Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
Cloaking Devices-Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would A Cloaked Object Be Invisible to Radar?
  Yes
  No
  Maybe
View Results

ryan2390

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:03 am
Ok, Well we all know cloaking devices work by beding light around themselves when active right?

Now, for those of you who are unaware, Light as we see it(Visible Light) is an Electro-Magnetic Wave.

Now this brings me on to my question....Radar is a concentrated beam of radio waves...radio waves are also EM waves...so based upon this surely a cloaked object would be invisible to radar?

Ryan  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:06 am
I think Picard said in one episode it was.  

Naphatarie

Saoraan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:20 am
Even if it wasn't the cloaked ship in question could simply block the waves with its shields. The original Enterprise under Kirk did this when they traveled back in time to past earth to avoid detection.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:57 pm
I think this is a really good question! There are two ways to answer it. You could say that the cloak would just deflect the radar, or you could say that deflecting the radar would make a warbird-shaped blip on the screen. I may look into this further!  

Red Roses in December

6,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:08 pm
Yes.

The Klingon Bird-of-Prey in Star Trek 4 was completely undetected by
late 20th century tech while cloaked.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:14 pm
I think the cloaking device doesn't make it actually invisible, just unseen by radar.
Making it invisible in space seems a little strange. It's not like federation ships are lined with windows.  

Emi Uoza

Se Ga Takai
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:53 pm
Emi Uoza
I think the cloaking device doesn't make it actually invisible, just unseen by radar.
Making it invisible in space seems a little strange. It's not like federation ships are lined with windows.
They are, actually. The Captains Room, the Mess Hall, damn near every Quarters, there are Windows everywhere. The only part of the ship that doesn't have windows would be the Nacelles, or so I believe.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:21 pm
Se Ga Takai
Emi Uoza
They are, actually. The Captains Room, the Mess Hall, damn near every Quarters, there are Windows everywhere. The only part of the ship that doesn't have windows would be the Nacelles, or so I believe.

I was thinking of TOS. sweatdrop  

Emi Uoza

Kristof Canada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:35 pm
Looks like it's time to bust out some PHYSICS!

You're right that radio waves are an EM wave, just like every other form of light and radiation that's not alpha or beta (which are helium-4 nuclei and electrons, respectively). The Trek authors seem to forget this a lot, but I'll forgive them.

So, sure! If you can "shield" from one type of light, you can shield from radar as well. Militaries around the world have also developed some prototypes of things that are actually (semi-)invisible to radar and sonar. All that happens with radar is the light bounces off an object and comes back with a delay. It's just sonar with light.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games