Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Being pushed from your beliefs so you can do what you love? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pandemasu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:33 pm
I'm pesco-ovo-lacto vegetarian. I eat fish, drink milk, and eat egg.
But recently I've been doing deeper research about things. For a while I've had guilt from eating fish, my parents wont allow me to give up fish. Recently I've researched on conditions of hens and cows. Before researching further, I was already aware that hens and dairy cows were living badly and figured that I'd become vegan in afew years. But after doing the REAL research, I was disgusted. Seeing videos of hens and dairy cows and they way they were treated.
Now if I ran my own farm, I'd have no problem with drinking milk from my own cows and eating egg from my own hens. But this isn't the case.

So now I'm thinking of becoming vegan, or maybe just a vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy or egg.

Anyway. Back to the main topic.

I'm in the marching band, so there aren't many options for me. We have strict marching shoes of a certain style. They are made of leather, I cannot wear shoes that are different in style from marching shoes and they do not sell cruelty free- marching shoes from what I know of.
I really hate it, and we only wear these shoes for performances, so its on occasion.
Also. My clarinet isn't 100% cruelty free. The pads on my clarinet are supported by fish skin or something so I hear from the people who repair my instrument.
I've played the clarinet long before I became vegetarian.

I'm thinking if I ever decide to join marching band in college, or if I ever make it to the DCI type teams, just maybe I can get custom made shoes to fit my beliefs.

So, my question:
Have you ever had a love or passion that pushes you away from your beliefs?
Like maybe you play softball and have that leather glove. Or maybe the love of soccer but cannot find non-leather cleats?
Anything like this?
I dont believe its okay to break one's beliefs, but sometimes you're forced to in ways. So I know its totally wrong as a vegetarian to wear leather shoes.
Marching band is my love and life!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:35 am
I take it that it'#s a very specific style of shoe you have to wear? If not there are plenty of mail order sites with a huge variety of non leather foot wear and accesories

Alternative Soles

Vegetarian Shoes  

TheOriginalNonEmo

6,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Pandemasu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:05 pm
TheOriginalNonEmo
I take it that it'#s a very specific style of shoe you have to wear? If not there are plenty of mail order sites with a huge variety of non leather foot wear and accesories

Alternative Soles

Vegetarian Shoes

Now to figure how to rid myself of the leather strip in my shako...
Not much I can do with that because its school property.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:33 pm
I've had to give up some things in my life so that I could feel that I was being completely honest with myself but that had to do with a difference of a religion from my lifestyle.

Don't feel terribly guilty. You're required to wear them and I know that this sounds very anti-veg, but the shoes are already bought and in your size. When it comes to things like this, there's really not much that can be said or done. Maybe you can talk to your director about your concerns and see what comes of it.
*shrug*  

Bat-Krn

SpazistIdealist

600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:16 pm
Pandemonium Panda
But recently I've been doing deeper research about things. For a while I've had guilt from eating fish, my parents wont allow me to give up fish. Recently I've researched on conditions of hens and cows. Before researching further, I was already aware that hens and dairy cows were living badly and figured that I'd become vegan in afew years. But after doing the REAL research, I was disgusted. Seeing videos of hens and dairy cows and they way they were treated.
Now if I ran my own farm, I'd have no problem with drinking milk from my own cows and eating egg from my own hens. But this isn't the case.

So now I'm thinking of becoming vegan, or maybe just a vegetarian who doesn't eat dairy or egg.

I'm in the marching band, so there aren't many options for me. We have strict marching shoes of a certain style. They are made of leather, I cannot wear shoes that are different in style from marching shoes and they do not sell cruelty free- marching shoes from what I know of.
I really hate it, and we only wear these shoes for performances, so its on occasion.
Also. My clarinet isn't 100% cruelty free. The pads on my clarinet are supported by fish skin or something so I hear from the people who repair my instrument.

I'm thinking if I ever decide to join marching band in college, or if I ever make it to the DCI type teams, just maybe I can get custom made shoes to fit my beliefs.

So, my question:
Like maybe you play softball and have that leather glove. Or maybe the love of soccer but cannot find non-leather cleats?
Anything like this?
I dont believe its okay to break one's beliefs, but sometimes you're forced to in ways. So I know its totally wrong as a vegetarian to wear leather shoes.
You could still eat dairy and eggs... I've watched the peta video too, and who knows, it may not even be completely true. Even if it is, you could always buy organic eggs, or organic milk. Chances are, the animals on the farm that the milk and eggs came from were actually treated well. Try promised land, they have the most amazing tasting organic milk, and their chocolate milk is even better. It's honestly the best chocolate milk I have EVER tasted, by far, I can't even truly emphasize exactly how good it is. The thing is, promised land is really expensive, but there is cheaper organic milk that you can buy.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:21 pm
Pandemonium Panda

So, my question:
Anything like this?
Not as of now, unless my guitar, my computer, or my PS3 has some kind of animal bi product. I was a sprinter in track for about 3 years and im sure the spiky shoe thingies that aren't exactly cleats but are kind of similar that help you run faster... lol, it's been 2 years, I forgot what they were called, but anyway, I'm sure they had some kind of leather on them, but that's about all I can think of, and that was before I was even a vegetarian. Anyway, you know what I would do if I were you? Do you have a job? Start saving your money so you'll have enough to buy that custom clarinet and boots when you need them. I wouldn't buy them now, no need to be in a hurry. You already have the boots, and you already have the clarinet. It would be no help whatsoever to have your new gear before you are in need of getting them replaced. Just save up your money so you have enough by then. That's all you can do.  

SpazistIdealist

600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

TheOriginalNonEmo

6,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:52 am
Pandemonium Panda
TheOriginalNonEmo

Alternative Soles

Vegetarian Shoes

Now to figure how to rid myself of the leather strip in my shako...
Not much I can do with that because its school property.

It's ok smile I've never bought anythign form them but i have soem friends that have smile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:57 pm
I still feel guilty, but to make my life easier as a teenager i've decided that I'm okay with wearing leather or animal products if i bought it before i became vegetarian or if its second-hand. As long as I'm not directly giving money to or supporting the manufactureres, i feel a little bit better. Hopefully in the future i can eliminate EVERYTHING though  

[[blunt.object]]

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:35 am
My main issue in that area is somthing which I have mo clue how to get around.

I love making jewelery and small metal sculptures. Hell, I'm thinking of going into jewelery arts in college! It's one of my passions.

Most of the things I work with in the metals studio I use are vegan. (the studio isn't mine, it's at a local arts center, but through connections I have access to it). However, there is one nesecarry tool which isn't vegan, and another which may not be vegan, but both are required for metal working. The non-vegan item is a rawhide mallet, and it's used for shaping ring bands and whatnot without denting the metal. The other item is flux, a type of glue which is needed during sodering. I love metals, and will probably pursue jewelery arts despite such dillemas...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:31 pm
Yeah, I'm a dancer, and I need pairs of leather shoes specially made for my dancing.
Also, I'm a musician, a percussionist, and all the best performers out there say that the best drums are made with animal skins. I feel really guilty especially when I play my bodhran, which is made of goatskin. Hopefully when I go pro and have to buy my own tympani, they won't be calfskin heads.
We shouldn't guilt trip ourselves too much, though. As it is, it is pretty impossible to live completely guilt-free; we just have to do the best we can until things get better.  

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:02 am
Pandemonium Panda

So, my question:
Anything like this?

Honestly, I don't even think you should be calling yourself a vegetarian at all if you're still eating fish. There's no such thing as a pesco-vegetarin. Fish are not vegetables.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:35 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
Pandemonium Panda

So, my question:
Anything like this?

Honestly, I don't even think you should be calling yourself a vegetarian at all if you're still eating fish. There's no such thing as a pesco-vegetarin. Fish are not vegetables.

Excuse me, but if I am not mistaken, she is a Pescetarian.

She eats fish, eggs, and dairy.  

Heart Overload

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:20 am
Heart Overload
Sinister Kung Fu
Pandemonium Panda

So, my question:
Anything like this?

Excuse me, but if I am not mistaken, she is a Pescetarian.

She eats fish, eggs, and dairy.

Yes, but that's different.
She said pesco-ovo-lacto vegetarian, which is pretty much an omnivore.
That's like saying you're a pollo-vegetarian because you eat chicken. It doesn't make any sense. If you eat meat, whether it be fish, or chicken or whatever, you are not a vegetarian. period.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:11 pm
I know how you feel.
Ever since I was born I was in love with photography.
Later in my life I got in to film photography.
Then I be came Vegan, and discovered that film and film prints contain gelatin. I was horrified.
So now I try and use a digital camera.
But in grade 11 at my school you can take a film photography class.
I feel horrible, but I love photography so much.
I talked to a few veg*n friends about it and they said I should just take the class.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the class, but I will still feel like a hypocrite. emo  

Vegan-Sex

SpazistIdealist

600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:37 pm
i dont know, i'm considering a few career options that may not be vegetarian friendly. I'm a sword collector, and blacksmithing really interests me, but I it also involves flux, but i dont think you really use a leather mallet in it though, if you did you wouldnt be able to shape the metal. what animal products are in flux?  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff