Veganism and Vegetarianism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:17 pm
Blackrose Kaire
I've been thinking of becoming a vegetarian,not for moral reasons but for my health.What are all the health benefits of giving up meat?

These are just the things I cn remember off the top of my head, but here are at least a few of the benifits...

Ethics: If you do a little research on factory farms, I doubt that you'll be able to stomach another peice of meat. I actually became vegetarian on the sopt after accidentally stumbling across an article about factory farms. The conditions in factory farms are gruesome, but I won't go into details here...

Ecology: A recent UN report
states that livestock is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. Many now argue that eating less/no meat is the single best thing that you can do to help curb greenhouse gas emissions. Not only are there the fossil fuel emissions linked to raising, transporting, and slaughtering livestock, as well as the flatulance of the animals, but you must also take into account the fact that large amounts of land are being deforested every day to make way for grazing lands for animals, as well as land to grow animal feed on. This deforestation damages ecosystems, and rips out rich forest lands which would create much more oxygen than an equivilant area of croplands could. Also, wste produced by animals can lead to enviromental disaster. I believe that in the early 2000's, animal waste from a factory farm somewhere in the mid-Atlantic states leaked into a nearby river, and completely poisoned that river.

Economy: According to a book I have, written by Princeton Univerity professor Peter Singer, it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of beef. That means that if the US cut its meat intake by 10%, then there would be enough food to supply more than the entire planet with a 2500 calorie diet.

Less Toxicity: A while back I was reading through a study saying that vegetarians and vegans have less pesticide residue in thier bodies. This is because, when an animal eats grains or whatever other plant products they are fed, whatever pesticides are on that food get stored up in the animals cells. When you eat that animal, those stored-up pesticide residues end up being stored in your cells. However, vegetarians/vegans don't get those concentrated amounts of pesticides that are found in meat.

Health: So long as you BALANCE your diet (eat those soybeans!) then you are less likely to suffer from many health problems which stem from diet... type II diabedes, heart disease, high cholesterol, and hypertension. Also, so long as you eat a varied diet, and take a multi-vitamin to cover whatever nutritional 'gaps' you may have missed, then you should be fine.

If you want more info, you can check out the following article. It was what shocked me into giving up meat: http://www.alternet.org/story/12162

And if anyone wants citation on any fact, feel free to ask.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:26 pm
DreamerSpirit
Blackrose Kaire
I've been thinking of becoming a vegetarian,not for moral reasons but for my health.What are all the health benefits of giving up meat?

These are just the things I cn remember off the top of my head, but here are at least a few of the benifits...

Ethics: If you do a little research on factory farms, I doubt that you'll be able to stomach another peice of meat. I actually became vegetarian on the sopt after accidentally stumbling across an article about factory farms. The conditions in factory farms are gruesome, but I won't go into details here...

Ecology: A recent UN report
states that livestock is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. Many now argue that eating less/no meat is the single best thing that you can do to help curb greenhouse gas emissions. Not only are there the fossil fuel emissions linked to raising, transporting, and slaughtering livestock, as well as the flatulance of the animals, but you must also take into account the fact that large amounts of land are being deforested every day to make way for grazing lands for animals, as well as land to grow animal feed on. This deforestation damages ecosystems, and rips out rich forest lands which would create much more oxygen than an equivilant area of croplands could. Also, wste produced by animals can lead to enviromental disaster. I believe that in the early 2000's, animal waste from a factory farm somewhere in the mid-Atlantic states leaked into a nearby river, and completely poisoned that river.

Economy: According to a book I have, written by Princeton Univerity professor Peter Singer, it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of beef. That means that if the US cut its meat intake by 10%, then there would be enough food to supply more than the entire planet with a 2500 calorie diet.

Less Toxicity: A while back I was reading through a study saying that vegetarians and vegans have less pesticide residue in thier bodies. This is because, when an animal eats grains or whatever other plant products they are fed, whatever pesticides are on that food get stored up in the animals cells. When you eat that animal, those stored-up pesticide residues end up being stored in your cells. However, vegetarians/vegans don't get those concentrated amounts of pesticides that are found in meat.

Health: So long as you BALANCE your diet (eat those soybeans!) then you are less likely to suffer from many health problems which stem from diet... type II diabedes, heart disease, high cholesterol, and hypertension. Also, so long as you eat a varied diet, and take a multi-vitamin to cover whatever nutritional 'gaps' you may have missed, then you should be fine.

If you want more info, you can check out the following article. It was what shocked me into giving up meat: http://www.alternet.org/story/12162

And if anyone wants citation on any fact, feel free to ask.
Thanks,that helped  

Awesome Akwardness

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:16 pm
Blackrose Kaire
DreamerSpirit
Blackrose Kaire

...Long list of stuff..
Thanks,that helped

I barely answered the health issues question.

I suppose that my off-topic ramblings are what I get for posting when I'm half-asleep...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:16 am
DreamerSpirit
Blackrose Kaire
DreamerSpirit
Blackrose Kaire

...Long list of stuff..
Thanks,that helped

I barely answered the health issues question.

I suppose that my off-topic ramblings are what I get for posting when I'm half-asleep...
Well I enjoyed reading about the other stuff anyway. ^^  

Awesome Akwardness

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 pm
Been a vegetarian since 1992. cool  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:58 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
Been a vegetarian since 1992. cool
Good job,I don't think I could stick to anything for that long. sweatdrop  

Awesome Akwardness

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:52 pm
@Sinister: Nice job smile

As for me, I doubt I could fully go vegetarian, let alone vegan. Recently, I've been eating more plant products and fewer animal products, but that's about it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:59 am
I am vegetarian but I partly disagree with it and partly agree.I disagree because meat gives you a lot of protien and you don't eat it it's like getting a lot of gold to save your guild or something and just cause you can feel the animal being killed you can't hear a plant scream so how do you know if your hurting it just cause you can't hear it?I agree because god gave us animals as something but not as food.You know you would'nt like it to be killedn and animals eat you.Now would you?I know that if it were the end of the world I would change my ways to survive and probably eat another human.But that idea is waaaaayy off of what I got in my head now.  

Strawberry Bunny Magician

Icafi

1,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:16 am
I am a vegan. I got into veganism since I was 7 or so and everyone wanted me to eat meat... I just couldn't stand it.
Didn't eat meat at all smile
I just can't eat a mutilated corpse lying on my plate thinking how has it suffered when they were killing it.... sad
Too sad...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:35 pm
mgirl6670
I am vegetarian but I partly disagree with it and partly agree.I disagree because meat gives you a lot of protien and you don't eat it it's like getting a lot of gold to save your guild or something and just cause you can feel the animal being killed you can't hear a plant scream so how do you know if your hurting it just cause you can't hear it?I agree because god gave us animals as something but not as food.You know you would'nt like it to be killedn and animals eat you.Now would you?I know that if it were the end of the world I would change my ways to survive and probably eat another human.But that idea is waaaaayy off of what I got in my head now.

Meat is far from the only source of protein, and that ridiculous argument was debunked years ago. I have no idea what the hell you're talking about as far as the gold thing.

Plants don't feel pain. That is a scientific fact. They do not possess any sort of nervous system which would enable such a thing.  

This Old Oscillator

Wilixer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:11 pm
I have been a happy vegetarian for a little over 2 years now =]
I did it because I no longer wanted to support an industry that makes it's money off the suffering of the poor farm animals who can't defend themselves against the horrible cruelty they have to endure on factory farms. It's just disgusting.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:44 am
Wilixer
I did it because I no longer wanted to support an industry that makes it's money off the suffering of the poor farm animals who can't defend themselves against the horrible cruelty they have to endure on factory farms. It's just disgusting.

If you consume dairy products, you're still supporting that industry.  

This Old Oscillator

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:29 pm
This Old Oscillator
Wilixer

If you consume dairy products, you're still supporting that industry.

And personally speaking, were I a cow, I'd rather be fattened and slaughtered than stand around idly with a cold machine sucking milk from my utter.

Not that I'm one to speak. I'm neither a vegan nor a vegetarian. I like meat and dairy too much, selfish as it is. Nor that I'm a "I need meat and cheese at every meal!" kind of guy.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:47 pm
I just love vegitarians! heart
xD
I wish I could be one, but I just can't stop eating meat. as an omnivore, i crave it daily. I feel like a monster now, but it is only my human instinct, or perhaos just what I have learned.
I am, however, a strong supporter of animal rights, anti-fur, anti-testing, and I often protest with all the awesome people when a circus comes to town.  

SADERR

Nik Ballion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:54 am
I LOVE vegetarian food. not VEGAN food, I cant eat only beans >> (you know what Im thinking about).

no-meat but things from animals like eggs, milk and cheese, Im for that. I doubt thats called anything like vegetarianism but I think its macrobiotics food. when you eat animal products, chickens and fish. other meat, never. its disgusting for me and Im not "ou nou poor cows!" rip them off I need a pair of new boots. my body just doesent need that meat any more and plus all of that, I really dont like that meat. I kinda feel sick after it and my head hurts like hell. plus the mood swings (yes its like that hole my life).

BUT soya and tofu are great. Its the best food evah. but it takes too long for me to make a tofu sandwich or a soya burger. you still cant buy them when you go out or in the stores (yes I live in a Shithole) so you need to make them at home. and it takes like double the time while you can easily make fish'n'chips or chicken filee with some vegetables.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff