Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Minnx's Arties~

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minnx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:12 am
Minnx's Sketchbook

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

DeviantART

Art Shop

..::About::..

I'm fifteen, I love to draw, but don't doodle as much as I should. I like all different styles in art and can usually see the beauty in most things. The only thing I'm really familiar with drawing is the anime/manga style because I've been drawing only that for the past few years, but I have been drawing in general since I was very young. But in this past year, I've been trying to get into realistic drawings.

I'm very hard on myself and a perfectionist but somehow I'm also very lazy and kinda of give up easily most of the time. Not good qualities for an artist. :<

I don't believe I have a certain style yet, but really want to find my own. I like to experiment with different techniques when I can and try to draw in others' styles to see if I can do it. I feel I'm only good at drawing when I can look at something while drawing.

..::Tools I Use::..

I don't have a lot of resources but love to work with what I've got. I like to be resourceful with things when I can.

..::No.2 Pencils

..::0.5 & 0.7 Mechanical Pencils

..::Sakura Pigma Micron Inking Pens
005, 01, 02, 03, 05, 08

..::99 Cent Store Colored Pencils

..::Sometimes I'll touch up with paint

..::Critiquing::..

I'm very sensitive and take peoples' words to heart. So whatever you say, please make it very beneficial. I am going to ask for truthful critiques and that you aren't too painfully blunt. Just don't sugar-coat it for me either.
Or just ignore that sensitivity and speak what you need if I need to hear it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:13 am
Strengths and Weaknesses

..::What I Want To Improve On::..

..: razz roportion

..::Anatomy

..::Size (same thing?)

..::Hands, my gosh, hands

..: razz oses

..: biggrin rawing men and boys

..::Clothing and folds

..::Shading

..::What I Think I'm Good At::..

..::Girls

..::Hair (somewhat)

..::Eyes

Minnx

Minnx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am
Recent Art

This is a fanart for someone's Dir en grey comic on deviantArt. It's supposed to be Die but it doesn't really look like him. I've never done fan art of real people so I kinda failed on getting his appearance right. The stuff coming from his mouth is supposed to be blood because this is a zombie version of Die. I used references that were cartoon-style so it wasn't the best idea.

I've only been working on avi art recently so this is my most recent normal sketch. It's also submitted on DeviantART. Click to view a bigger size.
I drew it while looking at a printout of a small photo, here. (I scanned the small photo and it's bigger now.) Yes, I know there is a lot to fix so break it to me. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:51 pm
Regarding your Recent Artwork::

You've got the basic outline down and your time and effort on the eyes and hair are obvious. I especially like the eyelashes on the eye. The hair strands are very good, though keep in mind that hair rarely falls stringy--most of the time, they fall in general "locks".

I suggest you outline/darken your eyes a little more, as the model you're using is wearing very dark makeup and his eyes are in the shadows (feel free to shade the eyelid and forehead in as well).

Your general shading is very nice, though I believe more darkness near the forehead area (due to the hair and shadows) will make the picture a little more realistic. Also, seeing the model picture, there is a bit of shading near the left side of the lip that extends over the entire "line" of that side of his face.

I also suggest outlining the lips a little more and taking your time putting in the general creases and folds, shading the upper lip darkly to show that he is wearing makeup (upper lip dark, lower lip glossy).

I really like your general realistic trend here (I'm no expert of realism) XD. However, I want to note that the eyes are a little too close apart.

In general, I applaud you--the resemblence between the two pictures is obvious 3nodding If you shade it in a little more, I think the picture will look excellent.  

Okiyami

Minnx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:24 pm
Thank you very much for the critique, I actually do have some shading in the forehead area and eyes but usually when I scan, it makes everything brighter. But I think it would look better if I darker it.

Um, do you have any tips to create a glossy look? Or I can just try and figure it out. ^^;

And thanks again for the critique and praise. :3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:46 pm
Minnx
Thank you very much for the critique, I actually do have some shading in the forehead area and eyes but usually when I scan, it makes everything brighter. But I think it would look better if I darker it.

Um, do you have any tips to create a glossy look? Or I can just try and figure it out. ^^;

Yeah, scanners can really screw a picture up (the reason why I gave up on colored pencils XD).

Glossy looks are usually created by a mix of contrast and gradient shading. Make the lines between the "color" and the "shine" very dark.... er, how do you explain this? To make things look more metallic or glossy, make that area more contrasted (darker shades and lighter highlights) with fewer "grays" in between.

Er... I don't make any sense sweatdrop I'd like to scan an example, but my scanner died on me months ago...  

Okiyami

Minnx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:58 pm
Okiyami
Minnx

Yeah, scanners can really screw a picture up (the reason why I gave up on colored pencils XD).

Glossy looks are usually created by a mix of contrast and gradient shading. Make the lines between the "color" and the "shine" very dark.... er, how do you explain this? To make things look more metallic or glossy, make that area more contrasted (darker shades and lighter highlights) with fewer "grays" in between.

Er... I don't make any sense sweatdrop I'd like to scan an example, but my scanner died on me months ago...

I think I understand... xD;;
Aw, your scanner...well, thanks for the kind intention.

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games