Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Venting Makes Me Feel Better

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boadicia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:59 am
All of a sudden, I don't like Tyler Perry anymore. (As the song says, hate is a strong word.) I used to like his Madea plays because they were so funny, even though they were Christian themed. Then a few days ago, my mother bought a copy of "I Can Do Bad All By Myself," and I saw an ugly, though subtly so, side of him. One of the characters was a Buddhist, and she was dating a Black Muslim.

There was a scene where they were eating dinner with their obnoxiously loud neighbor, who was a Christian fanatic. No problem, they come a dime a dozen. The Muslim went into a rant on how he hated Christianity because of how it was forced on black people during slavery, etc. Again, they come a dime a dozen, unfortunately. The problem lay with the Buddhism issue.

The fanatic neighbor went into a rather stupid rant about how Buddhism was destroying young people by getting them to worship a short bald fat man. I don't know if Tyler Perry was trying to make the character or himself (as the writer) look stupid, considering that Buddhists don't worship Buddha. In fact, I don't think they worship anything, at least not in the traditional sense. Also, especially since Buddhism is a highly respectable religion, it was inexcusably irresponsible to depict it as he did.

The character who played the Buddhist was terribly obnoxious herself. She couldn't go five minutes without spewing Buddhist beliefs. She had "Stop Persecuting Me" written all over her face. She was, dare I say it, a fluffy. She carried a terrible air of arrogance and had the nerve to begin tapping her fork loudly against the glass during prayer at the dinner table, which started the whole "downfall of the young people" conversation. She was just begging for attention and controversy. Then at the end she conveniently converted to Christianity again after kicking her boyfriend to the curb. I guess it doesn't help that her inspiration for becoming a Buddhist in the first place was a movie about Tina Turner.

So I don't like Tyler Perry anymore. I feel better now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:08 am
Sounds like a couple Buddhists I know actually.

Guess Art can mimic life.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:29 pm
Heheheh.
I have seen many parodies of many religious beliefs... some of which were malicious, others not.
However, I have also seen many works of fiction peddled as truth.
Heart of the matter, if you don't like the author, there are plenty of others available out there. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:52 pm
Maybe everyone presented was supposed to be despicable and unlikable.  

Annalixa

Boadicia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:12 pm
Possibly, since the story is supposed to be humorous. However, despite the humor, the stories inevitably deal with serious issues. Even if done for the sake of humor, there's no excuse for giving false information.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:21 pm
Boadicia
Even if done for the sake of humor, there's no excuse for giving false information.
Except- some Buddhists do claim to worship Buddha.

Fluffy Bunny Buddhists. evil  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces