Welcome to Gaia! ::

Panic! At The Disco Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for Panic! At The Disco fans to gather and discuss. 

Tags: Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, Music 

Reply PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild
The Daily Page Article

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:14 pm
The Daily Page
Summerfest is sort of a big deal for Panic! At the Disco, the band's guitarist and songwriter Ryan Ross said by phone in late June.

The number of shows they've played since its Nothing Rhymes With Circus tour ended last December can be counted on one hand. And these guys are preoccupied with other things just now.

"We're in the middle of writing a record," Ross said. "We've been holed up writing. It's been good. It's been a lot different [from the last time]. We have more time to write the songs this time around."

So, Panic will emerge from the hit-making bunker in their hometown of Las Vegas to bring their hypervisual tilt-a-whirl of a show to this northern clime.

Costumes! Dancing girls! M.A.C. makeup!

"It comes from a lot of things," Ross said of the historically-informed theatricality that earned the band a nod from MTV. "That time period is very fascinating. We want to carry that [visual] aspect as well as playing music."

The influence of Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge, frequently cited by Ross -- also a Cirque du Soleil fan -- is apparent in clips like Panic's Video of the Year Award-winning "I Write Sins Not Tragedies." What makes their videos compelling is that they're clever, dorky and provocative in equal measure.

Movies as well as literature influence Panic! At the Disco's songcraft. Ross, who took creative writing at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, is a Bukowski fan. "Most of what I write is in the songs," he said. "I tend to get on a subject and I'll write way too much. That's really my favorite part of writing songs: the lyrics."

Ross and his bandmates Brendon Urie, Jon Walker and Spencer Smith,seem like typical, if somewhat brainier, college boys—having found a home on Chicago native Pete Wentz's Decaydance label before their skin had even cleared up.

"I'd actually just heard he was starting a new label," Ross said of the Panic's mentor. "I liked the bands they had at the time. We got lucky that he enjoyed the songs [we wrote]. It's been good so far."

Like most 20 year olds, Ross isn't sure where he wants to end up. Though, being a rock star who's already graced the cover of Rolling Stone certainly isn't bad for a start. "It's hard to say at this point. I never thought we'd get this far. I think the biggest challenge for [us as] artists these days is making great music that's challenging for us and for people to hear."

Panic! At the Disco headlines at Summerfest July 7. Labelmates Gym Class Heroes, The Academy Is..., and The Hush Sound support.

I'm pretty impressed by this article. I liked the way Courtney Becks wrote it. It sounds like Panic! At The Disco is doing pretty good, no? And FINALLY -- someone wrote an article that didnt call Panic! "emo," and they even spelled Brendon's name right! Wooohoo! What do you guys think of the article? Anybody going to Summerfest tomarrow?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:24 pm
Uh I wish! (Answer to the last question xp )

Panic! is doing pretty good. In fact, I'd say they're doing more than pretty good.Their success is pretty amazing... unique 3nodding xp

I like the article too, it represents them well 3nodding

Polyphonic Twilight

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:54 pm
Agreed. 3nodding

"Ross and his bandmates Brendon Urie, Jon Walker and Spencer Smith,seem like typical, if somewhat brainier, college boys—having found a home on Chicago native Pete Wentz's Decaydance label before their skin had even cleared up."

I think that part is funny. xD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:34 pm
Mhm 3nodding

Except it's kind of weird that it says brainier than typical college boys... I mean, aren't college students pretty brainy? xp Like I think if you were to ask someone who they thought was smarter: a college student or a guitar player, most people would say the college student... don't you think? Even though that really has nothing to do with it, because obviously being in a band doesn't make you stupid xp Just the 'image', I guess... I don't know, I think I'm starting to not make sense anymore xp I need to get to bed.

Polyphonic Twilight

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:26 pm
Okay, Poly, lets think about this.

Ryan's lyrics are nucking futs. Like...who thinks of this stuff?!
Brendon wheres those crazy-butt glasses.
Brendon can play not only guitar, but keyboard, accordian, piano, organ, cello, bass, drums, and vocals.
Spencer does that thinking thing before he answers interview questions.
Ryan and Brendon talk to each other when answering interview questions, to make sure they are answering it right.
Ryan uses words like "ironic" and "indifferent," when just having a normal conversation. What kind of twenty year old uses those words on a regular basis?!
They think of these crazy skits that they perform in front of thousands of people, every other night on tour.
They'd rather sit around and talk about writing music and their stage show than go out and party.
JWalk is a livejournal stalker.
...etc etc.

Comon, now. If thats not brainy, I don't know what is!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:54 am
Aww I love them so much 4laugh

You're so right.
But I still think college students are brainy too xp College isn't easy to get into, y'know.

Polyphonic Twilight

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:36 am
Well, of course.

But when you say "college student," I think of my sister. And she isnt brainy what so ever. o.o

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:54 am
Really? Hmm. An exception to the rule? xp

I don't think I actually know any college students surprised

Polyphonic Twilight

tanyjames

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:09 pm
`PrimeRib

Brendon can play not only guitar, but keyboard, accordian, piano, organ, cello, bass, drums, and vocals.
Ryan and Brendon talk to each other when answering interview questions, to make sure they are answering it right.
Ryan uses words like "ironic" and "indifferent," when just having a normal conversation. What kind of twenty year old uses those words on a regular basis?!
They think of these crazy skits that they perform in front of thousands of people, every other night on tour.
They'd rather sit around and talk about writing music and their stage show than go out and party.
...etc etc.

where did u get all that?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:59 pm
Polyphonic Twilight
Really? Hmm. An exception to the rule? xp

I don't think I actually know any college students surprised

I think most college students are party animals. xD You know, sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.

PrimeRibby
Captain

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:00 pm
tanyjames
`PrimeRib

...etc etc.

The top of my head. gonk

I know, the obsession is pretty sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:20 am
`PrimeRib
tanyjames
`PrimeRib

...etc etc.

The top of my head. gonk

I know, the obsession is pretty sad.

its really kool
jon is a livejournal stalker...lol
and spencer does think!  

tanyjames

Online Violation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:40 pm
Awe I want to go to summerfest -gloom-
I love this article...
If only I could find a way to get to this or the next summerfest...

PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games