Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
These things called sketches [updated on 5/11/07] More tips?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ummm...
  <3 . . . I guess!
View Results

helloxcthulhu

O.G. Bloodsucker

8,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:38 am

Please help me, I need to improve!

Any help would be great
Please note I have gotten a little better since I drew these because these are really old.
So, if you have any critiques it would be great.

If I sound a little mean when I reply to your post, don't take it personally I have anger management problems, I'm very competitive (meaning I set my standards too high and I expect to be better than people that are 10 times older than me redface ) and I don't take criticism well but I DO listen so it is really appreciated.

Most recent
I made this one for my friend's role playing forum.
User Image

Chibis
--- Click!---

Full-body
--- Click!---

Half-body
--- Click!---
--- Click!---

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:39 am
heart Bump-eth! heart

helloxcthulhu

O.G. Bloodsucker

8,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

helloxcthulhu

O.G. Bloodsucker

8,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:45 am
bump
I don't think anyone is on! crying  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:53 am
Please don't bump here. It's a small forum and we're all active at different times. Since things move slowly there really is no need.

I don't mean to sound off, but if these are really old, why post them? You won't learn much by getting crits from what you've already improved upon and you might already know what people are telling you.

I want to know if you 1) use guidelines 2) draw nude then add clothing or just draw everything all at once?

As a general blanket statement, draw from life. Observed drawing is the best way to improve any style. All styles are based off reality, if only a little and if you know the rules you can bend them and still have the results look good and plausible.
A note on clothing, it sits on skin and so, unless its something like nylon that is uber thin and skintight, it should have some volume to it over the skin.

I'd really like to see some of your more recent stuff though, to see where you're at and not where you were.  

Wispered

helloxcthulhu

O.G. Bloodsucker

8,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:01 am
Eejbeej
Please don't bump here. It's a small forum and we're all active at different times. Since things move slowly there really is no need.

I don't mean to sound off, but if these are really old, why post them? You won't learn much by getting crits from what you've already improved upon and you might already know what people are telling you.

I want to know if you 1) use guidelines 2) draw nude then add clothing or just draw everything all at once?

As a general blanket statement, draw from life. Observed drawing is the best way to improve any style. All styles are based off reality, if only a little and if you know the rules you can bend them and still have the results look good and plausible.
A note on clothing, it sits on skin and so, unless its something like nylon that is uber thin and skintight, it should have some volume to it over the skin.

I'd really like to see some of your more recent stuff though, to see where you're at and not where you were.

Okay, sorry I won't do it anymore. sweatdrop

I felt that I should just post them because I can't really tell if I have changed at all even though I have been told I have.

I draw nude then add clothing, probably why my clothing seems like spandex. I will try to work on that! biggrin

I will try to get some more drawings up soon, thanks! heart  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:39 pm
The best advise I can give you is thicken your outline, and make the black areas more solid.

And Although I'm not really good with anatomy, work on it too. Let's work on improving our anatomy together. 3nodding

Explore on other mediums. Learn to use ink and color, or start using the computer for drawing.

Most importantly, Do not give up. If you see someone better here, be inspired! (like me!)

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

Mitsuko-sama

Adventuring Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:20 am
I left for a time...

Mm, some CC is headed your way. ^ ____ ^ *is still only half-awake*

As Roscoe Reyes said, anatomy is something you definitely to work on. When you're bored, just take note of how a person's facial features, etc., etc. are so that the next time you draw, you can employ what you remember seeing.

Sketching is an excellent way to start off a drawing. I'm sure you've seen tutorials out there which say start off with a stick figure type of drawing, yes? That's the basic kind of start for laying out the drawing. Just try to draw lightly during that step because it's a pain to erase later if you're a sketchy person like me. XD

Beyond that, I think once you get the gist of anatomy, you'll be able to wrap the clothes around your characters more. They'll have a more realistic look than simply a 2-D drawing.

And as always, draw inspiration from art that is better than yours (as Roscoe Reyes said); when you see someone better, ask yourself why and how they are. Work on those points after you figure them out so you'll improve. Don't just get frustrated if you see people better because at that point in time, there's a reason why they're better, they've gotten more experience or they've taken more time to work on drawing and blah, blah, blah. Aha.

Hope that helped you~! 3nodding

... now I'm back with a quest.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:25 pm
I put up more recent drawings! whee

helloxcthulhu

O.G. Bloodsucker

8,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

beddyteddy2

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:43 am
Based on your latest work:

I must say I like the fact that you put expressions on that character... there are some people who sort of leave it stagnant (focusing more on style than story-telling.. I for one like it when there's a story behind the image) Again.. I will reiterate the importance of anatomy. Perspective is very tricky and usually doesn't come out well (even if distortion was originally planned) if you didn't master/learn standard anatomy and poses. Though I do like the "breaking out of the norm" thing you went for this time. Compared to you older pieces this looks more adventurous and dynamic.  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:21 pm
Yush, anatomy is important, and proportions are as well!

When beginning a drawing try drawing a stick figure with all the joints, so that you know how every body part connects to the other. If you're not sure, ask a fried to pose for you. Always try to draw from life. :'D

Clothes/Folds Tutorial

The reason I linked you to that is because (I'm lazy and) it links to all her other tutorials in the description. Look at them, they are very helpful and easy to follow.

Basic Head tutorial

Basics are boring, but they are important. You need a foundation and this'll get you there. :'D Practice makes better. G'luck! <3  

KotokoPlum

helloxcthulhu

O.G. Bloodsucker

8,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:37 pm
Thank you very much! whee
I will try my best to work on anatomy at the moment! heart

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items