Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Gdfan4's Art!!! [NEED A MENTOR REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLY BADLY!!!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MixxyMoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:17 pm
Hey everyone!!! I'm new here, so I thouht I'd post one of my favorite pics of mine on here to see what ya'll say about it......It's my first guy I've actually completely drawn and colored..... sweatdrop anyways......I'd really appreciate any links to sites or major help with drawning guys and coloring. Those are what I think are my two major weak spots.

The wings are supposed to be colored like that, I did it to get a sorta leathery look....which didn't happen stare xp ....and I know his stomache is a funny color( I grabed the wrong colored pencil when I was trying to touch up the color before I scanned it)....I spent hours trying to get his muscles right...that didn't work either... xd ...other than that, I was really proud of the way it came out.....mostly. sweatdrop ...and I am looking for a mentor..if anyone could help.... xd

User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:02 pm
...ish no one on tonight????????? crying  

MixxyMoo

MixxyMoo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:34 pm
why wont anyone critic my pic???? crying  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:55 am
gdfan4
why wont anyone critic my pic???? crying

It just takes time sometimes. I know I'm rarely on because I feel like... if I'm not working on something or posting something in my own thread, work-wise, I don't come in. =P

Anyway... your pic is good, but it could stand to be more dynamic, for lack of a better word.

Break-down~
--------------

Figure: He looks like he could be relatively attractive, but it's difficult to tell since the picture is kind of small. His face, though, seems to lack feeling, as though he's not really connected to his situation, whatever his current situation may be. His hair could use more definition and some shine, even if it's minimal. I like the muscle definition on his torso and the upper arm on the left. The forearms look a bit off though. The one on the left is too long in comparison to his upper arm, the one on the right is hard to say just because it's partially covered by his cape. His hands seem small; his right hand is too minimalistic considering the detail you've given him and his left just looks awkward in the way he's holding his scythe. His legs look fine from what I can see and I like those boots. =D The wings seem awkward to me, though since he's not moving at all there's really nothing else you could really do with them that would make sense.

Colour and shading: Your colouring looks fine, though a little pale. But that's fine; I know that scanning in pencil colour and expecting it to stay true to what it looks like on paper is a pain in the butt. As for shading, like I mentioned before all this, it needs more than what has been given. With more dynamic shading, more colour and deeper colour for the parts of the picture and the figure that are in shadow.

It's a good pic overall, just needs a bit more for that extra 'oomph' to really bring it to life. =3  

Marissael

beddyteddy2

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:41 pm
agreed... a little emotion (or rather exaggeration wouldn't hurt XD)...would help on his face. And as for wing anatomy... bats make excellent references for dragon wings. 3nodding Overall, he does look like an interesting character. I would take you as a mentee, if I had more time to be on.. (and not a lot of mentees XD) but if you ever need help with anything just ask and I would gladly get back to you on it. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:30 pm
Well, I just have a little tip when coloring blacks with colored pencils. You hafta add different colors to add depth. With simply black, there is nothing that shows three dimensions, color in life is not monochromatic. Then, there's color theory and I dun understand that so... yeah, getting on with it. xD; (Plus, I do notice you have some blue(?) with the red in your wings and that's a good start!)

Colored Pencil tutorial

Good tutorial. :'D Hope it helps~  

KotokoPlum

MixxyMoo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:12 pm
Thank you so much everyone!!! 4laugh Thanks especially fr that tutoral!!  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:22 pm
I really need a mentor....if anyone can help...  

MixxyMoo

MixxyMoo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:28 am
Here's another pic I did....It's line art for my rp character/avatar...........tell me what you think needs to be changed before I color it.....

User Image  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff