Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
b y a k k o y a [ [ updated w/ pics] ]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

byakkoya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:28 pm
Hello. I'm Byakkoya (but I also go by Reiko or hoshi-chan). I'm 20 and I live in Georgia. I'm new here to Gaia, but I've been exploring and I found this place. I've been self-taught for most of my life, but I am currently taking online classes at Art Institute Online and pursuing an AS in Graphic Design (though I'd like to do something where I actually draw, because it's what I love most.)

Things I'd like help with

1.Anatomy in general
2.Head
3.Hands
4.Hair
5.Feet (bare)
6.CG Inking/Lineart

Although my style of drawing people is rooted in anime, I'd like to get away from that and do like a quasi-anime style, where it's mostly realistic and not so much anime. Painting and coloring in general via computer isn't too hard, but I still need practice. My main concern is inking. I'm in love with the watercolor/oil paint style of coloring, so unless I do something cartoony, I'd like to stay away from lines that are too solid and dark. I mainly use Photoshop, but I'm trying to get the hang of Open Canvas.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is nice enough to give me some pointers.

DA: http://byakkoya.deviantart.com/

Here are several of my very best drawings, from oldest to latest.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:17 pm
It would help if you posted an image in the thread. Like any sketchbook, put sketches in it. (Also, mentors don't come to you. You go to them.)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

byakkoya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:08 pm
I went to one and even noted them on DA, but I haven't heard back in over a month.

However, I'm new to online sketchbooks and didn't know I was supposed to post before I got a mentor. Thanks for the tip. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:43 pm
Yeah, sorry about that. We've been locking old threads to help keep that from happening. Just check the date on the last time the person posted. I'll try and come through the forum as much as I can while we look for more people to take mentoring roles.

I won't be much help with anime or fanart though. I can tell you to watch your hands. The palm doesn't taper that much after the wrist. It's got thickness to it. Also, the fingers are small and short. If you spread out your hand and put it on your face, you'll notice that hands are bigger than we think. They cover your whole face.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Here you go. That should help you keep the proportion as you flex the hand and fingers.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Shadizilla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:17 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I figure it would be best to do your most recent one..~

The main thing is your anatomy. I understand if it's stylized a bit, but it's really awkward from real-anatomy. I tried to keep to your image the best I could.

Lets start top down
First the head. The eyes seem oddly placed for the rest of it, moving them to the left a bit would help, since it seems he's looking 3/4ths. As well, you would not be able to see the left ear from that angle.
The hair overall just seems too large.
Next, the neck is a bit long, and it looks too much on the right for the body.

The shoulders seem a bit too rounded, and they seem to slope down too much.
And then, the next major thing is the torso.

The ribcage seems to start, but then it slims down way too much around the stomach. It makes him look very feminine. Males are typically more 'straight' when it comes to the torso area.

http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/
There's a great site to study some anatomy in different poses. It gives you the muscles and everything, too.

GOSH.
I love your style, though. It's very unique. And the colors are nice and soft. It's mostly the anatomy that's throwing you off, though.

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games