Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Emmy's Sketchbook :3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

emmkitt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:45 am
Welcome to the sketchbook of emmkitt!
In here I will be posting my latest works for possibly some critique from you pretty people. I would like it very much if you would help me out by posting what you think of my pictures and if you see many mistakes, possibly a drawover. I would be very greatful. I'm trying very hard to work on my art although I don't get access to a lot of the decent stuff atschool yet cause I'm only fourteen and still in second year...>.>
First off, I know I have problems with:
*anatomy
*CGing
*Decent poses
*Inspiration
*Head and eye sizes
But I'm trying my best to get past these things.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:52 am
Recent Works

This picture took me about a week to finish, mostly because I am lazy and have been procrastination a lot. I've since then noticed that this picture is quite squint and my anatomy and colours are slightly off. I guess those are just mistakes that I'm going to have to live with, there's no way I'm redoing it! ^_^
Here it is:
[x]

emmkitt

Wispered

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:34 am
Since the piece is finished, I'm going to give some things to remember for the future, aye?
If you don't do it already, do life drawings. Draw things and people you see, fill a page at least once a week, one of the best ways to learn anatomy, proportions, and often colour and lighting.
Lineweight. If you're going to keep your lines in the piece, make them interesting. Vary them and such. Some should be thick, some thin. emx2a has a link to a rather good looking tutorial on line work, I'm sure she'd lead you to it if you asked.
Kudos go to you for the interesting pose and using 2 folk. I always shy away from more than one person. -_-  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:20 pm
Thanks so much, I have noted all the things you've said.
What do you mean by "Drawing from life?", I'm a bit confused...
<3

emmkitt

APS-tan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:42 pm
she means like, sitting down with a sketchbook/peice of paper or whatever and drawing real people from observation, it really helps, and so does knowing your anatomy and good proportions.
for example, a male's sholders are at least 2 heads wide [up to three], but right here, his sholders are about 1.5 heads wide.
so yes, proportions would be a good thing for you to study =]
and yes i do have a good link to a tutorial for lineweight! it's from the DA, and the person who made it actually has a published manga =O
here it is =D
i think that the best thing to keep in mind when lineweighting is that a little bit goes a long way.
like eejbeej said, kudos for the pose and drawing two people in one picture.
hope that helped, keep drawing :3  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:01 am
Thanks a lot Emx2a the things you said were really helpful and I'm going to take a look at that tutorial.
Do you mean just sitting around outside drawing random people? I might get funny looks xD

emmkitt

APS-tan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:18 am
well i guess you could do that,
but you could just pull aside a brother, sister, parent, friend, or whatever and ask if you can draw them =]

you can do it like this [gesture drawing]:
ask them to strike a pose
then try to get the basic shapes of the pose down in 30 seconds
do the 30 second stints [different poses each] 3 or so times
then you can go into 1 min drawings
and then 5 min drawings
and 10, 20, 30 etc etc.
the more time you give yoruself, the more detailed you can make it =]
and don't take time to erase, draw a few lines for one line, becuase one of the lines is bound to be right XD
and remember to draw using your whole arm, not just your wrist.
oh yes! and the three most important angles are the sholders, hips, and knees [or the lines from one sholder to another, one hip to the other and one knee to the other]
and you don't have to get into the 20 and 30 min stuff unless you and your model want to XD
that is what i've learned from my gesture drawing i do after school
hope that helps =D  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:59 am
Also, in places like parks, zoos and stuff you can do gesture drawings without asking because folk won't notice. AND since they're on the move it forces you to go fast.
For much longer poses with a lot of detail use reference photos, a good friend who doesn't mind, or yourself in the mirror.  

Wispered

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff