Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
<-[Yuki's Colouring Book]->[Updated 8/18--Picture Dump! <3] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crayons?
  Yummy. <3
View Results

Yukiko Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:45 pm
||-{The waitress is practicing politics, while the businessmen slowly get stoned...}-||

If you mean the contrasting shadows [blue, turquoise, etc]--I've tried doing that on clothing and whatnot before, but it's much more difficult than on skin.
Skin will [almost] always be a rather consistant tone--some version of beige, peach, or brown, or a combination thereof.
...Which is easily contrasted with some shade of blue, since the skin will usually have some tone of orange in it.
Now.
It gets more complicated when you have something like...blue pants, or purple shoes.
Because their contrasting colours are actually hot tones [such as yellow or orange], it does not look like a shadow--rather, it looks like a light, in a place that should be dark. That, or it looks like part of the fabric pattern.
I tried to do something similiar on the pirates picture, and failed, unfortunately.

But, I do get what you mean. ^^
Thank you. :3

||-{...They're all drinking from a cup they call 'Loneliness', but it's better than drinking alone.}-||

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:16 am
Hmm...I'll try to help you here. Perhaps you already know what I'm about to say...but...here goes.

The thing with shadows is not only do they contrast, but they also become duller...and colors become duller, when you mix them with their contrast colors. When you mix a little red with green, you get a dull green. So...perhaps that is all the contrast you need. Looking around my room, I don't really see any reds or oranges or yellows in the shadows of blue cloth, but I do notice that it becomes duller.
Also, I haven't taken any classes on colors and whatnot, but I think that the colors of shadows also depend on the colors of the light, since part of the shadows, at least for shadow cores, depends on the reflection of light. That being said, wouldn't the shadows then have the same color throughout the piece? I mention this, because in piece K r e e mentioned, the color of your shadows changes...And also, going by what I just said, if the shadows on the skin are blue, then the shadows on the clothes should be blue too. If the clothes are blue, then...the shadows don't have color. You can just add the contrast and interest through the highlights then, which are just as important.
I suppose, if you feel you need even more contrast, you could add a second light source, in an interesting color.

I hope I helped you...I feel as though I was just rambling. x__x;;

One more thing. Do you add highlights to everything you add shadows too? I feel like your shadows are emphasized more in your skin, but if you add more highlights as well, and they can be colorful too, it really makes a difference.
If you already do, ignore me. Ahaha. I can't really tell if some colors are your base or highlights.  

Arachnist

Yukiko Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:50 pm
||-{The waitress is practicing politics, while the businessmen slowly get stoned...}-||

Thank you very much, Arachnist. <3
I thought a lot about what you said, and have done some experimenting with the contrast colours on clothing in my most recent work.
I've found that I can actually use the same colour for all the surfaces, and it usually turns out looking alright. n__n

And yes, I do use highlights--but I guess if you have to ask, I'm not doing enough. xD;;

The next post will contain my most recent pieces, including some using my own line-art. x3;;

||-{...They're all drinking from a cup they call 'Loneliness', but it's better than drinking alone.}-||

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Warning:: The Following Post is Image-heavy.

In order of Oldest to Newest.

User Image

Lines & Colour by me.

User Image

Lines & Colour by me.

User Image

Lines & Colour by me.

User Image

Lines by Zeldyn.

User Image

Lines by Moottza.

User Image

Lines by Zoenna.

Yukiko Gemini

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces