "skanking it up" as she put it is a punk thing. I see it alot with ska. Is it just a third wave ska-punk thing or did ruddies skank it up before the punks? Or is it a mutual shared thing?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:38 pm
youre friend doesnt know what the hell she's talking about. The ska(known in the US as skanking) originated in the late 50's in jamaican dance halls and sound systems. there were some variations of it like the ska jerk, and slow skank. I dont know when if ever it became a punk thing. ive seen it confused with two steping at hardcore shows though.. but yeah, Skanking predates punk by a solid 20 years  

Slag10

American Skinhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:06 am
It wasn't called skanking until it hit the ska revival of 82. Before then it was simply called the Ska or in some circles known as the Jamaica Ska or Jamaica Jerk or Ska Jerk like Slag said. If you want to know how to dance to ska go here

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:46 pm
dont forget the less popular english variation pioneered by judge dread- the jamaican jerk off...

also your link to Dancing Mood looks to be broken sad  

Slag10

American Skinhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:16 am
Slag10
dont forget the less popular english variation pioneered by judge dread- the jamaican jerk off...

also your link to Dancing Mood looks to be broken sad
I just copied the url off of their main image which is on my myspace, I don't even know if it's still up anymore. That page has dance steps on how to do the ska.

Man, Big 6 kicks so much ******** a**. Judge Dread kicked so much a**. It sad that he had to die.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:36 am
we all have to eventually. im gonna be seeing Symarip do a gig saturday. i really hate that so many of the legends are dying, but i guess that's part of being legendary. ._.  

Slag10

American Skinhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 am
Desmond Dekker too, I was so sad when he died last year. Where you seeing Symarip at? I'd kill to see them.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am
Punks got skanking from ska, 2-tone was a fusion of ska and punk in england, so its not hard to see how punk could have adapted a ska dance.

Dance

Guns of Navarone

Slag10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:16 pm
American Skinhead
Desmond Dekker too, I was so sad when he died last year. Where you seeing Symarip at? I'd kill to see them.
Ska weekend in TN. its not the old band, but the singer, Roy Ellis, who is backed by what ever band is touring with him. he's got a website even if its not up to date. google him.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:43 pm
one of the damned
My friend keeps telling me the "skanking it up" as she put it is a punk thing. I see it alot with ska. Is it just a third wave ska-punk thing or did ruddies skank it up before the punks? Or is it a mutual shared thing?

may be your friend was talking about the slam! (thats the way we (mexican people) call that punk dance, I guess it is the same way in the US too... anyway) the real (original) skank, the skank of the ruddies is not about hit people or about hurt themselves on the other hand the slam do make that. So the real skank is COMPLETLY made of SKA!  

Ub Omaet

6,550 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Don Caballero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:41 pm
Guns of Navarone
Punks got skanking from ska, 2-tone was a fusion of ska and punk in england, so its not hard to see how punk could have adapted a ska dance.

Dance

yeah... and also a lot of the people who started/innovated punk, like the sex pistols and their fans grew up around ska... so pretty much thats how it started in the punk thing... Id say its mutually shared, but the rudies had it first...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:33 pm
dude...skanking's totally a ska thing...  

tedheadrocker

The Leninator!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:28 pm
...I've never, ever seen anyone skanking at a punk show. Actually I think I did once, I was at a show of some band or another and someone started skanking and a bunch of people beat him down. That's pretty much the extent of punk dancing- run into people and hurt them. I always come home from Lower Class Brats shows with bruises. Same with most punk shows.

Punks don't dance, unless they're pop punks, who I don't dignify (or would it be insult? Most punks dig being filthy pigs) with the title of punk, because real punks are cool sometimes.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:32 pm
bands like the queers are truer to punk rock ethics than most other so called "REAL PUNK BANDS"  

Slag10

Kingshortpants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:41 pm
Skanking was a ska thing and always will be but I gotta say I always skank at punk shows I mean its more of a "skin head stomp" but its a great way to get around a pit its not the dance of unity im lookin for at a ska show.  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff