Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
You got yaoi in my comic! You got comic in my yaoi! *Phail* Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Riosin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 pm
User Image

.// I'm suprised I didn't see such a discussion topic in here. That, or I missed it somewhere. But hell, nothing ventured then nothing gained.

.// This afforementioned topic is homosexuallity and even slash/yaoi in American main-stream comic books. While the art may not be the best sometimes I think it's a great medium and can be quite hawt when it wants to be.

.// Anyone familar with X-Men's Northstar? How about the Justice League's Obsidian? Apollo and Midnighter from WildStorm's The Authority? Well, the two things they have in commom are-

○They're superheros in mainstream comics.
    ○They're gay and say it loud and proud.

Now how hot is that?

Discuss.

User Image
' B r e a k d o w n ' P u n c h

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:20 pm
That is fairly awesome. I wonder how they get away with it?

(Sorry, but whenever anyone says "Discuss" I start to feel as if I should say something intelligent and my brain short-circuits. X.X )  

Lady Gyrfalcon
Crew

Dapper Ghost

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:08 pm
Gay League -- A list of a bunch of gay/bisexual comic book characters.

I've been skimming through it and I'm interested in a few, but many of the characters are from long series that I have no real interest in past the very small gay dynamic.

I really want to read Midnighter (I think he has a spinoff series focused on him? if not, uh.. nvm) though. It looks hardcore. :B  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Skizzors
Gay League -- A list of a bunch of gay/bisexual comic book characters.

I've been skimming through it and I'm interested in a few, but many of the characters are from long series that I have no real interest in past the very small gay dynamic.

I really want to read Midnighter (I think he has a spinoff series focused on him? if not, uh.. nvm) though. It looks hardcore. :B

User Image

.// Midnighter is VERY hardcore in the Midnighter Series, it's a currently 10-issue series revolving around him, Issue 11 comes out next month.

.// I don't mean to spoil things but in one volume he kicks a guys head off. God's honest truth, he kicks a guy's head off with just his boots and majorly muscular ways. And he's hot under the mask FYI. XD

User Image

Riosin

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:50 pm
I KNOOOOOOW. @w@ Someone scanned it. That and the gay have made this, like, required reading for me. Are there any trades available yet? I try to stick to those instead of buying all the pamphlets.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:12 pm
I made a thread in the Pocky Shop on Marvel Comics slash. It didn't go anywhere. I gave up, thinking no one in this guild cared about comics. It's good to see people actually care! :3

Anyway, about Midnighter. I have a few issues with the series. It always feels like to me, they're trying to ignore his homosexuality except when bad guys make fun of him and he kicks their heads off. Like when kid's shows give those PC episodes about girl power. Not that I'm expecting very issue to have an obligatory splash page of him and Apollo making out (thank you BKV et al for giving it to us, though heart ) but Midnighter did marry Apollo, guys. We saw the wedding, you can't hide it, so stop making Middy run from his lover all the time.

I donno. Maybe I'm making too much out of it but the way Ellis wrote Middy and Apollo gave me the impression that they always deferred to each other, that Middy went to Apollo with his problems and vice versa. But every writer who's tackled Middy ever since (except for BKV and Palmiotti and Gray) seems to be pulling them apart, trying to make Middy Batmanesque. I guess.

@Skizzors I'm assuming that Wildstorm's going to release a trade soon. The series is almost on 11 issue. But Wildstorm's also notoriously bad at releasing stuff in trade so I say that if you can find it online, get it.

@Lady Gyrfalcon There have been gay characters in comics for years. At this point, it's not about getting away with it but more about why there aren't more gay characters with better exposer.

Northstar <3 I want Ult. Northstar and Ult. Colossus to do naughty things to each other.  

LadyNox
Vice Captain

User_2629207

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:53 pm
Miss Sushii kinda likes this one.
biggrin Gay superheroes=Ultimate role models.
HA. Now those dorky "Become-a-"real"-man-fathers-who-make-their-sons-read-superhero-comics" can't say that gays are sissies! Bwahaha!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:01 pm
User Image

.// Oh, before I foget. Everyone interested in the Midnighter series I have just one simple warning.

.// DON'T EVEN PICK UP ISSUE SIX! gonk

.// They pulled a filler and did this dumbass feudal era story with a lack of research and horrid art.

User Image

Riosin

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:00 pm
Can't.. not.. skip..
Midnighter is pretty. crying
If he's cool-looking for even one panel, I don't want to miss it..

Plus if I end up buying the trade anyway, I don't really have a choice. xD;  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:13 pm
Some of them are just plain awful, though. xD 2 dimensional as you can get...  

Elaborate Testes

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:16 pm
Teh Dux0rz
What do you mean? American comics? Well of course they're two-dimensional, they're paper! Or the portrayal of homosexual relationships in them.. or something else?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:21 pm
Teh Dux0rz

User Image
User Image

.// If you mean character wise. Then I agree.

.// In other news, in Marvel vs. DC Captain America vs. Batman was oddly suggjestive. xd

User Image

Riosin

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:50 pm
I take it that's the thing in your sig? whee The art looks really cool!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:24 pm
xd
@R i o u k e: I love your sig....it makes me giggle.  

Duke of Drag

Beloved Conversationalist

Riosin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:41 pm
User Image
User Image

.// My signature aims to please.

User Image

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items