Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Interested entities? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sparrow_carol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:07 am
Could any of you by any chance provide some information on any supernatural beings that might have some interest in the lives of the humans around them? I've been given of course the usual examples of ghosts, angels, and demons, but could there be something else?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:37 am
sparrow_carol
Could any of you by any chance provide some information on any supernatural beings that might have some interest in the lives of the humans around them? I've been given of course the usual examples of ghosts, angels, and demons, but could there be something else?

It depends entirely on whether or not you do anything that interests them. Many inhabitants of the Spirit World are curious about humans, and when contacted are willing to trade information. In addition to the ghosts, angels, and demons mentioned above, there are entire hosts of spirits, elementals, faerie folk, and mythical beings who inhabit the Otherworld; just keep in mind that more than a few of these spirits are tricksters who enjoy playing jokes upon those foolish enough to contact them while others can be quite hostile, inflicting curses and maledictions upon their unfortunate victims.
My advice is that before attempting to contact a spirit, do a bit of research and find out whether the entity is friendly toward humans. Those who are friendly toward humanity can be useful allies in the Otherworld, and can provide help and advice for the spirit traveler. Good luck!

godhi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:07 am
In addition to what Godhi pointed out- it would also help if you gave some of us traditions which you draw from. It is easier then trying to list information on thousands of theologies.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:53 pm
Thanks for the helpful replies. I honestly don't think any member of my household has done anything interesting enough to attract attention, but there's one thing that seems to by trying to say they have. Do you think the traditions I draw from could have an affect on who/what would be interested in my household? If so, there’s a lot! The family has mostly been made up of members of different sects of Christianity, including Catholics, Lutherans, Mennonites, Methodists, Quakers - that’s all that immediately comes to mind from my research of family history. Naturally those are a good deal of what I’ve researched. I can’t imagine why family history would affect anything unless those traditions are still carried on, but just in case maybe I should mention that on my father’s side, a few “great”s up, there was a Native American woman, as well as a German woman who left her town in Germany in part due to religious reasons - some people seemed to believe she "did the devil’s work". We never found out why they said that, but assume it was because it may have been a small village stuck in time or something of the sort. Nothing like backwards thinking to villanize the everyday. Purely assumption of course. On mom’s side, a couple of my aunts branched off into different forms of spiritualism, though I’m not sure what since mom puts it all in the same boat - it’s all evil in her eyes. Aunt Lilly apparently at least tries to contact the dead, that’s all I know.

Here follows the somewhat unbelievable (and very LOOONG) story behind my questions, but I'll swear on whatever you wish that I won't lie to you. Something happened in my house that my mother claims is demonic. I happen to think there's a reasonable explanation. She came to me one day and told me about how worried she is about what I've been researching online because she feels it encouraged evil spirits to enter our basement. Note, my mother also thinks Anne Rice books open portals to Hell, so she's not exactly the easiest source to accept information from.

Not much happened to get her to reach the conclusion that I've unleashed Satan's minions upon the house, in fact, it wasn’t the first time she'd made that accusation. Except this time, instead of just feeling chills, she heard voices. The voices sounded like a male and female arguing. The noise came from the corner of the basement the TV sits, so the first thought that comes to mind is "turn the dern thing off!" but, it was. Not being one to let strange creepy voices stick around in her house, she proceeded to cast them out in the name of Jesus Christ.

Normally, I'd say that mom's just being her usual paranoid self. Except that I heard what she did too, in the same place - before she had told me about what happened - and after she had told who/whatever to leave. I've kept in mind, that when I heard them it was in the wee hours of the morning, so being sleepy may have affected my senses, but being accustomed to sleeping late anyway, maybe my sense were indeed all there. The first thing that crossed my mind, since the voices were very faint, was that it must be my parents arguing about who would have to get out of bed and come downstairs to yell at me to go to bed. On sneaking up the first flight of stairs though, I could hear them snoring, so I went back to the computer to keep reading. Soon after I heard them again, and assured that I was just being paranoid, kept reading and typing. Later I assumed the TV was on, since it made a noise, somewhat like the noise it makes when you turn it on, a sound almost as if someone had run into it. Often I do leave the TV on for background noise/light. But no, it was off too.

Now, I can be paranoid, but I'm also curious, and thought that even if I were being stupid by trying to listen to voices that probably weren't there, it might give me something to use in a story later on, so listen I did, while going about my business downstairs. They sounded male and female, or rather one was very deep, the other very soft. I managed to gather that they were discussing a female occupant of our house - the feminine voice sounding most patient. Looking back however, I don't recall the words themselves, or if they were in a language I recognize. That came to mind today actually. I was trying to remember, because mom's English is pretty weak. But go figure, memory escapes me.

And, I could just be completely crazy and the fact that mom heard similar things in the same spot just proves it's genetic xp

I know it sounds completely crazy, but I wouldn’t waste time typing it if it were all a lie. Especially since I have to be up early in the morning.  

sparrow_carol

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:45 am
I've always wondered if people who used Yeshua's bastardized Greek name were effective in that sort of thing beyond mere psychodrama.

Assuming for the time being that there isn't a completely corporeal reason for these voices: have you tried asking them who they are and what they need?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:56 am
TeaDidikai
I've always wondered if people who used Yeshua's bastardized Greek name were effective in that sort of thing beyond mere psychodrama.

Gospel of Philip says:

"Jesus" is a hidden name, "Christ" is a revealed name. For this reason "Jesus" is not particular to any language; rather he is always called by the name "Jesus". While as for "Christ", in Syriac it is "Messiah", in Greek it is "Christ". Certainly all the others have it according to their own language. "The Nazarene" is he who reveals what is hidden. Christ has everything in himself, whether man, or angel, or mystery, and the Father.

Probably not.

Rookherst[KOS]

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:11 am
Rookherst[KOS]

Gospel of Philip says:

"Jesus" is a hidden name, "Christ" is a revealed name. For this reason "Jesus" is not particular to any language; rather he is always called by the name "Jesus". While as for "Christ", in Syriac it is "Messiah", in Greek it is "Christ". Certainly all the others have it according to their own language. "The Nazarene" is he who reveals what is hidden. Christ has everything in himself, whether man, or angel, or mystery, and the Father.

Probably not.

How about a quick lesson on hidden names v. revealed names?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:33 am
TeaDidikai

How about a quick lesson on hidden names v. revealed names?

The Gospel of Philip is hard to dissect, any one saying can go about a million different ways. (Damn Gnostic writing and it's ability to be correctly interpreted from no matter which way)

In this case I initially would say hidden name means more of a True name, but that didn't ring quite so right in relation to the context. So I feel that Hidden name is referring the name of the flesh. Jesus was the "The man who clothes me", where as Christ was the one being clothes.

Philip then goes on to say that no matter what name the Revealed identity goes by, it remains the same. No matter by what name you call the figure, it is he who reveals Gnosis.

Jesus was one of this characters Fleshy incarnations.  

Rookherst[KOS]

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:46 am
Rookherst[KOS]
Jesus was one of this characters Fleshy incarnations.
I have been known to argue though- that it is possible that Jesus isn't the same being as Yeshua ben Yoseph.

Edit:

It is my personal opinion based on about half UPG and half history and it's context (history and context provide the idea- UPG provides the conviction)- that the person Paul wrote of often was not the same being as the person the gospels spoke of.

But perhaps this is best saved for a different thread.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:51 am
Rookherst[KOS]
Probably not.
Just so I am working on the same page- are you suggesting that outside of psychodrama Jesus as a name of evocation/invocation used to banaish beings does not work as well as other names because it is the name of the corporeal being and not the spirit within?  

TeaDidikai

Rookherst[KOS]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:55 am
TeaDidikai
Rookherst[KOS]
Probably not.
Just so I am working on the same page- are you suggesting that outside of psychodrama Jesus as a name of evocation/invocation used to banaish beings does not work as well as other names because it is the name of the corporeal being and not the spirit within?

Yes.

"Power of Christ Compels you!"  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:19 am
Rookherst[KOS]
TeaDidikai
Rookherst[KOS]
Probably not.

Yes.

"Power of Christ Compels you!"
To buy Girlscout Cookies! scream

Hmmm... Interesting.

But then, if your tradition is not based on the Jewish faith- Messiah wouldn't be the best choice- because there is no cultural context for it.

And if it is based on the Jewish faith, it would be even worse because it lacked national revelation and thus there wouldn't be anything to evoke.  

TeaDidikai

godhi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:23 am
This thread brings up an interesting theory of mine: that the reason why certain words, objects, and symbols have an affect upon some spirits and not others is because of the forms the spirits must take in order to have power over people and objects of the material plane.
To put it simply, a spirit has no shape or form; it is simply spiritual energy guided by a discorporate intelligence. In order to have an effect upon the material plane or its inhabitants, the entity must assume a form taken from the Collective Unconscious of humanity. The longer the spirit remains in this form, the more powerful it becomes and the more easily it can manifest upon the material plane and communicate with corporeal beings such as ourselves.

However, the Collective Unconscious is a powerful force, and in exchange for giving the spirit both shape and form, it binds the spirit to a set of rules that must be followed if the spirit is to manifest on the material plane.
For example, a spirit that manifests as a traditional demon or devil from the Judeo-Christian belief system would have the powers associated with such an entity, but would be vulnerable to the presence of cold iron, blessed objects, religious icons, the rite of exorcism, and the invocation of sacred names of power, i.e. Jesus Christ or the Archangel Michael.

By the same token, an entity who manifests as a malevolent spirit from Native American mythology (i.e. raven mockers, etc.) would be much more resistant to Christian prayer and rites of exorcism while cold-forged iron and blessed objects would have little or no effect; however, the spirit would be vulnerable to sage and sweetgrass as well as Native American rituals and sacred objects.
Curiously enough, a major component of this interaction between the spirit and the Collective Unconscious depends on the faith of the person who is attempting to banish it and their strength of will. Although a spirit may not be vulnerable to banishing rituals of a particular faith, if the strength of will and the belief of the exorcist is strong enough, these limitations can be overcome; having an exorcist of the appropriate faith does indeed help, as the combination of proper ritual, faith, and strength of will can be enough to banish all but the most powerful of spirits.
A word of warning: There are spirits of such frightening power that one exorcist may not be enough to banish them, even if the exorcist has both the faith, patience, and strength of will of a saint. Such entities are ancient powers who would laugh at most attempts to banish them, and only certain rituals, words of power, and arcane symbols will have any effect upon them--and only in the hands of a determined and experienced group of exorcists.
To quote from The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H.P. Lovecraft:
"Do not call up what you cannot put back down again."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:35 am
Sparrow, did you ever figure out who the spirits are and what they want?  

Thialona

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:03 am
Godhi-

The other option I have seen is that some spirits are actually thoughtforms and are bound by the notions of their creator.

This includes "deities" that aren't actually the proper deity, but are made in the image of what a neo-pagan thinks said deity is.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff