Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A dictionary proposal?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SonarP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:54 pm
If it's not too much, do you think we could have a dictionary of different sorts? Maybe for spirits, paths....perhaps? Just thought I'd share an idea.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:53 pm
i actually think that is a great idea, but it might be easier to have the dictionary set up as a subforum...anyways, my friend put one together years ago, and it might work as a starter if i can get my hands on a copy of it....  

Shorti Rock

80s_Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:29 am
that's a grand idea. great thinking! wink  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:23 am
What would be the standards for what got into the dictionary and how would the appeals process work to take out inaccurate information?  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 am
Deoridhe
What would be the standards for what got into the dictionary and how would the appeals process work to take out inaccurate information?
My offering:

Setup:
  • A subforum would be created, with an Announcement thread for the procedure/rules of entry.
  • A Sticky would be created with the current reference status (current accepted entries and their associated data in separate posts), modifiable only by Guild staff.

Standards:
  • Proposals: For each new entry, a new thread will be created by the person suggesting the entry, with sufficient data as outlined below.
  • Support: All entries must be backed with a source, unless the term is endemic to the PFRC or the forums.
  • Terminology: Entries with only one source may only use the terminology from that source; entries utilizing multiple sources can attempt to composite the information into a coherent mass.

Challenges:
  • Challenges to Sources: Sources may be challenged on their merits.
  • Challenges to Wording: If an entry utilizes information from multiple sources, the composition of that information may be challenged on grounds of accuracy, readability, and utility.

Procedure:
  • Dead-Source Clause:If a proposed entry's entire corpus of sources has been successfully challenged, leaving the entry with no utilizable sources, the entry is considered effectively "dead" until such time as a new utilizable source is found.
  • Acceptance:If no challenges are outstanding on an entry for a determined amount of time, and Guild staff (or other appointed quorum) agrees by majority that the entry stands worthy of acceptance into the PFRC reference, the entry shall be added with its most current living sources and accepted terminology to the primary reference thread; the proposal thread will then be locked.
  • Right of Refusal: The Guild staff (or other appointed quorum) reserves the right to refuse to accept any entry for lack of utility or other merit to the Guild reference. Upon such an event, the proposal thread will be locked.
  • Ex Post Facto Challenges: Any challenges to accepted reference entries shall be addressed to an appointed member, or group of members, of the Guild staff (or other appointed quorum).
  • Appeal of Refusal:Any appeal of refusal shall be addressed to an appointed member, or group of members, of the Guild staff (or other appointed quorum).

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:46 pm
sounds fair enough to me....  

Shorti Rock

SonarP

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:12 am
o.o Wow...I didn't think my idea would actually be a good thing. Nothing good comes from fluffs who are still learning anything, anyway...
I don't know what I can give, but anything I find, I'll throw up and see what's good and what isn't.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:52 am
SonarP
o.o Wow...I didn't think my idea would actually be a good thing. Nothing good comes from fluffs who are still learning anything, anyway...
I don't know what I can give, but anything I find, I'll throw up and see what's good and what isn't.
Well, I can't say that I could really see how a well-regulated common reference could do anything but benefit the guild as a whole. Then again, vocal b*****d though I may be, I'm not staff and the inimitable Nuri still has final say, my bureaucratic tendencies notwithstanding.  

Henry Dorsett Case

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:08 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
SonarP
Well, I can't say that I could really see how a well-regulated common reference could do anything but benefit the guild as a whole. Then again, vocal b*****d though I may be, I'm not staff and the inimitable Nuri still has final say, my bureaucratic tendencies notwithstanding.

Personally, I'm not going to take on any new projects until AFTER the wedding. I have no problem with the talk at this point. And I like the idea.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:16 pm
Nuri
Personally, I'm not going to take on any new projects until AFTER the wedding.
Fair enough.

Quote:
I have no problem with the talk at this point.
On which note I'll ask if anyone has any other ideas to add, or quibbles with my concept. Natural bureaucrat though I may be, I'm smart enough to know that few plans conceived by one person are ever refined enough for application.

Quote:
And I like the idea.
Well, if you would like me to act as an unofficial bureaucrat on the finished product, I'd be honored.  

Henry Dorsett Case

Crowley Vance

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:39 am
That's going to be a big dictionary. eek  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:23 pm
I like this idea as well. I do belive it has been mentioned before in some respect but was never really acted on. Granted, it is a rather large project and I don't think anyone went so far as to work out a plan for its execution.

From what I have read, the setup offered seems to work rather well. Although, we may need to define the status of proposals following their acceptance. I'm not sure if you want to leave them open for later appeal if necessary or if they should be locked following acceptance and an appeal/edit for the definition should be set up in a separate thread. I'm actually leaning towards the first option. In order to prevent confusion the title could be edited to reflect the status of the definition and a crew note left on the first post or last depending on preference. Other than that, nothing is really jumping out at me. I'm sure something will probably come up as we work with the idea, because things always do, but they can be solved readily enough.

I'm willing to help out however I can on this if the guild eventually decides to move forward on the idea. I'm also toying with a few ideas/improvements of my own that I would like to see made eventually. On that note, if anyone knows of anyone particularly skilled with images, banner making and such, could you please send me a PM? I'm attempting to look into a few things.  

RubyAshes
Crew

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:21 am
I want to do this idea. HDC And Sonar, would you like to head up this project? I'll just have you run things by me.

/supposed to be moving  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff