Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Excercise Routine

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Good luck with your weight loss endeavors!
View Results

duhhh leahhh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:13 am
I need help figuring out a balanced excercise routine. The only thing is, is that I cant afford any equipment or videos or classes or gym memberships right now. I do have 2 3 lb weights, an excercise ball, and a tredmill.
Right now I am walking/jogging on the treadmill for about 45 mins- 1 hr everyday for cardio. But, I would more muscle tone as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks heart heart  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:10 pm
If you want to build up muscle bulk, you should use larger weights, a wide range of motion, and fewer reps. For instance, if you wanted to get bigger shoulder muscles, you'd take two empty milk jugs, fill them with water or sand, and lift each one from your side to your shoulder-height (to the side, or to the front, with either straight or bent arms) -- about ten times per set, for three sets, with a one-minute rest between sets.

If you want to slim down your bulk, you should use smaller weights, a narrow range of motion, and more reps. For instance, if you want to slim down your legs, you might take a one-pound bag of beans or rice, tie it around your ankles, and do very small leg lifts of about one to two inches per lift -- about three sets of fifty, say.

Remember it this way: for big muscles, use big weights in big motions. For small muscles, use small weights in small motions.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:07 am
Is there a community college near you? Well, I just discovered something really, really awesome! I'm pretty sure this is the way it works at most colleges: I'm not sure how old you are, but all classes are free for high school students. And most of those colleges have P.E. classes, many of which include weight training classes! I'm gonna sign up for one as soon as summer registrations are open. I suppose it would cost gas money to get there every day... but hey, if it's close enough, you could just get some extra excersize and walk. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:12 pm
duhhh leahhh
I need help figuring out a balanced excercise routine. The only thing is, is that I cant afford any equipment or videos or classes or gym memberships right now. I do have 2 3 lb weights, an excercise ball, and a tredmill.
Right now I am walking/jogging on the treadmill for about 45 mins- 1 hr everyday for cardio. But, I would more muscle tone as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks heart heart

Here is my post about weight lifting. In the first post there are some links to places you can find different weight lifting exercises. Even though the weight will be too light doing the exercises will do something, just not a lot. In order to see big results you need to challenge the muscle to make it grow and give you the firm results. But! Fortunately you have a great set of weights right on you, your own body weight. Doing squats, chin ups, and pushups are GREAT exercises. Squats will transform your butt and legs and all you need is your own self and proper form (VERY important), when we squat we want to protect our knees so our knees should never extend past our toes. Ouch! Use a mirror and a chair to help you start out. A basic squat is just pretending to sit in a chair. Feet slightly wider than shoulder width, stick your butt out, keep your knees in line with your toes, and pretend to sit. Your butt and thigh muscles will tightened as you slowly lower yourself, your abs are supporting the movement, too! If you scoll down here there is a whole series on starting to squat.

Pushups can be hard when you first start off but there are many ways to modify them. Do pushups against a wall or a counter. Do them on the floor but instead of going into plank position rest your weight on your knees. Work your way up to full pushups

Tricep dips. Using the edge of a chair place your palms on the edge, fingers out and slowly lower your weight and then slowly back up. This is targeting the back of your upper arm, an area I think most of us what to work on. Dips show me more results than any weight lifting so that rocks. You can put your legs closer to your body to help your arms, your feet don't have to be crossed.

The great thing about using your own body weight is that the exercises are using multiple muscles in a dynamic fashion.

Exercise/stability/swiss balls make great chairs, watch tv in one or sit at your computer (if it is tall enough). You're working your core muscles as you sit. Bouncing on a stability ball also working your body with just small movements. You can do crunches and pushups on stability balls for an added boost. Do small things like hold the ball out in front of you while you're sitting, legs straight out - twist from side to side, bring the ball to either side. Lay down and hold the ball between your feet. lift your lower body and the ball.

Keep up your cardio and I hope this helps for building some sexy muscles. Free weights aren't actually that expensive and if you figure out how heavy you need (usually starting out with three different amount of weight) you could get some for your birthday, maybe.

: )  

dangerousfish

duhhh leahhh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:28 pm
dangerousfish

Here is my post about weight lifting. In the first post there are some links to places you can find different weight lifting exercises. Even though the weight will be too light doing the exercises will do something, just not a lot. In order to see big results you need to challenge the muscle to make it grow and give you the firm results. But! Fortunately you have a great set of weights right on you, your own body weight. Doing squats, chin ups, and pushups are GREAT exercises. Squats will transform your butt and legs and all you need is your own self and proper form (VERY important), when we squat we want to protect our knees so our knees should never extend past our toes. Ouch! Use a mirror and a chair to help you start out. A basic squat is just pretending to sit in a chair. Feet slightly wider than shoulder width, stick your butt out, keep your knees in line with your toes, and pretend to sit. Your butt and thigh muscles will tightened as you slowly lower yourself, your abs are supporting the movement, too! If you scoll down here there is a whole series on starting to squat.

Pushups can be hard when you first start off but there are many ways to modify them. Do pushups against a wall or a counter. Do them on the floor but instead of going into plank position rest your weight on your knees. Work your way up to full pushups

Tricep dips. Using the edge of a chair place your palms on the edge, fingers out and slowly lower your weight and then slowly back up. This is targeting the back of your upper arm, an area I think most of us what to work on. Dips show me more results than any weight lifting so that rocks. You can put your legs closer to your body to help your arms, your feet don't have to be crossed.

The great thing about using your own body weight is that the exercises are using multiple muscles in a dynamic fashion.

Exercise/stability/swiss balls make great chairs, watch tv in one or sit at your computer (if it is tall enough). You're working your core muscles as you sit. Bouncing on a stability ball also working your body with just small movements. You can do crunches and pushups on stability balls for an added boost. Do small things like hold the ball out in front of you while you're sitting, legs straight out - twist from side to side, bring the ball to either side. Lay down and hold the ball between your feet. lift your lower body and the ball.

Keep up your cardio and I hope this helps for building some sexy muscles. Free weights aren't actually that expensive and if you figure out how heavy you need (usually starting out with three different amount of weight) you could get some for your birthday, maybe.

: )

Nice postt! Sorry I couldnt respond earlier, but its definitley hlped me out alot.

I think this is going to be my routine:

4-6 days a week cardio on the treadmill

Every other day, muscle strengthing (is that the right term?..im sucha newbie.):
Arms-
2 sets of 20 pushups
4 sets of 5 tricep dips
2 sets of 15 weight lift things per arm (dunno the name of this either) with 5 lb weights
3 sets of 10 tricep entenxsions per arm, also with 5 lbs

Core-
2 sets of 20 crunches
3 sets of 10 ab pull (this is a pilates move i got out of a magazine, i dont think this is its techincal name either)

Leg/butt-
3 sets of 15 squats
(i dont want to do too many things here because Im going to be running alot and my legs are already my naturally biggest part)

So, what do you think?
Also, could you reccomend anything else for my abs/core?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:05 pm
Try just going outside, and playing whatever you loved to do in your backyard. Or go take a sibling/cousin/kid to the park, and play tag. Try just doing what you love to do. Shooting hoops, whatever, as long as its active.  

spiitze

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games