Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Anyone read Bujold's Chalion series? Care to comment?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestiara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:42 pm
I love Lois McMaster Bujold's novels of Chalion. There's the Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt. The Curse of Chalion takes place first chronologically, but I read them in reverse order, starting with The Hallowed Hunt, and I can honestly say it doesn't really matter which order you read them in. Anyone else have an opinion?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:13 pm
most of her life she wrote "hard" sci-fi; i believe she has an engineering or military background, or both?

she seems more comfortable to me in that milieu, it's more natural for her.  

chessiejo

Celestiara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:48 pm
I know she also writes sci-fi, but I haven't been able to get my hands on the first sci-fi book she wrote, and I want to read them in the order they were written in.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:49 am
i read The Warrior's Apprentice

and Brothers In Arms

they're both quite military themed

and early

here's a bibliography with dates:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/lois-mcmaster-bujold/  

chessiejo

Celestiara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:09 pm
Thanks!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:58 am
I really liked her Chalion series!! They were amazing! My favorite was The Curse of Chalion though. It's kind of strange because it seems like so much happens in her books and then when you look back at it not a lot has actually happened, it's all character stuff. But the characters are so great it doesn't even matter. At least, that's what it seemed like to me.  

bluemouse2

Minako85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:26 am
I really enjoyed the Chalion books...but are there just 2 books of the series?Or did she write more books that were never translated in Italian('cos I'm Italian)?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:32 pm
Minako85
I really enjoyed the Chalion books...but are there just 2 books of the series?Or did she write more books that were never translated in Italian('cos I'm Italian)?
Celestiara listed the three titles at the top of the topic.
I really enjoyed all of the books, but Curse of the Chalion is my favorite. I thought it was funny that..... what is his name, the main character, stressed I can't think of his name(!) .....anyway, when he just barely recovers from his ordeal as a slave, he's finally getting back to good health and then he does that death miracle thing and makes himself sick all over again! I found it supremely ironic.  

storylistener

Minako85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:10 pm
storylistener

Uh sorry I didn't noticed that...in Italy they were translated with different titles,so I made some confusion.I guess the third was never released in Italy...what a shame. sad  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:11 pm
Minako85
storylistener

Uh sorry I didn't noticed that...in Italy they were translated with different titles,so I made some confusion.I guess the third was never released in Italy...what a shame. sad

If your English is this good, I'm sure you can order an English version and be just fine with it. You can find them on amazon.com, and I think there's an order place on Bujold's website...  

Celestiara

Alice Dormouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 am
I really liked The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls; but The Hallowed Hunt was just okay; since it's set in a different time and I didn't feel "connected" to the first two Chalion books.

I also like her "Sharing Knife" series (Beguilement, Legacy, and Passage), and can't wait for the last one in the series to come out (Horizon).

I've never read any of her earlier work; can anyone recommend one to get me started?  
Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games