The Catcher in the Rye
  On The Road
  Slaughterhouse 5
  one or more
  no, none.
View Results

ka-king_bingo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:47 pm
1. The Catcher in the Rye. (J. D. Salinger)
If you are an angst ridden teenager, you have this book to thank for your rebellion being somewhat accepted. Set in 1940's New York, The Catcher in the Rye fallows Holden Caufield in his journey to find his place in life. A glorious account of growing up and the quality of human character, I have no doubts that this book shaped me into who i am today.

2. On The Road. (Jack Kerouac)
This book will ruin you forever. I mean seriously mess you up. I mean you will look at a twenty dollar bill and say to yourself, "wow, now i can go to San Fransisco!" On The Road is Jack Kerouac's semi-autobiographical tale of a mad rush around the United Sates and the antics and drug induced happenings that ensued. The book that was dubbed the "Beat Bible" and has been drug about the nation in the back pockets of thousands of unambitious individuals out to prove nothing. This book shook a generation.

3. Slaughterhouse 5. (Kurt Vonnegut)
Our blackest humor. Kurt Vonnegut survived the bombings of Dresden in WW2, to come back and dish out an anti-war masterpiece. A tale of Aliens from Tralfamadore, Optometrists, POW camps, and Time Travel. Probably Vonnegut's most normal book.

(note: all these books are under 300 pages, so you have no excuse not to read them.)  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:59 am
I heard Catcher in the Rye was good, but I haven't heard anything about the other books.  

Wheafy the Squirrel

7OuterElements

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:58 pm
Read Catcher in the Rye and loved it. I read back it in high school, so I was surprised when everyone else thought it was boring. Philistines, I guess.

I've heard of the other two, but I've been too busy or too absent minded to pick them up and read them. On the Road sounds more like my kind of book, although I did enjoy Kurt's Cat's Cradle. Apocalyptic politics and religion made my day. I'll read them if you promise to read Ender's Game, Good Omens, and Rant by Orson Scott Card, Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett, and Chuck Palahniuk respectively.

By the way - your name, could that be the sound of a baseball hitting a bat aimed for a flickering star? That is, is your name a FLCL reference, or something else?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:59 pm
Bang, bang.
Man, I love The Catcher In The Rye.
Absolutely loved it!

Boom, boom.

Reptiliac

your castles are falling

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Wow, ka-king_bingo!, you and I have really similar literary

taste. On the Road is my favorite book, and Slaughterhouse-

Five
and Catcher in the Rye are also great. What other books

do you like?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Catcher In The Rye was very good.

I would argue that The Things They Carried should be added to that list.

Sherrlock Holmes

Beloved Genius

Encarton
Crew

Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 pm
User Image

I don't know...
I can't remember anything from The Things They Carried. Just that there was a part of the story that had to deal with a lady and a necklace of tongues. And that is because I made a necklace of tongues for a project on the book.

As for that list. I've only read The Catcher and the Rye.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Yeah, that was the Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong if I'm not mistaken.

:]
That was one of my favorites.

Sherrlock Holmes

Beloved Genius

Encarton
Crew

Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:16 pm
User Image

Yeah, I choose it cause I liked it as well.
That is the only thing I can really remember about the book though.
But I have no doubt that if I picked up the book and started going through it, it'd all come back. That generally happens with me and books. So hard to read through a second time because I lose interest after starting to recall stuff xP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:24 am

I am the SAME way!

I'm a creative writer, so I kinda have to read my stuff over again and I'm like UGH! I know what happens :[ This has no interest to me again!

Sherrlock Holmes

Beloved Genius

Encarton
Crew

Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:40 am
User Image

When I write, I read my stuff over and over and over.
Though that would be because I just know there is something that needs fixing. Edit edit edit...
But I don't often write unless I need to (essay or what not). Though apparently I've very good according to my Writing Seminar class.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:44 am

xD Probably because you edit it so much.

:[ I'm good at essays, but I tend to get straight to the point without having to write all the b/s in <<';
I have to have my boyfriend read over it in order to do that.

xD I always describe him as the guy who says EVERY freakin' detail.

When he's telling a story, I have to ask him to get to the point cause I just get tired of listening to details that aren't important lol

Sherrlock Holmes

Beloved Genius

Nimessa

Girl-Crazy Nerd

13,175 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:30 am
I enjoyed Catcher In The Rye, my dad told me to read it for ages. But I think i prefer some of J.D. Sallenjer's other stories.
haven't heard of the others though.  
Books/Movies

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff