Rate?
  1-3
  4-6
  7-8
  9-10
View Results

A Bad Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:16 pm
Okay, I will start with what I need help with I guess. Basically, I have no clue how to use graphics programs to their full potential. I am wondering if there is any one around here who is good working with such programs to edit some of my art and add color to them and all that. Anyone?...

Alrighty then, and here is my work. Constructive criticism is welcome, just don't go overboard to the point of insult.
This is my attempt at drawing my dream avi.
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:19 am
I can't consider myself an expert on graphics programs, but I used to use the GIMP for all of my graphic needs. Assuming that you have Windows, you can download it here. Be sure to download and install the runtime environment first. Play around with the tools, experimenting will help you get used to the program and improve your skills.

Typical users of graphic programs either do the entire product, sketch to final result, on the computer, do their sketch on paper and finish the rest digitally, do their sketch and lineart on paper and then color and finish digitally, or ink and color on paper and do the rest digitally. It's your decision as to what you choose to do. I barely do art anymore, but I find that a traditional sketch and a digital finish works best for me.

As for your drawing, it's really not all that bad. You definitely put effort into it and it shows. There are some things that can be adjusted, though. The hat on the character's head was drawn so that I didn't really know what shape the hat was supposed to be until I saw your dream avi in your sig. It's hard to pull off, but try to think of the hat in 3D and how it would look from that angle. Based on your shading, the hat seems to have a really weird-shaped brim and not stick up like it's supposed to. I can't exactly tell you how to fix it, but keep working with it until the result looks better. Practice is valuable.

Moving on down, you've done the face really well. The proportions make sense and the expression is realistic. The hair is drawn well but seems to lack shadows on it. White/gray hair can be a real pain to shade but it needs to be done anyways. The clothes look pretty spiffy, you've got the gist of where the folds go, which is something I'm still trying to figure out in my own drawings. The sword seems to be a sort of afterthought on the drawing and could use some shading on it.

The book is held in a pretty awkward position that probably couldn't be done unless the character had a third arm growing out of his stomach. Neither of the arms seem up to the task of holding the book like that because they're both at his sides. The hand is well-drawn, but I think you forgot to shade his fingerless glove. The inside of his sleeve lacks shading too, unless it's supposed to be white.

As for the shading overall, it seems to be sort of flat. I remember in art class a couple of years ago, I was assigned to do a value scale or whatever it's called. I had to take up part of a page of my sketchbook doing a scale of 10 shades of pencil from darkest to lightest. It would be good to try this and use a variety of shades of gray in your drawing rather than sticking to one shade for a whole area. Think about the shadows, highlights, textures, and everything else in your drawing and try to get that all in there. It's a big task, but you can do it. Practice, practice, practice. 3nodding  

laila-flight

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:03 am
The arm looks like it's going through the book, so it's kind of awkward. Have the arm go completely under the book; it's drawn in a good position, just slightly misplaced. 3nodding

Also, work on the perspective of your hat, it looks flat and misshapen.

The rest is fine; I like the way you drew your katana. 3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:33 pm
cool its really good better than mine blaugh  

the green ace of clubs

4,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Serhys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:18 pm
Nice work, I also use gimp, and also corel painter...but that you have to buy... blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:29 pm
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3nodding  

Master Princess 100

4,950 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Citizen 200

xxliquid_rainbowxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:37 pm
it looks great, accept for that the arm looks like it's going through the book.  
Art Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games