Steel Legion help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XxWild-Eyed_JokersxX

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:11 pm
Alright... I'd like to make a fluffy Steel Legion army, Mechanised and stuff, but there's a problem... With the limited amount of models, and mind you they're all metal, how do I convert some into useful units..?

Problem #1
A meltagun would be useful, but none of them have one, let alone a flamer... How would you convert it?

Problem #2
Limited leaders... Pretty much I'm restricted to a model with a power sword and bolt pistol if I stick with the normal lieutenant... I'd like to have somethin different, but alas, I'm afraid my Commander will have only that. And since Wargear has to be represented... This'll be difficult... What do you guys do for your leaders..?

Problem #3
Wargear. Representing it for the most part... Stuff like grenades or the fancier thins as well for officers. Either this is going to take a lot of green stuff, or hunting down bits and pieces... Please tell me there's a simple way to do this...

Any ideas or tips..?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06 am
As ever, check Battlewagon Bitz for your single part needs. But if you want an army of that style, why not wait until Kreig come out, even though they're pretty much done now anyway. They've got unique tanks and riders and all that cobblers, and ultimately, they're similar in price to metal models for the most part, except they come with more weapon options, more chance for conversion because they're flexible, and of course, you get the "I buy FW, FU" elite card.

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

XxWild-Eyed_JokersxX

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:16 pm
A.R.G.U.S Mykal
As ever, check Battlewagon Bitz for your single part needs. But if you want an army of that style, why not wait until Kreig come out, even though they're pretty much done now anyway. They've got unique tanks and riders and all that cobblers, and ultimately, they're similar in price to metal models for the most part, except they come with more weapon options, more chance for conversion because they're flexible, and of course, you get the "I buy FW, FU" elite card.

-Mykal

I was thinking about that, but I'm not much of a Kreig fan. True, tactically and financially, (well, not sure about that one), they'll be more efficient.

Here's an idea for them, though. Since Storm Troopers aren't from the regiment itself, I could probably just use Kreig models for that. Lord knows I can't find the old school storm troopers on an english website...

Haha, an elite card, huh? Sounds fun. I was thinking about buying some vehicles from there anyways. Do you know anyone who plays with a gorgon transport?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:55 pm
No, I don't know anyone who's bought one. Seems to be big though.

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

XxWild-Eyed_JokersxX

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Yeah, that it does...

Not sure, but would it be acceptable if I used green stuff to form 'goggles' on the Krieg dudes and use them as Steel Legion models..? They look similar enough to me, but would people usually allow that?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:52 pm
Asian_Rebel
Yeah, that it does...

Not sure, but would it be acceptable if I used green stuff to form 'goggles' on the Krieg dudes and use them as Steel Legion models..? They look similar enough to me, but would people usually allow that?

There's nothing different between them other than looks. They're all guardsmen, all worth the same points. The doctines make them unique. You could have a Catachan or even Mordian army with Krieg doctrines or Savlar Chem Dog doctrines (Listed at the back of the Codex I think) and they'd just look different. A guardsman is a guardsman is a guardsman. WYSIWYG only really applies to equipment, to stop a grenade being a Land Raider, or a serve-skull a Warhound Titan.

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

XxWild-Eyed_JokersxX

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:34 pm
Really...? eek So... I could just take Krieg dudes and not have to alter them to make grenadiers for my Steel Legion army..? Is that tourny legal...? confused  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:28 pm
Asian_Rebel
Really...? eek So... I could just take Krieg dudes and not have to alter them to make grenadiers for my Steel Legion army..? Is that tourny legal...? confused
Well, so long as you list them as Guardsmen. However, if you wanted to use the doctrines for a specific army, then you might run into troubles, but the Krieg and Armageddon soldiers are similar enough that they'd pass for one another if painted right. And as per grenades, one squad of Krieg guardsmen comes with like twenty grenades, ten frag and ten krak, so you can use them.

On the British store page, you can get the six different troopers for £2.50 each, the two Sergeants for £5.25 each, the two Lieutenants for £4 each, and the heavy weapons teams for £8.00 each. Now, on average, your Death Korps of Krieg will run you roughly £3.20 each from a squad of ten, and the heavy weapons teams run you £14 each (£28 if bought in groups of 3). An option you may want to consider is using normal Steel Legion for your basic troops, and then using Death Korps for your Storm Troopers.

@Mykal- Elite card? If such a thing exists, I want it. I spend too much money there. neutral  

Xenos Mortium

XxWild-Eyed_JokersxX

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:07 pm
Xenos Mortium
Well, so long as you list them as Guardsmen. However, if you wanted to use the doctrines for a specific army, then you might run into troubles, but the Krieg and Armageddon soldiers are similar enough that they'd pass for one another if painted right. And as per grenades, one squad of Krieg guardsmen comes with like twenty grenades, ten frag and ten krak, so you can use them.

On the British store page, you can get the six different troopers for £2.50 each, the two Sergeants for £5.25 each, the two Lieutenants for £4 each, and the heavy weapons teams for £8.00 each. Now, on average, your Death Korps of Krieg will run you roughly £3.20 each from a squad of ten, and the heavy weapons teams run you £14 each (£28 if bought in groups of 3). An option you may want to consider is using normal Steel Legion for your basic troops, and then using Death Korps for your Storm Troopers.

Yeah, since I was planning on using the grenadiers doctrine, I was going to use Krieg-dudes as Storm Troopers. Wow, that really simplifies things for storm troopers... Thanks guys! biggrin

And do grenades have to be represented on every model of a squad...? gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:55 am
Xenos Mortium
Elite card? If such a thing exists, I want it. I spend too much money there. neutral

It's metaphorical. You may notice some people get big-headed because they buy FW? It's that. XD

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

XxWild-Eyed_JokersxX

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:27 pm
Well, FW does produce some cool and unique models. 3nodding  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items