Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
So- what is it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:32 pm
What is magic?

A very simple question I am sure- but not one that is always easy to put into words.

How do you define it?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:43 pm
I define magic as using incorporeal means to create corporeal changes via your own actions and/or will.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:13 pm
Sciences which have not been fully discovered.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:36 pm
Oughtn't be so hard a question, but it is. For me, it's like asking "What is art?" I can tell you that I like art, and I can even show you some attempts of my own to create art, but actually pinning something down and saying that "this is absolutely art" is not something I feel qualified to do.

I think, as an answer I'd give if I really had to, I'd say that magic is a physical, substantial change in the world which has a cause that is insubstantial. I don't like the language of it, but that's why I really don't like trying to define it. I love English, but sometimes I just can't find a precision of meaning that gets across what I feel. And my above has gaps and inclusions it probably shouldn't. I mean, insubstantial-- like what, waves and photons? Does that make a sunburn magic? Yeeh.

Insubstantial and... somehow supernormal. Something twined, probably, with what is nonfalsifiable.

Oh hell, if I could pin down a definition and give a good, stable example, I'd win the James Randi Foundation challenge.  

TatteredAngel

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff