Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ----::::The FISH Tank::::----
Hmm... Big fish jumps, little fish stop disappearing.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PrairieGhost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:47 pm
I have a 30 gallon hex freshwater aquarium, and mostly goldfish. At one point, I tried to have guppies, but they disappeared, and I think I know the culprit. My 3 1/2 inch shubunkin goldfish "Smirk" demonstrated aggressive tendencies towards the other goldfish--chasing them, harassing them, etc. So I figured he'd probably eaten my guppies, despite the fact that he's -supposed- to be herbivorous. Recently we came back from a fishing trip and I had some bait minnows left over so I put them in the tank. As expected, the minnows began disappearing, little by little, until only two were left...
That was when Smirk jumped... I found him on the carpet next to the tank. I won't deny I wasn't exactly heartbroken that he did so--if any of my fish were to jump, I'm glad it was him and not one of my favorites. Funny thing though--he jumped, and the last two surviving minnows that were left are still there. I guess now the "mystery" of the missing guppies is solved, though it will be a while before I try again with them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:40 am
Goldfish aren't herbivorous. sweatdrop  

Metagon

PrairieGhost

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:53 pm
Metagon
Goldfish aren't herbivorous. sweatdrop
That's what I was always told--goldfish will eat the plants in your tank, but not the other fish, and for the most part, that was true. Smirk is the first shubunkin I've had that was that aggressive.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:52 pm
im sorry about that....I had an oscar once, I put in nine feeder goldfish and I knew he would eat them but I left for 2 minutes and came back and he had eaten them ALL, I thought it would be awhile before he ate them all.....what a pig....LOL  

Thanks_For_All_The_Fish

PrairieGhost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:26 pm
thanx4alltehfish
im sorry about that....I had an oscar once, I put in nine feeder goldfish and I knew he would eat them but I left for 2 minutes and came back and he had eaten them ALL, I thought it would be awhile before he ate them all.....what a pig....LOL
lol Hungry fishy... My shubunkin Goku used to eat more fishfood than any fish I'd ever known, but I've never had a truly carnivorous fish.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:13 pm
I tried to oscars before and I actually had one that would leave some fish to swim for awhile. I have had a goldfish that would eat my other fish to though. But I have only had maybe 2 or 3 out of them all that where aggresive. I follow the rule of thumb never put fish together if one of them is small enough to fit in the others mouth.  

Sugar Slave

----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff