Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
IG painting help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[!Fandango!]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:40 pm
Hi. I just joined this guild and I recently got into 40k. So, I just bought a box of Cadian Shock Troops and I'm almost done modeling them (17 done) and I neeps some help on painting. The only previous 40k painting experince is 4 Space Marines from the Battle for Maccrage Set. I thought the Space Marines were small, but Guardsmen are bloody tiny! Plus, instead of just snapping pieces together, the Guarsmen need super glue, which is hard for me, considering for the Space Marines I just took off their packs and bolters and painted them like that. I have all the necessary paints (Maccrage paint set and a few new additions from my local hobby store), Skull White primer, which I know is useless for IG and Space Marines. I'm guessing I should get a smaller brush for the skin of the Guardsmen, considering all I have is the starter brush, which severely screwed up my Marines eyes and shoulder pad lining. So, any help on painting the Gaurdsmen?

(P.S. Should I buy the big rulebook? I already have the condensed one from Maccrage, but does the big one have anything I need in it? I don't feel like shelling out 50 dollars for just a rulebook.)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:07 pm
Well keep in mind of course, normal marines dont snap together like the macragge ones.

Skull wgite is not useless depending on the race, rather what color scheme youre using. If you were playing white scars, imperial fists, or certain other chapters of marines white primer is useful, same goes for gaurd in snow camo.

You would want a small detail brush, and depending on what colros you intend to use, you may want a black primer.

I dont know what all is in the macragge rulebook other than that its less. If its enough to play with, than I can understand putting off getting the full rule book.

King Kento

Ruric Torrune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:48 am
Hmmm. A small detail brush is definitly something your going to want. and like Kento said, the primer isn't dependent on what race you use, it's by how light or dark you like your models. If your having probblems with super glue, try puting a little on a card, then use tooth picks to put it on the model. But that only works with gel super glue.
I can't realy tell you what color's would look good, 'cuz 1: that's up to you, and 2: I don't know what kind of cammo your going with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 am
Okay, well, I got a brush set today, but I still can't find any primer. Plus, the paint I tried on the Shock Troops that the box suggested went horribly wrong. I suppose I should of lightened it up with white paint. Unfortunately, until I get the Codex, I'm not sure what color scheme I should use. Back to getting odd jobs to get money.  

[!Fandango!]

Ruric Torrune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:57 pm
Well, if this is your first try at painting, start simple cammo scheems. And if your unsure about what form of cammo, think about what form of terrain you like the most. If you like desserts, go with that sort of cammo, if you like mountains, use grays and greens, if you like forests go green. That sort of thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:24 pm
One important tip is to paint in layers/phases, I say.

For instance, paint all of the cloth whatever colour you're painting it, and then paint the armour, and then the gun/other things that colour, and so on. Afterwords you can always touch up. It may seem kinda obvious, but I think that it is one of the most important things to keep in mind.  

Xenos Mortium

[!Fandango!]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:43 pm
Xenos Mortium
One important tip is to paint in layers/phases, I say.

For instance, paint all of the cloth whatever colour you're painting it, and then paint the armour, and then the gun/other things that colour, and so on. Afterwords you can always touch up. It may seem kinda obvious, but I think that it is one of the most important things to keep in mind.
Well, I've fully painted 3 of them with this paint scheme.

Helmet/shoulder pads- 3:1 Mix of Catachan Green and Skull White (making a very light green)
Armor/Lasgun body- Straight Catachan Green
Belt- Desert Yellow
Uniform-Straight Scorched Brown
Any metal parts (belt buckle/gun barrel) Boltgun Metal
Insignias/emblems- Shining Gold
Skin- Dwarf Flesh
Boots- Chaos Black  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:30 am
If you want to give the cloth texture, you can get a container of Brown Ink at GW, it works wonders. 3nodding  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Fignuts 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:19 am
[!Fandango!]
Hi. I just joined this guild and I recently got into 40k. So, I just bought a box of Cadian Shock Troops and I'm almost done modeling them (17 done) and I neeps some help on painting. The only previous 40k painting experince is 4 Space Marines from the Battle for Maccrage Set. I thought the Space Marines were small, but Guardsmen are bloody tiny! Plus, instead of just snapping pieces together, the Guarsmen need super glue, which is hard for me, considering for the Space Marines I just took off their packs and bolters and painted them like that. I have all the necessary paints (Maccrage paint set and a few new additions from my local hobby store), Skull White primer, which I know is useless for IG and Space Marines. I'm guessing I should get a smaller brush for the skin of the Guardsmen, considering all I have is the starter brush, which severely screwed up my Marines eyes and shoulder pad lining. So, any help on painting the Gaurdsmen?

(P.S. Should I buy the big rulebook? I already have the condensed one from Maccrage, but does the big one have anything I need in it? I don't feel like shelling out 50 dollars for just a rulebook.)
For the skin, there's no need to be careful. Just use a flesh color and use a brown ink over it, it will make your Imperials look sweaty and the brown will get into the nooks and crannys in the face, making a shadow effect too.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:57 pm
Fignuts 2.0
[!Fandango!]

For the skin, there's no need to be careful. Just use a flesh color and use a brown ink over it, it will make your Imperials look sweaty and the brown will get into the nooks and crannys in the face, making a shadow effect too.
If you use this, use a very LIGHT flesh tone, so that the brown ink doesn't overwhelm it  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Raven Eraendal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:41 am
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/flash-painter/1/

A bit late.. but this gives you a rough idea of what schemes you might like.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:48 am
Water down the brown ink by about 1:1 it will look better. Also black ink over metal at about 1:2 (water) will improve its looks.

Undercoats of black best. (spray will speed this up)

When you have the money and skill, buy the colour just down from the final colour you want and layer it up. (I do a much longer version doing about 5 to 10 layers).

Brushes: a detail, a drybrush, a whites brush (as the colour you usd before with make the white a very pale version of it) and a standard brush are a basic and needed.

Techniques; learn to drybrush. It does wonders. biggrin  

Kasthan

[!Fandango!]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:23 pm
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have tried drybrushing, but not for highlights. Thankfully, my package from GW with an IG codex and How-To paint guide came today. :] Finally I can paint my Autocannon team. My hand's been itching to just pick up a brush, just not the skill or knowledge to paint it. (I got so anxious I just drybrushed the barrel Boltgun Metal xD). I have seen how drybrushing adds great details to things. Now all I have to do is get a Leman Russ and a Karskin squad, 2 more heavy weapon teams, a Sentinel, an HQ squad, and much more paint.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games