Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Shopping T_T

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emarii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:40 pm
I went shopping today, and I was in between the size 10 and 12 in the Gap, so dissapointed, I went to Urban Outfitters. Turns out they don't stock anything over 31" (Size 12). And I could barely squeeze into that, no, wait, I COULDN'T GET IT PAST MY KNEE'S. I had to leave. sad

I felt so fat. I'm not even that big either! I just take a larger than average pant size, which is really annoying because all my friends are 0-8's. Why can't I just fit into the pretty, cheap jeans. ;_;...I'm not good enough for the market's standards, it seems. All my friends could've bought jeans there, and when I came out of the changeroom they were like "That's terrible! Oh, there must be some here somewhere!" And the saleslady told me earlier they only stock up to 31" so I said no, no there isn't. And argh it makes me so limited in my fashion choices.

Has anyone else here gone into a seemingly normal store and not been able to find anything their size? emo  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:24 am
I have been there too, and I know how you feel. It's even worse if you're 100 pounds overweight (which I used to be) and trying to find exercise gear. There are places to get it, but they're very rare. I get all of mine from http://www.ladiesonlysports.com which has a section of plus sized exercise gear. Not only do they go up to size Large, they go up to XL, 2XL, 3XL... some of their stuff goes all the way up to size 8XL! ANYONE can wear these things. They're great. Especially the Enell sports bra. Oprah uses that one, and if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me.

Honestly, though, I do know how embarrassing it can be. It's because we think "I'm too fat to shop in normal stores." What we should be thinking is, "Over 60% of people in the US and Canada are my size. 'Normal' sizes ARE my size, so if this store doesn't have them, they're losing what should be more than half of their money in sales to people my size." Then, armed with the knowledge that we are the majority, walk up to the store manager and say, "You know, this store is only catering to 40% of the population, and could be making a lot more money if it stocked larger sizes. When do you think you'll have size 16 available?" Don't make it seem like it's a failing on your part, that they don't have your size. It's their failure, not yours.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Emarii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:00 pm
Divash
It's their failure, not yours.

Aw thankyou...that's really reassuring. emo I didn't know it was that much!!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:04 am
The fact that I can't look good in some clothing only motivates me to keep going and to work harder. You're not alone. I've had many days where I feel I'm too fat because there's so many pretty things to wear that even though it says my size, it wont look nice and all that...so I vent it during cardio thinking "I can and WILL make myself fit into that clothing!" Let's see...the last time I vented on cardio I ended up burning like...800 calories? XD.  

Volta

LadyImpish

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:48 pm
I used to have to buy a lot of my clothing at www.torrid.com, though it was very expensive.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:00 pm
LadyImpish
I used to have to buy a lot of my clothing at www.torrid.com, though it was very expensive.

I love http://www.torrid.com, though I always have to find shirts to go under the shirts from Torrid because the Torrid shirts show far more of me than I want to share with the world. I'm also fond of http://www.lanebryant.com and http://www.shukronline.com -- Lane Bryant for the shirts and Shukr for the skirts and scarves. For workout gear, you can't beat http://www.ladiesonlysports.com which has sizes from 00 to 4XL in most of their plus-size things, and up to 8XL in some of their things. I've got friends for whom that is a real concern, and they can all shop there.

Oh, and for specific advice: Their Enell Sports Bra at Ladies Only Sports is INCREDIBLE. Oprah uses it, and so does Drew Barrymore, and so do I. All of these things should indicate just how much support they offer. They're amazing.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

StilettoReject

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:05 pm
Shopping online = heart

I felt really bad because I went shopping with my one friend who's pretty plus sized and she wanted a belt.. but she's a 3xl when it comes to belts, and they didn't stock anything over xl.. which sucks, because they have a pretty big plus size section, but that section didn't have separate belts neutral I thought that was really lame. If you're going to accomodate a certain size, you need to accomodate for all merchandise that is found all over the rest of the store for every other size neutral You can't just sell plus size jeans and shirts.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games