Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Fluffy, or just completely nuts? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:11 am
This is a problem I've been having for a really long time. It involves certain friends of mine and their creation of a "religion".

Basically, what they've come up with is a hodgepodge of alchemy, psychic vampire theory (via the Psychic Vampire Codex by Michelle A. Balanger) and some crackheaded theory that the ancient Phoenicians were originally from predynastic Egypt, and that they were expelled for worshipping a "silver phoenix god", after being defeated by the followers of a "black dragon god". (phoenicia .org places the ethnic background of the Phoenicians in the eastern Mediterranean, not in Africa.) They also believe in the Mayan calandar's placing the world's end at 2012.

Now, one or two of their values make sense to me. Part of their practice involves music as a form of healing and enlightenment. Okay, fair enough. They believe spirituality to be a lifelong journey of discovery. Again, sound thinking, at least to me . . .

Then again, there is the strangeness: They also have said that Harry Potter, various anime characters, and certain rock musicians are all part of their souls and personalities. Now, I understand how you can empathize with a celebrity or a fictional character, but that's going a bit far.

Subtly, and sometimes, not-so-subtly, they ask me to join them, and throw off my preconcieved notions about existence. Though I try to keep an open mind about any spiritual viewpoint being valid (admittedly, I contradict that viewpoint a good deal), I can't help but get the feeling that this is all a bunch of insanity.

My basic response was to smile and nod, and to think, "Well, if it's your thing, I've got no right to tell you no."

No matter how cracked their theories sounded, I also didn't want to annoy them. Is there a place, spiritually, where someone can go from being "inspired" to just plain "loony"? Where do you draw the line? Are they fluffies or insane?

I am absolutely not making this up.

What would you have done in my situation?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:27 pm
JulieDoc
This is a problem I've been having for a really long time. It involves certain friends of mine and their creation of a "religion".

Basically, what they've come up with is a hodgepodge of alchemy, psychic vampire theory (via the Psychic Vampire Codex by Michelle A. Balanger) and some crackheaded theory that the ancient Phoenicians were originally from predynastic Egypt, and that they were expelled for worshipping a "silver phoenix god", after being defeated by the followers of a "black dragon god". (phoenicia .org places the ethnic background of the Phoenicians in the eastern Mediterranean, not in Africa.)

Bad Anthropology on their part. When confronted with reality- do they continue to deny it?

Quote:
They also believe in the Mayan calandar's placing the world's end at 2012.

They need a better understanding of the Mayan Calendar. It's a turning over of a cycle, not an end of existence.

Quote:
Then again, there is the strangeness: They also have said that Harry Potter, various anime characters, and certain rock musicians are all part of their souls and personalities.
Poke-Kin. Cute.

Quote:
Subtly, and sometimes, not-so-subtly, they ask me to join them, and throw off my preconcieved notions about existence. Though I try to keep an open mind about any spiritual viewpoint being valid (admittedly, I contradict that viewpoint a good deal), I can't help but get the feeling that this is all a bunch of insanity.
Sounds more like a passive Mr. Dark.

Quote:
No matter how cracked their theories sounded, I also didn't want to annoy them. Is there a place, spiritually, where someone can go from being "inspired" to just plain "loony"? Where do you draw the line? Are they fluffies or insane?
I'm not sure Fluff and Insanity is a mutually exclusive condition.

Quote:
What would you have done in my situation?
Giggled. Lots.

Then, systematically pointed out the flaws in their theories, mayhaps even have suggested they look into Chaos Magic.

But then, if Nuri’s the Nice one, I’m the Meanie.

When one goes from the culture's popular theology to a less popular one, there can be a pressure to be "Open Minded" about what other people believe no matter how bassat insane it is.

People don't like being judged, and when one is just starting out- one doesn't always have the experience or Eloquence to explain one's position to those who challenge them. As a result, challenge itself can be intimidating. When it all comes down to logic, there are some aspects of reality that are falsifiable- such as the historical significance of the Mayan Calendar and the origins of different cultures and peoples.

Some things aren't falsifiable. But that doesn't mean you have to "keep an open mind" about something that is really absurd. Sorry Xenu. twisted  

TeaDidikai

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:48 pm
Do they deny reality?

Constantly. Fiercely. and they try to get me to go along with it. They say I have a role to fulfill within their structure. Under who? Them? Not bloody likely.

Just because I more than occasionally want to deny being part of the human race does not make it so, does not make me Otherkin or the avatar of some "forgotten" god. A great interest in magical beings of all types does not make me one. (Because I am adopted and do not know who my parents are, they try to tempt me into their midst with said "revelations".) I am simply a person, and not "special" or "selected" or "chosen" for anything, at least not within their structure.

And because I insist on not frittering my stipend away on toys and paying my bills on time and cleaning my house, they insist I'm in some form of self-denial.

rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:10 pm
JulieDoc
Do they deny reality?

Constantly. Fiercely. and they try to get me to go along with it.
That's pretty much the heart of what a Fluff is.

Quote:
They say I have a role to fulfill within their structure. Under who? Them? Not bloody likely.
Sounds like they have a nice Mr. Dark going.

Quote:
Just because I more than occasionally want to deny being part of the human race does not make it so, does not make me Otherkin or the avatar of some "forgotten" god. A great interest in magical beings of all types does not make me one. (Because I am adopted and do not know who my parents are, they try to tempt me into their midst with said "revelations".) I am simply a person, and not "special" or "selected" or "chosen" for anything, at least not within their structure.
Sounds like a well grounded response.

Quote:
And because I insist on not frittering my stipend away on toys and paying my bills on time and cleaning my house, they insist I'm in some form of self-denial.

rolleyes
Sounds like you're doing well by yourself. Good on ya.  

TeaDidikai

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:28 pm
Yeah, well, so much of their so-called theory sounds as if they had derived it straight from the same type of book that advocates UFO conspiracy. sweatdrop

As for Mr. Dark, I think you're right, especially since they want to start a new "bohemian" movement that unites all the "disenfranchised". They're always coming at me with: "Don't act like such a martyr. You don't have to walk your path alone. Refusing our help is so unenlightened and stubborn of you." Then, the kicker: "Oh, but you need our help. You're in such an infant state when it comes to your spiritual growth."

That pisses me off. Who are they to judge where I am spiritually, then look down their noses at me and expect me to come weeping to them for guidance?

Wouldn't you be insulted?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:03 pm
JulieDoc
Yeah, well, so much of their so-called theory sounds as if they had derived it straight from the same type of book that advocates UFO conspiracy. sweatdrop
What's wrong with UFOs? ninja

Quote:
As for Mr. Dark, I think you're right, especially since they want to start a new "bohemian" movement that unites all the "disenfranchised". They're always coming at me with: "Don't act like such a martyr. You don't have to walk your path alone. Refusing our help is so unenlightened and stubborn of you." Then, the kicker: "Oh, but you need our help. You're in such an infant state when it comes to your spiritual growth."
Hmmmm... rational and grounded. Yeah- that's really imature of you.
Quote:

That pisses me off. Who are they to judge where I am spiritually, then look down their noses at me and expect me to come weeping to them for guidance?
According to you- they're your friends. mrgreen

Quote:
Wouldn't you be insulted?
Amused. Not so much insulted as very very amused.

But I have an odd sense of humor.  

TeaDidikai

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:25 pm
TeaDidikai
What's wrong with UFOs? ninja

It's the "conspiracy" deal I take exception to. Or were you just joking?

Quote:
According to you- they're your friends. mrgreen

They're the kind of people that I've found it hard to sever ties with, "friends" still, by default.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:55 am
JulieDoc

It's the "conspiracy" deal I take exception to. Or were you just joking?
Six of one...

Quote:
They're the kind of people that I've found it hard to sever ties with, "friends" still, by default.
Heh. Get busy. Seriously. Best way to flush out broken relationships.  

TeaDidikai

NMMoriaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:26 am
Er...Run, just run.

The way I see it, aviod having ANYONE tell you what to think  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:29 am
Are they soulbonders or mediakin or what?  

TheDisreputableDog

Specter Love

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:16 pm
This is reminding me very vividly of a bunch of people I used to be "friends" with.

I once knew a handful of college students who believed that they were characters from the anime Rurouni Kenshin in a past life. Their ringleader of sorts actually called himself "Kenshin." They'd roped my then-bf into thinking that he was one of them, a tertiary character from some little-known episode of the series. They taught him "Kenshin's brand" of swordplay, a weird mix of Kendo, fencing, Kenjutsu, and random posturing. Then they told him that he was the "Phoenix Heart," and that it was he who would save the world under their guidance in sixteen years when the world came under attack by demonic forces from the distant future.

Now, when confronted with anthropology, Japanese history, and religious sources, these people would shake their heads and say "That's what they WANT you to believe. Kenshin-sama was forgotten when he died; the demons WANTED it that way. That's why they must be defeated."

When I expressed my doubts to my bf, he laughed it off, but Kenshin's "Priestess" caught wind of my disbelief and got very upset, eventually convincing my BF to leave me for her and "fulfill his true destiny" as her protege husband, and messiah-figure.

He eventually came to his senses, dumped her, and ditched his friends, but I think they're probably still at it with some other poor misguided soul.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:04 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Are they soulbonders or mediakin or what?

hard to say. I've never heard of either. If "soulbonders" means they think their souls are bound to each other and mine to theirs, then, yes.

I think there may be a bit of truth to what they say. I always go back, against my better judgment. One of my more sensible friends has actually said they have a piece of my soul. Perhaps that's bull, or perhaps there really is a piece of me, (spiritually, emotionally, or what have you,) missing, and I am desperately trying to retrieve it.

The thing is, if they knew they had it, they'd probably not give it back.  

Hybrid Jewel

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:07 pm
Specter Love
This is reminding me very vividly of a bunch of people I used to be "friends" with.

I once knew a handful of college students who believed that they were characters from the anime Rurouni Kenshin in a past life. Their ringleader of sorts actually called himself "Kenshin." They'd roped my then-bf into thinking that he was one of them, a tertiary character from some little-known episode of the series. They taught him "Kenshin's brand" of swordplay, a weird mix of Kendo, fencing, Kenjutsu, and random posturing. Then they told him that he was the "Phoenix Heart," and that it was he who would save the world under their guidance in sixteen years when the world came under attack by demonic forces from the distant future.

Now, when confronted with anthropology, Japanese history, and religious sources, these people would shake their heads and say "That's what they WANT you to believe. Kenshin-sama was forgotten when he died; the demons WANTED it that way. That's why they must be defeated."

When I expressed my doubts to my bf, he laughed it off, but Kenshin's "Priestess" caught wind of my disbelief and got very upset, eventually convincing my BF to leave me for her and "fulfill his true destiny" as her protege husband, and messiah-figure.

He eventually came to his senses, dumped her, and ditched his friends, but I think they're probably still at it with some other poor misguided soul.

Yep, indeed. I've heard other stories about people like my "friends". Maybe my story isn't as crazy as it sounds. My ex, poor guy, is still there.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:02 am
JulieDoc
Do they deny reality?

Although Tea has already disected this, Fluffy They Be and Fluffy You Need Not Be. Sounds like a good way to start removing the ties that bind.

JulieDoc
Constantly. Fiercely. and they try to get me to go along with it. They say I have a role to fulfill within their structure. Under who? Them? Not bloody likely.

There was this one time, at band camp, in which I was asked to be part of a structure, and, no more mama, make the bad men go away. Mamaaaaaa....

Seriously, that reeks of Mr. Dark, and also cultish mind set. Maybe you are the virgin sacrifice or something. Whether you are a virgin or no, dont worry I wont tell, would not matter. Plus, you have a good head on your shoulders, which would make you even more "valuable" to them.

JulieDoc

I tell people that I am a god, so no worries there. As long as you dont start eating your own bullshit, I would say that you are fairly safe.

And you dont need these people to tell you about your real parents. Because, as I have seen in other cases, your parents would be extra terrestials, or something. rolleyes

JulieDoc

rolleyes

You dont buy toys? Blashpemer!!!!! evil

Ahem. Anyways, just figure out how to sever the ties, and you will do fine.

As for your ex, he obviously believes the bullshit, so do not feel sorry for him, until he opens his eyes and wants help.  

jaden kendam

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am
Cult! Cult! Cult!

Lets all strip naked and hug!!! ninja

Ahem...everybody here is right. Just stay away from them.

I doubt that they have a piece of your soul or whatever (is that even possile? eek ) What you need is a good, strong mindset and just walk away 3nodding .
You may keep going back because they are what you know, they are familiar. Once you get over that idea you'll be fine smile  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff