Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ~.The Atheist Guild.~
My crazy grandma...and her satanic grand daughter.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Similar situations?
  yes
  no
  PIE!!!!
View Results

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:49 pm
two weeks ago was the first time id seen my grandma in four years, and i had turned atheist in that time. She and my family of course didn't know this yet.

While visting my aunt needed triple bypass surgry (shes fine) so my grandma stayed to watch over her. Well she was sent to a catholic hospitol, (sp??) which had crossess over all the doors, a chapel, and a tv channel dedicated to 24/7 of the mother marys face. Annnd.. a preist that came in before operations. When he asked everyone to hold hands and bow their heads in pray, i stepped back and said i had an errand. My grandmas gaze narrowed and i broke down and joined the circle and pretended to pray.

The next day, my family kept getting calls from people in arizona where my grandma is from asking why parents let their heathen daughter loose.

My grandma had went sobbing on the phone to her pastor, and has a whole church group praying for me to be saved. because im "satanic"My mom, forced me to "pretend" to be christian for the rest of the visit, and banned me from wearing my full metal alchemist blood seal shirt.

Curious i read about the satanic religion, it is not even close to my belifs as an atheist, and i don't believe in satan in the first place.

I got really upset and complained to my uncle that why was it so hard for her to accept me......he just frowned and said....we just can't honey.

i'm really upset my family ended up taking it this way. And more so it ended in an argument how i didn't respect my aunt enough to try and pray for her.

What do you guys think of my situation? any advice? or similar stories????  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:16 pm
I find it easiest, as well as more respectful to just kneel your head and pray. Even if you dont believe in their god. I have a friend who's family is just like that, he's a little more accepting of my atheism, but his family is not. I hate when people go to such drastic measures, or involve an entire group of people that have nothing to do with the situation. I find it best to test their religion, ask such questions as "well, why dont you believe in the thousands of other possible gods?" say s**t to them that will rattle their cages like "we are both atheists I just dont believe in as many gods as you"

You should put your foot down on this satanism thing. That's unacceptable bullshit.

Not wearing the blood seal shirt was probably a good idea. You could have explained it's just a crappy over rated cartoon (no offense to fans, just dont get crazy on me saying the show is real alchemy, that's just not what alchemy is or was) but they probably wouldnt listen to you.  

[Hollow Point]

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:05 am
(my dad has the same veiws on the show as you did...and i agree but i still like the show.)

I did put my foot down, i got pissed off she still went on sobbing about it, i didn't yell of course, the womans anceint, i didn't want to kill her. And really she wouldn't listen she refuses to even get to know this part of me. Its sad...

And OMG!!! i never looked at it like that, christians are somewhat atheist aren't they? not believeing in all the other gods that could (religiously speaking) be out there.

Thanks ill take your advice on the praying thing, i just felt un comfortable....but it doesn't help she went all out raiseing her hands in all out passonate prayer...to show me how...*rolls eyes.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:12 am
My grandma has a mass every year on the anniversary of my grandpa's death. I went last year because I was forced to. When the priest told us to go up and get that 'bread' if you can call it that. I just stayed seated. My cousin Kimberly (She's the only one on my moms side of the family that actually talks to me, she's an atheist too) came over and sat beside me. My grandma came over and yelled at us because we were satan worshippers and that we are going straight to hell... I burst out laughing.
User Image

[.Julie Booly.]

Heterosexual Fa gg ot
Captain

XaltxrockX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:37 pm
Wow... That's harsh.

And that's good advice. I just sit there at the back and watch everyone pray... when i go to my grandma's house, I have to go to the church they live by... and I have no choice, so me and my sister go and stay seated.

If it helps, I showed my grandma a picture of a drag queen and I told her that he was gay so it didn't matter... she started to yell at me that ALL gays will go to hell because love of the same sex is SIN.

My sister tried to defend him too.(she's agnostic) My grandma was yelling at her now. I just tuned her out and sat in the recliner. I heard her say, "How can someone who went to church for years, not believe in God?" My sister had her head turned to the armrest of the couch, she was sitting on.

My grandma turned to me and said, "You know, it seems like you're going into a fire, I can't pull you out because you keep pushing me away. I'm scared for you, Meghan" I stared at her, before standing up and walking outside.

I'm not sure if that helps. sweatdrop I also have yet to tell my paw paw...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:21 am
Lyoko_Alchemist
two weeks ago was the first time id seen my grandma in four years, and i had turned atheist in that time. She and my family of course didn't know this yet.

While visting my aunt needed triple bypass surgry (shes fine) so my grandma stayed to watch over her. Well she was sent to a catholic hospitol, (sp??) which had crossess over all the doors, a chapel, and a tv channel dedicated to 24/7 of the mother marys face. Annnd.. a preist that came in before operations. When he asked everyone to hold hands and bow their heads in pray, i stepped back and said i had an errand. My grandmas gaze narrowed and i broke down and joined the circle and pretended to pray.

The next day, my family kept getting calls from people in arizona where my grandma is from asking why parents let their heathen daughter loose.

My grandma had went sobbing on the phone to her pastor, and has a whole church group praying for me to be saved. because im "satanic"My mom, forced me to "pretend" to be christian for the rest of the visit, and banned me from wearing my full metal alchemist blood seal shirt.

Curious i read about the satanic religion, it is not even close to my belifs as an atheist, and i don't believe in satan in the first place.

I got really upset and complained to my uncle that why was it so hard for her to accept me......he just frowned and said....we just can't honey.

i'm really upset my family ended up taking it this way. And more so it ended in an argument how i didn't respect my aunt enough to try and pray for her.

What do you guys think of my situation? any advice? or similar stories????

so much love and minds wasted by stubborn religon  

Veinlash

~.The Atheist Guild.~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces