Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Question on BL/Yaoi Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Forlornhope13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:03 pm
MistressPaco
I know somehwere in the bible it says to think about a sin is as bad as doing the sin.

I think if we are saying homosexuallity is wrong according to the bible.
Than us reading it/supporting it would also be wrong. The bible says it's wrong to condon sinful acts. I'm not christian. I like the thought that god would never send someone 'good' to hell. but if we are going by the rules, and saying the bible is the word of god or at least vauge interpritation of what he'd want. Than yes, reading about yaoi would be the same as acting it out.

Are you any other religion or just none at all? And if thinking about a sin is just as bad as doing it, then I guess I might have to agree with you on the yaoi thing. But that makes what we can think or read VERY limited, if we don't want to do sins. Ok, wait I want to ask this, so you won't go to hell for reading yaoi will you?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:07 pm
IceAngie
Skizzors
IceAngie
About your question, I don't really know, but I have my own opinion. I'm catholic, and I think there's nothing wrong with reading BL. Do you think God will get mad at you just because you read something?? There are people killing each other out there!!! Look, if reading BL is a sin, it's also a sin to read a newspaper, or watch the news, or read any book in which someone commits a sin (a crime, or any other sin).
There's probably a difference in why you'd read, say, a murder mystery and a BL. You most likely don't watch CSI out of some perverse pleasure for seeing dead people. But you read BL for sexual reasons, even if it's not out-and-out yaoi and you're not masturbating.. you're still willfully seeing something that is (we're assuming, to make the point) sinful, for your own pleasure.

It's not so much what you're reading as why you're reading it.

You are right about that, maybe my comparison was too extreme, but what I meant is that there are other terrible sins (if you want to call them that way), and I don't think God will pay so much attention at sex related things that don't harm anyone (I'm not talking about rape or that kind of things). I can be wrong, but it's just my opinion. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, is a sinner, there's absolutely NO ONE that hasn't commited a sin. IMO the important thing is how bad the sin is, and how much harm does it make. Oh, and please forgive my awful english... It is hard to me to speak even in my own language.

@iceangie- Sorry about the color. So you read BL or the hardcore too? But you still go to church and pray right? So you don't feel there's anything wrong with it.

@skizzors- So, it's different if you're reading something for sexual reasons or just for entertainment or knowledge?

Forlornhope13

MooMooJuice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:42 pm
MistressPaco
I know somehwere in the bible it says to think about a sin is as bad as doing the sin.

I think if we are saying homosexuallity is wrong according to the bible.
Than us reading it/supporting it would also be wrong. The bible says it's wrong to condon sinful acts. I'm not christian. I like the thought that god would never send someone 'good' to hell. but if we are going by the rules, and saying the bible is the word of god or at least vauge interpritation of what he'd want. Than yes, reading about yaoi would be the same as acting it out.

Now, I was taught, it's not a sin if you just think it. It's a sin if you let the pressure of wanting to do it, take over.

The thought is not the sin ( I want to eat that chocolate bar, even though I've already had one today ), the act is the sin. ( So I will, because I really want it )
See, if I refused to eat the chocolate bar, even though I really wanted to eat it, then it wouldn't be a sin, even if I thought about doing it. ( and I'm not saying eating chocolate bars is a sin... I was just trying to make a point. xD;; )

While I think reading Yaoi, would be as bad as if you were the person you were reading about, I don't think necessarly 'supporting' it would be bad... depending on how you look at it.
I've already said I don't support the idea that homosexuality is wrong, but if that's what we're going by, then, say...
Supporting BL, and encouraging it, would be wrong. But supporting a homosexual because you want them to be happy and loving them, isn't wrong.
... I might not be wording this correctly.
But it really depends on how you look at it. If you support BL for your own pleasure, that's much different the supporting it out of love.

And, I really don't think you can go to hell for reading yaoi... I suppose. Again, I guess it really all depends on how you see it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:58 pm
Forlornhope13

@iceangie- Sorry about the color. So you read BL or the hardcore too? But you still go to church and pray right? So you don't feel there's anything wrong with it.

Well, I have read some hardcore yaoi, but not knowing it was hardcore until I got to that part... I kept on reading, if the story was good enough, or if it was well written. And no, I don't feel it's wrong. And yes, I do go to church and pray. I think the Bible is a very wise book, but I don't forget it was written by men, and if you stick to the Bible, so many natural things are sins... like considering the woman unpure (impure? not pure?) when she gets her menstruation, and having to purify everything she touches and the clothes she wears and the chair in which she sits, etc. I just found that nonsensical and I think that is a product of the culture in the place and the time when it was written. I don't believe God really said that.  

IceAngie

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

[Romiette]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:33 pm
It all depends on your interpretation of the Bible but the majority of Christianity teaches that anything gay is "against God's wishes".

What I want to know is what gave a bunch of mere mortal men the idea that they knew everything about what God approves and disapproves?

@MooMooJuice- Lutheranism is a Christian sect so technically you are Christian wink  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:32 pm
It depends on if your the kind of Christian that thinks that being gay is wrong.

If so, yes, it's immoral.

If not, no, it's just a regular love story. wink

marrrow

Forlornhope13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:02 pm
ToDieLaughing
It depends on if your the kind of Christian that thinks that being gay is wrong.

If so, yes, it's immoral.

If not, no, it's just a regular love story. wink

Hi, ToDieLaughing!!!!! I guess I understand that, I was just worried that everytime I read a BL/Yaoi story even a teeny tiny bit more than BL, I was committing sins and could go to hell and was going against the Bible. So I guess it depends on how you feel. I don't want to pick Yaoi over the Bible or anything.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:34 pm
Forlornhope13
Hi, ToDieLaughing!!!!! I guess I understand that, I was just worried that everytime I read a BL/Yaoi story even a teeny tiny bit more than BL, I was committing sins and could go to hell and was going against the Bible. So I guess it depends on how you feel. I don't want to pick Yaoi over the Bible or anything.
Personally, I don't feel you should change your beliefs for your faith; you should change your faith for your beliefs. If you believe that homosexuality is not sinful, but your current religion does, consider switching religions/sects to reflect your belief. You shouldn't stick with something you don't think is right because it's the way you were raised.  

Skizzors
Crew

Forlornhope13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:39 am
Skizzors
Forlornhope13
Personally, I don't feel you should change your beliefs for your faith; you should change your faith for your beliefs. If you believe that homosexuality is not sinful, but your current religion does, consider switching religions/sects to reflect your belief. You shouldn't stick with something you don't think is right because it's the way you were raised.

I'm not actually sure what my religion believes on homosexuality. I'm baptist, but I've only been to church a couple of times. I still pray to god and everything, but I don't know where my religion stands on the subject. Maybe I should find out and that would take away some of my concerns on reading yaoi/BL.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff