Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Shapes?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shiro Akiyama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:44 pm
When drawing a person perse, is it necesary to start off with the basic shapes(skeleton) to make the body. I personally have problems when I do that so I go freestyle.

I will say my art isn't the best, but many have told me that I should start with shapes or I'll never get the right proportions done.

sample of my art

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:15 pm
It doesnt have to be shapes exactly but you should have some kind of sketch ( even if its a stick figure) to start out with so you get the proportions right and then just go at it all you want. Thats what I tend to do or else I get deformed people.  

Miki Hikari

Arachnist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:36 am
You should have some sort of guideline, to make sure that your proportions are correct. Shapes aren't necessary though...((I never got the hang of them. = =;; ))
You will want to use lines and curves, not only to sketch out the direction of the body parts, but also to mark off their lengths, before adding the details. Making a thumbnail sketch beforehand will also help you with the pose. Trust me, all of this will save you a lot of heartache from having to erase all your detail because your proportions are wrong.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:00 am
My art teacher always said to make HUNDREDS of thumbnail sletchs!!!! I personally (if its gonna be a very detailed picture) I like to use a ruler. I know that sometimes your drawings are gonna be small. But thats when a make-shift ruler comes in.
If you can remember the basic rules of how human proportians (sp?) are marked then your make-shift ruler will be your best friend!  

Ms_Kaos

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:15 am
Ms_Kaos
My art teacher always said to make HUNDREDS of thumbnail sletchs!!!! I personally (if its gonna be a very detailed picture) I like to use a ruler. I know that sometimes your drawings are gonna be small. But thats when a make-shift ruler comes in.
If you can remember the basic rules of how human proportians (sp?) are marked then your make-shift ruler will be your best friend!
Using a ruler can make your drawing stiff. I draw lines freehand. I learned a great way to train yourself to draw freehand straight lines.

Draw a dot and another dot. Ghost between the two without making a mark and then make one line quick and controlled between the two. The line has to pass between the two. It takes practice but your arm will learn the precision.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:42 pm
This is all I do for a framework:
User Image

It isn't so much to give me proportions (although I suppose it might), it's just to give me an idea of what pose I'm doing. 3nodding  

Votre

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff