Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Tempy's Charcoal-icious Art {Updated 10/13! See final post!} Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

loontje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:52 am
Your charcoal drawings look quite impressive and realistic. wink I noticed some things about you pen drawing though. Your drawing is a bit angular. The girl's knees and her hand look a bit off, and the guy's chin is too sharp. Pen is a difficult medium that takes a while to get used to, so keep at it (still need to practice a lot more with pen drawings myself). sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:49 pm
I think the Gackt one looks odd because there's no gravity at work. At first, I thought the image needed to be rotated. The lack of implied force comes from the lack of interaction of the hair and the skin of the cheek and hand. The hand won't give as much as the cheek will, so let the cheek indent some as the hand pushes back more than the head pushes. The hair is pressed between the two. Hair in other places will move as gravity pulls it. The weight of the earring will affect the ear. Gravity will change the direction of the earring. Hope that helps.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Temporarily Misplaced

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:19 pm
loontje
Your charcoal drawings look quite impressive and realistic. wink I noticed some things about you pen drawing though. Your drawing is a bit angular. The girl's knees and her hand look a bit off, and the guy's chin is too sharp. Pen is a difficult medium that takes a while to get used to, so keep at it (still need to practice a lot more with pen drawings myself). sweatdrop

Thank you.
:]

Ah, I see what you mean about it's angularness. Wow, it is really off, I can't believe I didn't notice.
Thanks for pointing all that out and for the tips!!
<333

Yes, it is indeed difficult.
^^;

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:23 pm
Errol McGillivray
I think the Gackt one looks odd because there's no gravity at work. At first, I thought the image needed to be rotated. The lack of implied force comes from the lack of interaction of the hair and the skin of the cheek and hand. The hand won't give as much as the cheek will, so let the cheek indent some as the hand pushes back more than the head pushes. The hair is pressed between the two. Hair in other places will move as gravity pulls it. The weight of the earring will affect the ear. Gravity will change the direction of the earring. Hope that helps.

Ohhhh!
That helps a lot!
Thanks so much!
Gravity is a tough nut. I realy need to look out for that.
I thought that the cheek looked odd!
I could pin-point it out, though.
These tips will really help out with future work.
Thanks again!
<33

Temporarily Misplaced

Temporarily Misplaced

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:24 pm
New drawing in progress~~
What do you think of it so far?
:]]

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 pm
Nyah! Critique me, anyone?
The left eye looks all smudgy and odd, I know...
But, there is something about the rest...
I can't figure it out!
D:

User Image

Temporarily Misplaced

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items