Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
What do you think about listening to non-Christian music??? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

is it wrong to listen to non-Christian music???
  yes
  no
View Results

winkipie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:28 pm
Spike Zantren
While lately I've been listening to more Christian rock than my previously favourite Disturbed, Dragonforce, Godsmack and Breaking Benjamin songs, I still like the rhythm and the sound of the music. I still listen to the songs with the exception of stuff like Inside the Fire or Believe where the singer starts talking like I should be worshipping him or he's calling God a lie. Uh uh, not gonna listen to that garbage.

Other times I like thinking about some songs out of context. For instance, I was playing Rock Band 2 on my brother's Xbox360 one day and I decided I'd try Judas Priest's "Painkiller" on expert just to see if I could beat it (I failed horribly the first...fifty times during the intro), and I kind of took the lyrics out of context and related the qualities to Jesus:

Planets devastated
Mankind's on its knees
A saviour comes from out the skies
In answer to their pleas

Recently I just stopped listening to this song because the mere name of the band is a flat-out insult to the Big J.C..

I used to let music influence my thinking. I was a total brat and used to listen to Down With the Sickness' child abuse part where the singer starts cursing out his mother. That was before I started really caring about my life and about God. Now I'm slowly caring less and less about those old songs. Besides, I've found a few awesome Christian Rock bands that are just as good if not better than this stuff. I'll probably end up not caring about the bands anymore and just stop listening to them soon. The best way to not let some music influence you is to just stop listening. Y'know, the whole abstinence thing, except applied to music.

Anyway, I agree with those who said that as long as you don't let the songs influence your life negatively, it shouldn't matter all that much. It's like an R rated movie or an M rated video game: If you're not mature enough to make sure it doesn't influence you, then shouldn't be playing it.

That's just my 2 cents (+tax), but meh.

God bless.

*bravo*
I think out of all these people on the 4th page you put it in to the best words for me to understand thank you!

Not saying that becuase I listen to non-christian music ,but because I never really understood why it was a bad thing listeing to it! All I knew was that I shouldnt listen to the music I used to ..

Like a while back I was thinking about why I shouldnt listen to my old bands and I noticed everytime I listened to slipknot I got REALLY aggressive and I even punched my little sister in the face for scaring me ((which by the way I've never done untill then))! Then I noticed everytime I listened to My Chemical Romance I would draw somthing and all the theme colors were bright red and black. So I guess it does influence what you do in little ways....

Hmmm....Why dont I everthink about these things... stare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 pm
Yeah, I have to agree, it was very well put. 3nodding  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:16 pm
I don't believe there is anyone out there who can truly say that listening to non christian music is a sin (unless they are nuts). I don't always listen to Christian music, and there are some Christian musicians that I wouldn't listen to if they were the only performers on earth. You do need to be careful of what you listen to though. In one respect, I like the WWJD? approach here. Would Jesus really be listening to Nickelback or Snoop Dogg? Is the music that I listen to Biblically healthy for my spiritual growth?  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff