Reply The Music Artists Guild
scales

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaio-Leucitius

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:34 pm
What are some good scales to learn, and whats the best way to learn them? I'm self taught on guitar and bass so I'm kind of limited, I can read music to a certain extent (still working on it) and I'm trying not to become to dependant on tablature. I wanna try out different sounds when making music.

So far I have learned the natural scale(?) and most of the harmonic minor scale. What kind of scales do they use in latin rock (like juanes, or the mars volta ont he song L' Via L' Viaquez) what scale(s) does carlos santana use?

I don't really know much right now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry if i made and mistakes typing tihs lol.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:26 pm
Hey dude, we share the same question, I want to learn the sames scales.  

JIJITSU SUKAMARU

kyogoku-san

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:36 pm
The best way to learn scales .... it depends on the instrument but the best ways would have to be to have it written out infront of you (like a beginers book with a diagram or sumthin) and then notw by note, listen with your ear & pratice & before you know it, you'll have it down. Then learn the names, the names of the scales are obber-important. Make flashcards!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:52 pm
well, i play bass and electric guitar so what would you suggest for stringed instruments? i can read music but i'm still trying to memorize the locations of the noteson the fretboard.  

Kaio-Leucitius

ilejak1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:27 pm
Me and my friends do this:

We put the scales in front of us, and if the first note is called mi ( example ), then we sing the mi ( just say mi ) at the same time we play the note. Then you go one as the same. But make it like a song!!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:11 am
Okay, first off... what the heck is a natural scale? x_X

You have a LOT of scales to learn... firstly, all of the major scales (A, Ab, B, Bb, C, D, Db, E, Eb, F, G, Gb) and then each one of those has a melodic and a minor scale. Which you also have to learn. And then there's the pentatonic scales where there's five notes that you use... I have a sheet on it from guitar lessons, I'll find it and put it out there for you later, I guess. Then there's blues and Jazz scales, and THEN you might want to learn what a chromatic scale is. THENNN you're going to want to learn different patterns.

So you have a lot of work to do xD  

x.Marsh[mel]low.x
Captain

Kaio-Leucitius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:31 pm
i know, i just dont know where to start tho >.<  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:15 pm
Well dudes, thanks a lot for the tips!! mrgreen  

JIJITSU SUKAMARU

kyogoku-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:59 pm
welcum! anytime! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 am
x.Marsh[mel]low.x
Okay, first off... what the heck is a natural scale? x_X

You have a LOT of scales to learn... firstly, all of the major scales (A, Ab, B, Bb, C, D, Db, E, Eb, F, G, Gb) and then each one of those has a melodic and a minor scale. Which you also have to learn. And then there's the pentatonic scales where there's five notes that you use... I have a sheet on it from guitar lessons, I'll find it and put it out there for you later, I guess. Then there's blues and Jazz scales, and THEN you might want to learn what a chromatic scale is. THENNN you're going to want to learn different patterns.

So you have a lot of work to do xD

i feel a little odd opposing the guild owner, but i beg to differ on the major scales. i think you just mixed up the sharps and flats. the order is:

A, A# or Bb, B, C, C# or Db, D, D# or Eb, E, F, F# or Gb, G and finally G# or Ab.  

lespaw

4,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200

metal-veined_heart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:28 pm
there is a site on the web thats gives you every scale known.And it gives it in every note, everywhere on the neck..
just google "guitar scales" and it should come up as one of the first ones  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:33 pm
metal-veined_heart
there is a site on the web thats gives you every scale known.And it gives it in every note, everywhere on the neck..
just google "guitar scales" and it should come up as one of the first ones

awsome thanks.  

Kaio-Leucitius

Present Uncertainty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:56 pm
Just a note. You said "Natural scale(?)"
That would be a "C Major Scale"
Uhhh... yeah. That's it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:32 pm
Blues scale:
C,D#,F,F#,G,A,A#,C

If you have a keyboard or piano to hand then play it out on that first, it will help you know what it should sound like.

Hope I have helped.

OXO  

Emperor Jimmu

moosiklady

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:05 am
What most guitarists call a "natural scale" is not C Major (or A minor) but an E Phrygian Scale. Phrygian is a modal scale going back to medievel times and it starts on E and ends on E with no sharps or flats. Guitarists play it to learn where all of the natural notes are.  
The Music Artists Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games