Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A little help for a beginner?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  Yes, please!
View Results

YamiYumes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:02 pm
Hello there! I'm...'new' to this forum in the respect that this is my first topic, and if I'm in the wrong place for asking questions, feel free to move it. ^^;

I've been reading Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, and this will be my second read through, the first being a couple years ago when I was going through my fluffbunny stage.

I've been thinking for a while, and I've decided that I'm genuinely interested in this religion, and I wanted some input from those of you who have been in practice for a while.

You see, I've been having trouble letting go of my past religion, Christianity, because the pastors I had always said (not the exact words, but you get my meaning) "If you go to any other religion, you are in great danger of being possessed, damned to hell forever, etc., etc."

My question is...what did you do to get over this fear? Is this normal to be questioning myself like this and paranoid to practice what I've been taught to be 'abnormal'?

Thanks for your time,
Yami  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:06 pm
My first word of advice is:
Wicca: A Guide isn't actually Wicca.

As for how safe spiritual practices are- the Bible showed faithful being possessed. As for hell, if you are concerned with going there- perhaps it is a bad idea to break covenant with YHVH (that or you should figure out a way to die in battle. mrgreen )

Myself, the fear was never an issue. My traditions are my Fathers, not my Mothers.

As for is it normal to worry about such things? Very much so. You have been taught something from the time you were young and you have been told that turning away from such would be dangerous. I'd consider that very normal.

My question is this:
Does Neo-Saladbar Paganism appeal to you? Does it fill you?
What shortcomings do you find in Christendom? Is it possible that a different sect of Christendom will meet you needs better?

Have you looked into Christian Folk Magic? How about Ceremonial Magic? What of the spiritual traditions of other churches? Catholicism? Gnostic Christianity? Cathar tradition? The Latter Day Saints?

What of Judiasm?

How about the UU? When they aren't raping other people's cultures and closed traditions- they are a lovely group.

What about Recon Christendom?
How about the EOC?

What makes you feel drawn to Saladbar Paganism over some of the beautiful and diverse traditions within your parent faith?  

TeaDidikai

YamiYumes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:24 pm
TeaDidikai
My first word of advice is:
Wicca: A Guide isn't actually Wicca.

D'oh. XD I should have looked into that before I picked it up.

Quote:
As for how safe spiritual practices are- the Bible showed faithful being possessed. As for hell, if you are concerned with going there- perhaps it is a bad idea to break covenant with YHVH (that or you should figure out a way to die in battle. mrgreen )

Eh, the problem is that I don't believe in what they do. I don't agree with the Christian faith. It does absolutely nothing for me.

Quote:
Myself, the fear was never an issue. My traditions are my Fathers, not my Mothers.

As for is it normal to worry about such things? Very much so. You have been taught something from the time you were young and you have been told that turning away from such would be dangerous. I'd consider that very normal.

That's good to know. I was a bit worried there for a second.

Quote:
My question is this:
Does Neo-Saladbar Paganism appeal to you? Does it fill you?
What shortcomings do you find in Christendom? Is it possible that a different sect of Christendom will meet you needs better?

Again, I've studied all sects of Christianity, and I've honestly found none that really appeal to me. Hence why I've started reading up on Pagan/Wiccans.

Quote:
Have you looked into Christian Folk Magic? How about Ceremonial Magic? What of the spiritual traditions of other churches? Catholicism? Gnostic Christianity? Cathar tradition? The Latter Day Saints?

Again, I've read about them, and wasn't quite interested. Although, I'm also going to study Buddhism, Shintoism and maybe Hinduism.

Quote:
What of Judiasm?

A little too strict for me. (or the churches around here, are...)

Quote:
How about the UU? When they aren't raping other people's cultures and closed traditions- they are a lovely group.

I've never actually heard of them. Could you explain?

Quote:
What about Recon Christendom?
How about the EOC?

I'll have to read up on them more.

Quote:
What makes you feel drawn to Saladbar Paganism over some of the beautiful and diverse traditions within your parent faith?

For the most part, it was the ideals behind the 'one true God'. I'm still not sure what religion would fit me the best, so I've decided to experiment and I thought to start with a Pagan/earth based religion. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:43 pm
YamiYumes

Eh, the problem is that I don't believe in what they do. I don't agree with the Christian faith. It does absolutely nothing for me.
What aspects do you disagree with?

Quote:

Again, I've studied all sects of Christianity, and I've honestly found none that really appeal to me.

What does appeal?

Quote:

Again, I've read about them, and wasn't quite interested.
What did you read about the Cathars? Or the Gnostics?

Quote:
Although, I'm also going to study Buddhism, Shintoism and maybe Hinduism.
Skip considering Shinto unless you live in Japan or Hawaii. There are no Kami elsewhere.

I highly suggest the same for Hinduism. That whole being born into a caste thing and thus having Dharma to live up to/within doesn't work so well.

Quote:

If you think Judiasm is strict, skip Wicca. And skip any of the Celtic-Druid recons. You don't have the dicipline to learn the laws.

Might want to skip any deistic theology. After all, the gods do ask things of their children.

Quote:

I've never actually heard of them. Could you explain?

The UU is a group of folks who claim some very life affirming beliefs. My issue is that most of the ones I have had the misfortune of dealing with, claim to practice ethically, but don't on some misguided assertion of entitlement.

Quote:

For the most part, it was the ideals behind the 'one true God'.
You know, you'll find that in many sects of paganism as well.

Also note that not every sect of Christendom makes that assertion. There's a lot of scripture that mentions other gods, aspects of YHVH in an almost soft-polytheistic framework, not to mention the implications of heaven, unity with YHVH and ancestor worship.

Quote:
I'm still not sure what religion would fit me the best, so I've decided to experiment and I thought to start with a Pagan/earth based religion. biggrin

I'm just curious why.

The expression of fear makes me wonder if you should be looking elsewhere. It's natural to experience- but at the same time, Fear is usually a warning system, designed to keep you from making a mistake.

To discount fear's warning out of hand isn't always healthy or smart. In fact- breaking an oath to a god isn't always healthy or smart either.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:41 pm
YamiYumes

What do you think "the Christian faith" is and why does it do nothing for you? Why do you think a different faith will?

YamiYumes
Again, I've read about them, and wasn't quite interested. Although, I'm also going to study Buddhism, Shintoism and maybe Hinduism.

To add to Tea's notes, it's Shinto - not Shintoism. Not all religions are isms, even in English. Shinto is very, very, very location based. It's a fascinating spirit-system, though, and very dangerous.

YamiYumes
TeaDidikai
What of Judiasm?

Jews go to Synagogues, not Churches. What do you mean by "too strict"?

YamiYumes
For the most part, it was the ideals behind the 'one true God'. I'm still not sure what religion would fit me the best, so I've decided to experiment and I thought to start with a Pagan/earth based religion. biggrin

What do you think pagan and 'earth based' religions are? Why do you think they are less absolute than Christianity? What gods have you felt calling to you, if any? What do you feel about sacrifice? What do you know about history and anthropology of non-Western traditions? How much have you examined your entitlement and cultural imperialism before investigating traditions which are not native to you?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:49 pm
So let me ask the core question:

If you aren't buying the spiritual fulfillment part becuase it means nothign to you and doesn't give you any kind of hope or joy, why are you also buying the spiritual damnation part?

They are the same package. It is "do this and say these words or you will go to hell", but if you don't believe that those words have the power to save you from hell, then why are you buying the concept of hell in the first place?

It's like buying the Oreo cookies and only wanting to purchase the chocolate cookie parts.

If the part that gives hope and redemption and salvation of your immoratal spirit and soul doesn't appeal to you and you don't belive in that power to halep and fulfil you, then don't buy the punishment for turning your back on it either. That's going to jail for a crime you never committed.

Yes, this is perfectly normal. You were taught (brainwashed) from a young child that you would be terribly punished if you followed other religions, but that is contingant of following that religion itself. YHVH said that any of those who were his Chosen People (meaning the Jews at that time) who were found worshiping strange gods would be punished. He commanded those who followed him to attack and kill those who prayed to other gods. But he never said that the punishments reserved for the Jews who worshiped other Gods would be imposed on those followers of other gods, just on the Jews who followed other gods.

See the difference? It's subtle but HUGE once you look past the Christian brainwashing.  

Daven Moto

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:25 pm
Daven Moto

If the part that gives hope and redemption and salvation of your immoratal spirit and soul doesn't appeal to you and you don't belive in that power to halep and fulfil you, then don't buy the punishment for turning your back on it either. That's going to jail for a crime you never committed. ...that any of those who were his Chosen People (meaning the Jews at that time) who were found worshiping strange gods would be punished. He commanded those who followed him to attack and kill those who prayed to other gods. But he never said that the punishments reserved for the Jews who worshiped other Gods would be imposed on those followers of other gods, just on the Jews who followed other gods.
Unless she has by entering a pact with YHVH.

Quote:
See the difference? It's subtle but HUGE once you look past the Christian brainwashing.
Brainwashing?

I find that insulting. One raises their child with their beliefs- even if their belief is to allow the child to explore other faiths.

Merriam Webster defines Brainwashing as "a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas".

Children grow into ideas- they are not forciably indoctrinated by Christendom if they are raised within it and to suggest such is highly offensive.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:24 pm
Departing just a bit from Tea and Nuri's little cross examination going on here (which I think is a very good thing for anyone to undergo), put the book down right now and write down a list of what you think is important/"true." What do you value, what do you believe? I firmly believe the best way to go about life is to allow your intuitions guide your practices, not the other way around. Or in other words, how can you find what you're looking for when you don't even know what it is?

IMHO, Paganism's initial pull to a lot of people (myself included) coming from a Christian upbringing, in addition to the perceived "power" of magic(k), is the thrill of the exotic. Athame? Chalice? Rune? Oh boy, how novel sounding! But once the novelty wears off...what's left? Just because something is different from mainstream doesn't mean it can't stagnate, just as easily as something mainstream doesn't necessarily have to be dull and static and boring.

Also, more mundanely, I've read that it's often commonplace for Christian expats to recite the Lord's Prayer backwards every night for X number of days as a way of wiping the slate clean. Or try the "blasphemy challenge," if you're feeling particularly ornery and iconoclastic.  

Annalixa

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff