Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Running

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wow
  The OP really rambles.
View Results

AmeliaAmara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:24 am
Hi! This is, like the topic says, about running. It's for questions, comments and/or suggestions having to do with running.
The reason why I'm posting this, and typing this out so wonderfully, is to basically get everyones ideas on this. I'm going to start today (hopefully) because I know that I'm not getting anywhere near enough exercise. I'm also going to be attempting to do some pretty basic leg exercises (like leg curls and lifts) as well as crunches and some arm work.
So! Have any of you used running to loose weight? What's the best approach to getting started, and what do you find helps you the most when running?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:29 pm
I like running.
I've heard that its more effective for weight loss if you do intervals

ex. get you heart rate going with 1:00 running
then walk for a few
because your heart rate will still be high?

I'm not sure, and I suck at explaining things

maybe someone else could? sweatdrop  

spiitze

dangerousfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:39 pm
I never know what people mean when they say "running". Do they mean more cross-country jogging or just sprinting? I think a lot of people think the only way to run is to go fast and full out. So, I guess I run, jog whatever. I walk down hills with any great incline because running downhill is bad knee mechanics (uphill = good), ouch. I don't go great distances, 1-3 miles, and I go sloooooow. If I don't do the slow and controlled run my knees will start dying. I have officially failed the knee test, at my doctor's office, so I really have to watch how I run, I can't just bust out legs. My roommate will pump up the treadmill and run flat out for 10 minutes but for fat loss it is much better to go slower for 45 minutes. Moderately intense with short bursts of intense is probably the best you can do. Run [walk/jog] run run sprint (30 seconds) run run run sprint (30 seconds).

As for starting, make a goal of a half mile, to start. In high school, I lost a bunch of weight because each morning, in gym, we would run around the track once (1/4 mile) or twice (1/2 mile). Small starts.

When I run I totally let my mind wander and relax, I think about things and write stories in my head. Good times. At the same time, thinking about form. toe heel toe heel toe heel, arms up, pump pump pump, abs held in (not sucking). Thinking about my body moving really helps me keep good form and also makes me feel healthy.

Good luck with your program!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:00 pm
Nimmie
I like running.
I've heard that its more effective for weight loss if you do intervals

ex. get you heart rate going with 1:00 running
then walk for a few
because your heart rate will still be high?

I'm not sure, and I suck at explaining things

maybe someone else could? sweatdrop

Yup! 30 - 60 second intervals are fantastic for fat loss and health. Moderately intense as the pace and then throw in an intense burst.

During intense exercise your body jumps from aerobic to anaerobic respiration. In aerobic our body uses oxygen to fuel the body, we breath heavier to bring more oxygen to our hardworking muscles with the heart pumping faster to deliver the oxygen. At heavy intensity our muscles don't have enough oxygen for the necessary performance level. The energy in anaerobic is stored sugar (glycogen) and the by product of anaerobic respiration is lactic acid. LA is what gives your muscles the ouchy burny feeling after working out. So lactic acid in the muscles sucks and makes you not want to work out because ow. Intervals give you the benefit of raising your heart rate and then recovering (where you see gains) without the major downside of anaerobic exercise. Obviously we always perform some anaerobic respiration at exercise or we wouldn't ever have muscle fatigue.

And that made no sense! Ahah! It's been so many years since AP Biology. But anyway, it's a slight down and dirty of aerobic and anaerobic meaning intervals are a good thing that boosts your body and fat loss.  

dangerousfish

AmeliaAmara

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:42 pm
I took everyone's advice and attempted running yesterday. I did fine until my calves got extremely tight. I know that was my fault because I didn't stretch before *le tear* but when I started running a different way (attempting to land more on my toes than heel), the pain went away and I managed to finish 1/3 a mile. No however, my entire right leg is swollen and it won't go down. It only hurts when I place all of my weight on it. Is there a better way to run or certain stretches that I can do that will decrease the painful tension in my calves? I've tried the basic calf stretch (where you balance on the edge of something and lean back) but what are some other good ones. I might need to do that before I go anywhere. Walking for long periods of time also causes the same problem.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games